General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denim Paint ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Iceman48
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denim Paint ?

This morning I put a deposit on a Fat Bob with the red denim paint job. However, I called the salesperson this afternoon to ask him a few questions in regards to the delivery date and such. Somewhere in the conversation he thought he`d let me know that you couldn`t just use any regular cleaning or wax products on the denim paint, as it could mar the finish or at the very least give it an unsatisfactory look. Furthermore, he said it would be fair to warn me, that the denim look could have a distressed or a patina look after a couple of years.................for the lack of a better description. Have any of you with the denim paint jobs exprerienced this phenomenon and how bad is it ? As much as I really liked the pics I`ve seen of the crimson red denim or even black denim, I have put my purchase on hold until I find out more from actual owners. I`d appreciate any comment, good or bad, in this regard. Thx !

Roger

Old 01-29-2008, 05:18 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Denim Paint ?

Been discussed a trillion times... Try the search and ye shall find.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:19 PM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't taken delivery on mine yet, but I've seen a number of "denim" color Harleys. None of them had much of patina look. I'm sure it will happen but it ill take time. years probably.

The denim is to give the bike a hot rod look, like primer. A little distress is a good thing for these kind of paint jobs, especially on a bike like the Fat Bob.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

No waxing.. why would you want a shine? Sort of defeats the look, right?

I was told to use windex but I let a few of the owners with a bike post about that.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Idiot
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No wax. I use just a mild soap and warm water. You'll like the denim finish on that bike.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:51 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What do you do if you scratch it. You can't 'buff' it out. You would have to repaint. Personal opinion only but I'd be afraid of it.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:58 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh no....a scratch!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Jetpat
Banned

The Denim color, as the name implies, is like a pair of jeans. Its meant to wear down and fade in spots. If you leave it in the sunlight, the areas that get the brunt of the sun fade a bit. Its supposed to add character. The denim was meant, IMO, for guys like me who were tired of constantly washing/waxing the finish to make it pretty. This is a bike NOT meant to be polished. If you use the Windex, make sure to dilute it well. Hell, if its the look you're going after, you don't even want to wash it. Maybe spray it down now and again, but use no detergent on it as you'd surely screw up the paint then.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:18 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think that some bikes with the denim will look better over time cant wait to see the blue denim on someones bike in 5 years or so maybe in 25 it will look awsome

Old 01-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Ridedeluxehd
Road Captain

I think the look awesome already the will just keep getting better with age Just like fine wine!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

I've used full strength "ammonia based glass cleaner" (gues MoCo can't say Windex[r]) with fine success. Sure I'll give it an S100 dueche once in a while but, hey, it's a factory Rat Bike for cyin' out loud!

Quick Reply: Denim Paint ?