General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metzler Tires rock!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:31 AM
DiggerD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Metzler Tires rock!

Love the ME 880's, like everyone sez, they don't track in the rain grooves and seem to ride alot smoother. I'm about 3k miles into this set and they seem to be holding up pretty good so far.

DD

Old 01-30-2008, 11:40 AM
SoCal Harley
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Switched to Metzelers about 5K miles ago. GREAT tires! Will never use anything else.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:00 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Metzler 880's on my wideglide. Like the tires because they don't track to the grooves or rails in the street. This it the second set. I may not put a third set on. They ride and handle good but don't last. 8,000 miles about tops front and rear. I get 12,000 miles out of the Dunlop on my softtail classic on the back tire, twice that on the front. I check air pressure and tires are balanced often but the Metzlers try to cup some also.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Tnicean
Tourer

I put a new set of Metzlers on my Heritage and got 10,000 miles on the rear tire. I had a new rear tire installed. Front is still pretty good. I have about 16,000 miles on it and 6,000 on the rear. It looks like I am on track to replace a rear every 10K and the front every 20K and that was what I was getting from the Dunlops before I switched. I like the Metzlers for how they don't follow cracks. I have never pushed them on a wet road but I feel pretty secure with them. I plan to stick with the Metzlers on my Heritage Softail Classic. They work good for me and are not that much more than Dunlop.
TNicean

Old 01-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Hey Chris they work great in the rain too! Grip real good.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got 20,000 km's on my ME880's. Probably could still get 2,000 more on the back, and the front could probably see another 5,000, easily. That's with normal driving.

I put a set on my Hayabusa, which also comprised a 240 rear. Put 12,000 km's on them, which is unheard of on a sport bike. And regardless of what the manufacturer says, the ME880 is capable of sustained speeds of over 300 km/h. And by sustained, I mean from Parry Sound to Cookstown type of sustained.

I've been a Metzeler guy my entire life, from the Comp K's, to the MEZ1's, and now to the ME880's. Just put a set of Sportec MEZ3's on my Ducati. I agree with the opinions about them in the rain; they made enough of a difference that I actually noticed it while riding.

Cannon

Old 01-30-2008, 08:23 PM
landest
Road Warrior

Take it from someone who runs in the rain all the time....Avg 70Mph I-5, Windy, Standing Water etc....Washington State,Metz (ME880's) are the only tires I will buy. They stick to the road like glue....

Old 01-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

After pming several members concerning blow outs, Ill stay with the dunlops. Seems when you have a flat with metz at highway speed your going down. The lops have such a stiff sidewall several people stated they were able to ride home with 0 pressure. One guy had his wife on pillion and rode home flat.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 PM
landest
Road Warrior

Would like to hear more... I have had a flat with a Metz... Bike slowed but did not loose control... Interesting [8D]

Old 01-30-2008, 10:43 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Hogaholic

After pming several members concerning blow outs, Ill stay with the dunlops. Seems when you have a flat with metz at highway speed your going down. The lops have such a stiff sidewall several people stated they were able to ride home with 0 pressure. One guy had his wife on pillion and rode home flat.
Never had any problems with the Metzlers tires in a long long time, no "blowouts" or loss of control.....but I never really had any problems with the Dunlops either.
Given the choice....I would take the Metzlers every time. The only issue I have heard about was with a small group of tires that was made in Brazil.....as opposed to Germany.

Quick Reply: Metzler Tires rock!