Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Rental Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 02:10 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Harley Rental Insurance

Guys,
Does anyone have experience with bikerentalsfrom a HD dealership?My wife and I are flying to see my father-in-law. We all want to go to a local rally, so I am renting a bike for the weekend. I am renting a Street Glide when intown to see them.Here is my question: They want $36 per day for very very poor coverage and a $2000 deductiable(WTF!!).I told the dealer rental guy my motorcycleinsurance covers rentals, full coverage and $0 deducitable(confirmed with the insurance company) and I dont want his extra insurance. He seemed kind of stand offish like I was trying to rip off the dealeror something. Does any one have any expericene with using your motorcycle policy to rent another bike?

Old 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Harley Rental Insurance

I've rented bikes at dealers a few times and I always go for the max coverage. I don't need the stress of worrying about the bike being stolen or damaged. To me it's worth the peace of mind.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:21 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said. All it takes is a little gravel in the road that you aren't familiar with and you are out some big bucks. We went to Hawaii 1-1/2 years ago... $20 a day was cheap insurance.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: petemac

I've rented bikes at dealers a few times and I always go for the max coverage. I don't need the stress of worrying about the bike being stolen or damaged. To me it's worth the peace of mind.
The dealerdoes notoffer max coverage, all they offer is partial coverage with a $2000 deduciable. So if it gets stolen I have to pay $2000. That is why I told them I will use my own insurance which will cover everything with no deduciable.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

If your insurance really will cover the $2,000 deductible then you have no worries. But I'd get this in writing from my agent first, don't want to call with a claim and hear, "Huh?".

ORIGINAL: wbogley

The dealerdoes notoffer max coverage, all they offer is partial coverage with a $2000 deduciable. So if it gets stolen I have to pay $2000. That is why I told them I will use my own insurance which will cover everything with no deduciable.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:42 PM
07BlkCherryUltra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I rented last March I hadn't been on a bike in 5 years. The dealer offered the insurance that let's you total the bike and walk away without liability (if you can get up and walk away that is) I jumped at it.

Now that I own a bike and have the full coverage insurance needed when financing I wouldn't pay extra for their insurance. Same goes for renting a car. They get so pissy when I tell them that I don't want ANYTHING. The one thing I do though is bring my surancepolicy number and agents number, just incase.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:47 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

If your insurance really will cover the $2,000 deductible then you have no worries. But I'd get this in writing from my agent first, don't want to call with a claim and hear, "Huh?".

I agree, My insurance comapny gave me $25,000 in full rental coverage for $21PER YEAR,The dealer wants $36 PER DAY!!! I guess that is why we call them stealers!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:48 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

This isn't apples to apples. I do the same and don't take any insurance coverage when renting cars since when I use my amex card it covers my deductible from my insurance company. HD delaers make$$of this insurance and if you don't take it, they will just not rent to you.Also, your credit cardhas a "hold"(don't know the exact term) for thedecuctible amount(around$2,500) so they are getting their money either way.

ORIGINAL: 07BlkCherryUltra

When I rented last March I hadn't been on a bike in 5 years. The dealer offered the insurance that let's you total the bike and walk away without liability (if you can get up and walk away that is) I jumped at it.

Now that I own a bike and have the full coverage insurance needed when financing I wouldn't pay extra for their insurance. Same goes for renting a car. They get so pissy when I tell them that I don't want ANYTHING. The one thing I do though is bring my surancepolicy number and agents number, just incase.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:51 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

They hold all the cards and know it. Their attiude is pay for the insurance or rent some place else. I'm sure part of it is they don't see why they should have to get involved with a third party insurance company, and all the hassles that go with it, when they can just make you take their insurance.

I agree, My insurance comapny gave me $25,000 in full rental coverage for $21PER YEAR,The dealer wants $36 PER DAY!!! I guess that is why we call them stealers!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Jetpat
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...I just rented a couple weeks ago. Paid $110/24 hrs. and $20 for insurance - whole kit and kaboodle for a Night Train. Yup, they put a $1000 hold on my CC to cover any damages, but I don't think the insurance was a big deal at all. This was in AZ.

Quick Reply: Harley Rental Insurance