Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's cheapest TC88B upgrade to 100TQ/100HP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:21 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What's cheapest TC88B upgrade to 100TQ/100HP?

ORIGINAL: Gutman

ORIGINAL: JeffreyLebowski

Get on craigslist and do a search for V-MAX or ZRX....sorry man just jerkin your chain.

I can tell you what not to do. Don't go to your dealer. Screaming Eagle parts are expensive, and I don't think it's because they are the best. My bike runs great now, but I'm pretty sure I could have had better results for cheaper. Ask around a lot, find a good independent shop in your area.

That may qualify in your area, but how can you base that as a response. The Imdies in my are don't know squat about Twin Cams. I have built hundred's of bikes with SE parts that make well overa hundredhorse. I am a dealer. Don'tproject personal experience to everyone. Next time quote about higher priced and maybe using other parts, or don't go to this dealer to help out. Some dealers are good.
It looks like most of these cheaper solutions are just modified stock heads and jugs. Does your shop take stock parts and have them machined to get as good or better performance and can I expect that from my local dealers? I have heard that my dealer has an excellent performance minded shop and the rates during the winter are reasonable, but I've not asked them about just working my original heads and jugs.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Gutman
Road Master

I don't care if you don't stand up for what you believe. Dealer "S" aren't the problem. Labowski is in MD and Deuce is in MO.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:31 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

hate to say this but I really don't think just 95 inch will get you 100/100 by it's self you will at the least need cams so might as well go with the porting when torn down. also I have been told it is best to get your cylinders rebored or use ones that have been run in as apposed to new...price I have no idea except cams 1300 for me and that is probably the biggest increase you can get cheap..

Old 01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

ORIGINAL: grumpy irish again

hate to say this but I really don't think just 95 inch will get you 100/100 by it's self you will at the least need cams so might as well go with the porting when torn down. also I have been told it is best to get your cylinders rebored or use ones that have been run in as apposed to new...price I have no idea except cams 1300 for me and that is probably the biggest increase you can get cheap..
I'm with you on the cam and it looks like if you're going to go through this much work on the engine it is probably worth the extra money to go on up to a 110-117" stroker and not go as wild on the compression and cam lift. Basically let the cubic inches work for you. but it looks like with a new crankshaft that would put me up around $4K not really sticking to the low cost theme. I guess low cost is all relevant to the size of your wallet. I've definately seen some 95" performance kits that include cams that advertise 110+TQ 110+HP for around $1600 for parts minus a few misc gaskets. Surely I can get labor and the rest of the misc parts for another $1500.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:42 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gutman

ORIGINAL: JeffreyLebowski

Get on craigslist and do a search for V-MAX or ZRX....sorry man just jerkin your chain.

I can tell you what not to do. Don't go to your dealer. Screaming Eagle parts are expensive, and I don't think it's because they are the best. My bike runs great now, but I'm pretty sure I could have had better results for cheaper. Ask around a lot, find a good independent shop in your area.

That may qualify in your area, but how can you base that as a response. The Imdies in my are don't know squat about Twin Cams. I have built hundred's of bikes with SE parts that make well over a hundredhorse. I am a dealer. Don't project personal experience to everyone. Next time quote about higher priced and maybe using other parts, or don't go to this dealer to help out. Some dealers are good.
Good for you. You are projecting your experience as well. We all do that. So what. That's life on the internet. Deal with it. Lot's of people get burned at dealers. I feel like I've been burned several times as well. Look around this forum. If you have a reasonably competitive Screaming Eagle package in terms of price and performance, discuss it.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 PM
pokie
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deal or no deal I dont know. Surdyke in Festus Mo. Is offering 95 cu.in. upgrade for 1399.00 w/your choice of cams installed. Doesnt sound to bad , does it?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

ORIGINAL: pokie

Deal or no deal I dont know. Surdyke in Festus Mo. Is offering 95 cu.in. upgrade for 1399.00 w/your choice of cams installed. Doesnt sound to bad , does it?
Does that include labor?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 PM
pokie
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats with labor. I know, what about all the hidden fees because thats what I asked the guy at the service counter. He told me that the kit prices were dicounted and that the labor was 50% off through Feb. I tried to get Docs to give me the same deal they came down to 1800.00 and said thats the best they could do. The deal at Surdyke has been going since Thanksgiving.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: LowRyder

ORIGINAL: sonar_chris

GMR performance or Headquaters 95" kits. With a proper dyno tune you should get 100/100 reliable with good drive ablility. all in all youll probably spend anywhere from 2-3 grand depending on how fast you want to go.

Chris

Just curious, how do you figure 2-3K or is that w/o installation?
Lowryder
Parts, you can figure probably another 1000 for install and tune if you get lucky. As everyone stated above, a 95" kit alone wont do you very much good. You will need cams, head work and a bigger bore to get to the 100/100 club. You can try to do a budget build if you have your own jugs bored out, and have your heads ported, selecting your cam could be a bit of a problem, because knowing the compression ratio of your new pistons with a different gasket and stock combustion chamber could be trickey. I honestly belive for the most reliablility, performance, and expense you should buy a pre designed kit and install it. That way you know what you are getting through someone elses trial and error. Also with companies like GMR and Hq, if you do have problems with your tune, they can provide maps and tech support.

Chris

Old 01-29-2008, 01:41 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I bought a used set of jugs and pistons, a used set of cams, and just need a bit more to get it started... I don't think I will be anywhere near 100/100, but who knows, I might get lucky... for me, total hp/tq is not that important. I just want something that will haul my fat @ss around, quicker than what I have now... don't forget, with the stock carb, you might need to get some work done on it, as well. I have the stock 40mm, and am thinking of having it worked (along with the heads)... just a matter of getting the money together...

Quick Reply: What's cheapest TC88B upgrade to 100TQ/100HP?