General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Bottoming Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008 | 09:25 AM
lecomte38
Tourer
Default RE: Front End Bottoming Out

+1 HEAVIER FORK OIL. You can also add a little more oil then is called for. Try SE racing oil. There are many hevier weight fork oils on the market used by racing bikes for fine tuning to the track conditions. You won' t bottom out with 50 weight oil.

Old 02-04-2008 | 03:39 PM
Berella
|
Novice

Thanks for the input. I have e-mailed progressive and am waiting on a reply. I will take the bike and the recommendations from progressive into the dealership when this weather gets better. I really don't want to go back to the stock set up as just the rear shock change out was not enough for me to be able to flat foot when sitting on the bike. This may also be the clunking I hear when I hit bumps - maybe not enough oil? I was told that because there were pvc spacers in there now that I will hear that noise....not so sure I agree. I have had the steering head bolt come loose between services twice and I had to have that addressed as well. Anymore ideas are appreciated.

Old 02-04-2008 | 03:52 PM
HogFather
Road Captain

Had the dealer put a chrome frontend on my Electra Glide over xmas, since then the front hits hard at bumps. Thought the tire pressure was low, but it checked out. Has to be the oil weight or wrong amount in the tubes. Can't believe the dealer could make a mistake, after all we are paying top dollar for that mechanic.

Old 02-04-2008 | 04:38 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Berella

I have had the steering head bolt come loose between services twice and I had to have that addressed as well. Anymore ideas are appreciated.
That is another issue that should have never come up (no issues should in a perfect world, but). If you look through the parts manual for your bike, IIRC there is a lock washer that is set up so a tab on the washer fits into a small hole in the top triple clamp, and then you bend the side of the washer up against the steering head nut, so the nut cant back off and loosen, giving you that "clunk" when you go over a bump.

Old 02-04-2008 | 05:59 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

Berela, everything I've read on these threads about the newer Dynas, yours, there is no drain plug in the forks to change fork oil real easy. The dealer or somebody else will have remove your forks just to change your fork oil. On my superglide I went from harley's "E" oil to Belray's 10w and that helped. I really doubt your dealer would take your bike out of warranty "spec". Listen to what progressive sez, see if your dealer will comply, if not, find a good independent to help you out. Maybe "Trotter" will chime in, he sounds like he's gothis act together. My 05 lowrider is pretty solid up front, but then it hasn't been lowered. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-04-2008 | 06:41 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the same problem when I lowered my bike I just put more oil in it. Just remember to add the exact amount to each one,start w/ a small amount and work up. I think I put like 4oz in each one an oz @ a time

Old 02-05-2008 | 01:36 PM
Berella
|
Novice

I got an answer back from progressive last night. They said that it sounds like it is low on oil and to add some to each fork but to be sure that it is an equal amount in both forks. Iwill have the dealership address this when I bring it in.It just really bothers me that they did not take the time to look into it when I have complained about it for months. I will also have them look into the washer tab on the steering head nut (I came across that as I was reading throught the service manual). Thanks for the input.