Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metzler Tires rock!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Metzler Tires rock!

Got some new tires for the Fatboy a few days ago. With the rain we have been having in San Diego I havent gotten to ride untill today. I have to say the Metzler ME880's are great tires. They dont follow the rain grooves in the road like the dunlops do, they have a softer ride, hold the corners better, and the best part, they make the bike handle better. I bearly have to push on the bars and the bike just lays over. They are great tires and Ill recomend them to anyone. By the way, the stock Dunlops had 11K miles on them.

Chris

Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 AM
azhole
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Metzler Tires rock!

From what I hear, no experience with them yet, but the metzlers supposedly won't last as long, but I don't know. I put a metzler on my front rim on my sporty, cause they didn't have a dunlop at that moment, and it seemed to ride nicer, and not grab the grooves like you said. I would ride on a road under construction and the ultra, with dunlops, would track those grooves bad, but the sporty with the metzler didn't. Nice
My biggest concern when I thought about metzlers for my ultra, was maybe being sent the bad ones that were manufactured in Brazil, that people were discussing on this site some months back. I had a chance to get some really inexpensive ones on ebay, but passed cause the guy wouldn't tell me where the manufacture plant was for them.
Glad to hear the report, I just wonder how long they'll last you.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:50 AM
titomalu
Cruiser

they are way better than the stock dunlops. I have had them on my EG Std. The first pair lasted from 2k - 9k, only 7000 miles. I replaced them with new ME 880s. They are smooooth, soft and feel great. I have heard that the E3's from Dunlop are very good. My buddy has them on his Valkyrie and swears by them. I might try them when I replace the ME 880's that I put three weeks ago.

Supposedly the new Elite 3's will last longer than the Metzeler's. Although I don't care that much given that in a motorcycle, the tires are key and you should not hesitate when spending on a good set of tires.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Bodyshot1
Road Captain

..I switched-outthe stock Dunlops on my Buell to Metzlers..couldn't believe the difference. As soon as I get some miles on the softail, def going with Metzlers.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:10 AM
EVO80
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love how the Metz feel on the road - great overall tires. With that said, I am switching back to OEM's Dunlops as the mileage I'm getting out of the Metz's is killing me. I haven't been able to get more than 8K, and that's pushing the tread life, out of the Metz on my RoadKing. I have no complaints aboutDunlops (never felt thattheir performance was anything but good)and I was getting 12K or more out a set of them.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed my Dunflops and put on ME880s and felt like someone had switched bikes with me. Mets made it soooo much better.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, you put brand new tires on your bike and the first day you're testing them in the corners. You're a better man than I am.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,823 Likes on 802 Posts

Love my ME880s! I'm on my second set, and I got about 10K miles out of the front and 12K miles out of the rear on the first set.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What I want is some tires that will give me some mileage. I haven't even had my RKC a year and I'm getting ready to put on my third set of tires.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think 8k miles on a set of tires is not too shabby. That being said I must have about 7K on my Metzlers and have quite a bit to go. I'd rather stick to the gound better any day. I feel the same way about tmetzlers. The shape of the tire causes them to fall into corners far better than the dunlops. And they are sticky. Obviously a lot of you have never ridden sport bikes agressively.

Quick Reply: Metzler Tires rock!