General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Warranty Question

Wil: Put it in WRITING! .....NOW!. Write the Dealer and copy the H-D man at MOCO. Simply reiterate everything that has happened to date, who and when you talked to (both in person and over the phone), what was said (short paraphrase is OK) and what you expect from the Dealer. Keep it civil. Nothing really happens legally unless it is documented. To come up with a different story, the Dealer will have to reply by letter. If they don't, your version wins in court. Write them a letter confirming every conversation with Dealer and MOCO. They will get the idea that you are serious about this problem and are not going away. Don't try to interpret their Warranty. You have the right to reasonably assume that a new engine is not going to leak oil for many years of use. They will fix the problem. It just might take a few letters. Keep copies of everything! Don't make any threats about legal action.....yet. They will see that you are building a rock solid case and they will do what ever it takes to make the problem (you) go away.

You will be amazed at the power of the written letter in this type of situation.

A few years ago, I had the same problem with an Audi 5000 auto engine that was just out of warranty. I learned that they had a design defect in the engine, but they were not going to admit that. Eight letters later, they rebuilt the engine at their expense and gave me a loaner while they did it. .......... BC

Old 01-16-2006, 08:47 PM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has any single owner ever taken Harley to court over warranty repairs? I suppose the dealers operate under franchising laws which probably insulates the MOCO from any liability, but the little guy is bound to run into a case of HD dealer thnking it'll never go to court, not even small claims.

I've never used HD warranty service, the joy of where I've lived and worked produces oodles of qualified and willing private mechanics.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Wilinfla
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I got a call from the dealer and just as I expected they aren't going to fix the wifes Sportster. They said they put dye in it and then rode it for 40 miles and it doesn't weep, seep or leak. I will pick the bike up tomorrow and write Harley and then document how many miles it takes before you start to see the leak again. It would seem that Harley doesn't consider oil on the outside of the engine a problem. I expected that from my 1968 Sportster, but not from a 2005. If this is how Harley responds to warranty work I don't see another new Harley in my future.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:57 PM
bassrock
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

That flat out stinks. Can't believe some of the warranty work that dealers push off as common. Haven't had it happen to me but you sure hear about it on the board. Good luck on your problem.