Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last of Larry's bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:32 PM
redheadedharleylady
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Last of Larry's bikes.

here is a pic of the pic I took...sorry for the glare...

[IMG]local://upfiles/32139/B55B9194F0594429ADC9E1F20B26DA38.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 216 Posts

He was awesome! I really appreciated his sense of style and quality. If he had been wearing a helmet when he fell off his bike while performing stunts in Myrtle Beach, he would probably still be with us.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:51 PM
titomalu
Cruiser

I never met larry, but I've met Paul and some of the folks from Indian Larry at the Caribbean Bike Week here in Puerto Rico that we held in Dec 2005, here are some pictures....great bikes...

With Paul and Kendall

Larry's bikes

There are many of us fans that will never forget him !!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

I never had the luck to meet him. I only watched the TV show, the special on his life and when they built the Love Zombie, and were his attitude and personality that caught me, bikes apart (which are, in my very humble opinion, incredible). His very simple, easy going, down to ground behavior. It didn't strike me as a pose for the screen: I think it was just how he was, the man believed in what he said, and did what he said and took life as it came, trying to get the most out of it. I believe he was kind of a philosopher, under many aspects.
His bikes... well... Who would weld a chain to make a frame? Who would build a pan-shovel?
And the detail, the weird, dream like quality of his bikes...
I've ordered his bio on Amazon. I'm curious to learn more about the man, as well as about the bikes.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:22 PM
titomalu
Cruiser

when I saw the bikes in person,Wild Child-Chain of Mystery-Daddy 0 (pictured above) - the detail sorrounding these machines was incredible. The pan shovels, the detail around the lifters, engravings, the awesome seats, chain frame, bent frame.... these machines are a true work of art. I hope they remain available for the public to see and enjoy as memory of the incredible person that was Larry.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:33 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered the Discovery Channel build off dvd. Does anyone know whether or not the book titled "Grease Monkey, The Life and Times of Motorcycle Artist Indian Larry" was ever published?
Couldn't find anything on the internet except it would be published in 2006.

His other book "Indian Larry, Chopper Shaman is readily available on half.com and Ebay.

Wonder what kind of price his bikes demand now if you could find one for sale.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:55 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

ORIGINAL: FandA M

Yes ,trulyone of a kind.I just heard that Kieno will be branching out and starting his own shop.Paul *** is also starting a new venture ,continueing to do his leather work and building bikes.I believe both will remain in Brooklyn.Not sure what will happen with the original shop.Paul and Kieno are two amazing people and I don't think anyone else would have been able to keep the Indian Larry Legacy alivelike they did.
Doesn't look to me like they did keep the legacy alive or they wouldn't be moving on.

Larry was Larry. Nobody else even comes close.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:45 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

They built some great bikes, and some, like Love Zombie, almost seem like Larry himself built them.
Yes, it seems to me like another tombstone on Larry's grave that the Legacy is shut down, but people have to live on their lives, I guess. Nothing lasts forever...

Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 99octane

They built some great bikes, and some, like Love Zombie, almost seem like Larry himself built them.
Yes, it seems to me like another tombstone on Larry's grave that the Legacy is shut down, but people have to live on their lives, I guess. Nothing lasts forever...
I completely agree,Paul and Kieno built some beautiful bikes in the spirit of their friend and mentor.They did a hell of a job keeping the Legacy going and I'm sure they still will in some form or other,but as you said it's probably time for them to move on.They are both very talented and maybe it's time they eachbuilt their own legacy.................It is sad and does seem kind of final though

Old 02-01-2008, 07:10 PM
candyx
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only learned about Indian larry by watching Discovery show and I was never a big fan of that old school style.Even the first time i saw his work i wasn't fond of it,but then i watched another build he did and truly became a fan of him and his bikes.I think he built one of the best old school style bikes ever,one that would last you a life time.It was definitly a peice of machinery he built , it was a shame that he left us it would of been nice to have him build you a bike.

Quick Reply: Last of Larry's bikes.