General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailers, Harleys and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:34 AM
wildey
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trailers, Harleys and warranty

It seems that no matter what dealer you go to they all say that if you install a trailer hitch on your Harley your warranty will be voided. But I can't seem to find this anywhere in writing. Also the sticker on your football air cleaner talks about how pulling a trailer could be dangerous but it does not say it will void your warrant.

My second problem with this is that you can buy and install a side car which will put a different load on the bike, not to mention with the passenger and the sidecar the weight will exceed that of a trailer.

I don't get it. Does anyone have any real answers to the above. Is it written anywhere else that you know if that the can void your warranty??

Thank you

Old 02-03-2008, 11:54 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Trailers, Harleys and warranty

You make a excellent point with trailer/sidecar question. The motor company claims that sidecars are designed and tested for h-d vehicles. H-D does not support trailer towing and I suppose they have some logic behind this decision; maybe liability issues, who knows. Sooooo. to answer your question, H-D can void your warranty if you have a trailer rig. But they do not actively look for trailer towers so they can void warranties, at least most of the time they don't. Let a factory rep that is having a REALLY bad day find one on his "turf" and out comes the camera and the vin is recorded and bingo---voided warranty. Most of the time they will overlook such things but keep in mind that it is always there and can be invoked at their discretion. hope that helps.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:03 PM
DragonsBreath
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked my dealer before I installed mine. How it was explained to me was the MOCO does not sell or install trailer/hitches so they will not warranty them. They could refuse coverage if they think that the damage was a result of improper load or from towing the trailer. Then he told me he has yet to have that happen at his shop and even replaced a friends trans. twice under warranty and he always travels with a trailer.

IMO if it is installed and loaded correctly the extra load on the bike is minimal. What you need to watch out for is the handling of the bike when you are towing. Give yourself room to break and take it easy through the twisties.

YMMV.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:45 PM
cardoctor
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesnt a side car have its own braking system . a trailer doesnt have brakes .

JR

Old 02-03-2008, 03:27 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I get digusted with Harley dealers lying to their customers all the time. There is a Federal law called the Magunson-Moss act which states in essance that "NO" modification will void a warrenty unless the manufacture can prove that the modification was the cause of the failure. How many modified vette's and stangs are out there with warrenty and mods. Their dealer doesn't say "void".. HD dealers are the last sob's pulling that chit on their customers. The same thing when they say you must do th 1K and 5K service to maintain warrenty. BS-BS-BS-BS

Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 PM
sldavis
Road Captain

Hah, if you believe that you ought to read some of the diesel truck forums. Install a hi flow aftermarket air filter on a Ford Powerstroke and watch how fast they void your engine warranty. MM says they cannot mandate their parts, but if you install a part that does not meet their specs, you are onyour own. Since HDdoes not spec out trailers, I would say you are screwed it they want to.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Bumm
Advanced

So when you blow your engine, crash your transmission, or loose your drive belt, TAKE OFF THE HITCH BEFORE YOU TAKE YOUR BIKE IN

Old 02-03-2008, 09:44 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

Mine has electric brakes. Same control as a truck or car pulling a trailer.
chappy

ORIGINAL: cardoctor

doesnt a side car have its own braking system . a trailer doesnt have brakes .

JR

Old 02-03-2008, 09:46 PM
kwoozn
Road Captain

My dealer told me, if I install a hitch and if I should have a problem that I would be bringing in to fix remove the "said hitch" and they would carry on!
No harm, no foul!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sldavis

Hah, if you believe that you ought to read some of the diesel truck forums. Install a hi flow aftermarket air filter on a Ford Powerstroke and watch how fast they void your engine warranty. MM says they cannot mandate their parts, but if you install a part that does not meet their specs, you are onyour own. Since HDdoes not spec out trailers, I would say you are screwed it they want to.

I've got a good friend that has had 4 power strokes replaced, all had after market intakes, exhaust and computer modules. After the last one they gave him a awsome deal on a new 450 super duty.

Quick Reply: Trailers, Harleys and warranty