General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone running HID ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default RE: anyone running HID ?

ORIGINAL: zukeeper

I have the skull 5 3/4 lens , it was a huge improvement over the stock one. I have another question for you ...sorry ...

how visible is the HID during daylight ? I mean , will cages be able to see it OK ? sorry for the questions, just no where to ask in my rural area.
A good question. I do not know. I have always rode my bike & never thought of it. It may take a day or two to take the bike out & put a friend in a car to check it out. If I give an answer, it is because I have done it.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:38 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: capt42a
I don't know about the Harley HID lighting, but a friend I ride with has an aftermarket HID and it's terrible to ride in front of him at night. It may be that he doesn't have it adjusted correctly, but we have to make him ride in front after dark to keep us from being blinded. I'd be interested in the Harley version if it wasn't so damn erxpensive.
capt42a
If properly adjusted, a HID is always more noticeable because of the light wave and the brightness. My bike is adjusted properly and I am always asked to ride up front. The lighting of the bike next to me is completely washed out, useful as a marker light only. You will stand out much more and not be ignored at night. I think this is a good thing as it beats the alternative.... I do not think that it effects a woman on a cell phone, however...which is a bad thing.

The Harley kit is low beam only. At night and when traffic permits, HID is necessary on Hi beams in rual areas.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:49 AM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey FastHarley. Great site. I was thinking about putting them the 08 RG when it comes in. I take it I'm going to have to double the cost due to the twin headlights or is there a deal for those of us that can't or won't be able to get away with just one??

Also I seen the installation link for the RG, Was there enough room for the ballasts in the fairing and if so, is there a heat issue if it's installed there?

Also, (Three more quick questions):

1. Heat from the bulbs in the stock housing.

2. Length of the bulbs in the factory housing. ( I know they're long and the RG not in yet so I'm not sure if there is a end piece in front of the bulb like my Grand Cherokee)

3. Change in draw on the electrical system. Could it have adverse effects on any other components such as "Fly By Wire" Throttle??

Thanks

Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Heat from the bulbs in the stock housing. [ul][*]No problem. The bulbs only draw 2.7 amps (about 1/2 of the draw of one stock bulb) and the gas is illuminated (Gas discharge lamp) such as a Fluorescent Light Bulb (perhaps the best known gas discharge lamp). The light in HID lights is emitted from an arc discharge between two electrodes. HID lights replace the filament of the light bulb with a capsule of gas. HID bulbs are not very hot at all. There is no filament (incandescent) that must be heated to produce light for the glow.[/ul]
Length of the bulbs in the factory housing.[ul][*]No problems here. See my installation page.
[/ul]Change in draw on the electrical system?
[ul][*]We provide a relay with a separate circuit. Your system provides only a pulse to activate the relay. This is the same principle as your key-switch & starter button. The total draw is 35 watts per light bulb wither hi or low beam. In the case of Road Glides, you need 2. The light produces should be very bright. I have sold some to Road Glide riders but none has posted or called me back to report results. I do not bother my customers by calling them. It sure would be nice if they would post their experiences. It would give unsolicited testimony. I use HID, as that is why I got into this in the first place.[/ul] twin headlights or is there a deal for those of us that can't or won't be able to get away with just one? [ul][*]Call me. I would like for someone to write the truth on HDForums about your experiences with my product and myself. Let the chips fall as they may.[/ul]

Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Gigawitz
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to pull the trigger and upgrade to HID this Friday, I'll let you all know what I think when it's installed. I ride alot at night, gotta be worth it...

Old 01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have accessory HID lights? I'm not looking to replace both my RG headlights, but would like to add accessory oval spots. The ones I saw at the dome at last year's Dealer Expo were the PIAA small oval blue 35 watters which were along the lines of what I had in mind.
ORIGINAL: FastHarley

Heat from the bulbs in the stock housing.
[ul][*]No problem. The bulbs only draw 2.7 amps (about 1/2 of the draw of one stock bulb) and the gas is illuminated (Gas discharge lamp) such as a Fluorescent Light Bulb (perhaps the best known gas discharge lamp). The light in HID lights is emitted from an arc discharge between two electrodes. HID lights replace the filament of the light bulb with a capsule of gas. HID bulbs are not very hot at all. There is no filament (incandescent) that must be heated to produce light for the glow.[/ul]
Length of the bulbs in the factory housing.
[ul][*]No problems here. See my installation page. [/ul]Change in draw on the electrical system?
[ul][*]We provide a relay with a separate circuit. Your system provides only a pulse to activate the relay. This is the same principle as your key-switch & starter button. The total draw is 35 watts per light bulb wither hi or low beam. In the case of Road Glides, you need 2. The light produces should be very bright. I have sold some to Road Glide riders but none has posted or called me back to report results. I do not bother my customers by calling them. It sure would be nice if they would post their experiences. It would give unsolicited testimony. I use HID, as that is why I got into this in the first place.[/ul]twin headlights or is there a deal for those of us that can't or won't be able to get away with just one?
[ul][*]Call me. I would like for someone to write the truth on HDForums about your experiences with my product and myself. Let the chips fall as they may.[/ul]

Old 01-30-2008, 04:32 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply Howard. The RG comes in End of Febuary/ mid March. I'll give you a call when it gets in.

About the ballast. I know I'll need two. Was there enough room in the fairing or put it by the battery and use the 6' cable??

Is there any heat that comes off the ballasts or am I correct to assume that the give the lights the jump to ignite the gasses and then keep a constant current? Heat and ventalations concerns for the ballasts??

I was going to put them on the Cherokee, but with the day time running lights (high beam or low beam @ 50% power)set up there was a lot on messing around and lose my auto-on headlight option if I wanted all 4 to be HID.

Sorry for all the questions........ I'll call you when the bike gets in.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:55 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

[ol][*]Question: Was there enough room in the fairing Ans: Plenty of room. These ballasts are very small. Get a magic marker & a pack of cigarettes and a MM rule. Mark with the magic marker on the pack. You will get the idea and lay all of your concerns to rest.[*]Question: or put it by the battery and use the 6' cable?? Ans: You can do that also. I bought these units for choppers and customs. You can mount anywhere’s you wish.[*]Question: Is there any heat that comes off the ballasts or am I correct to assume that the give the lights the jump to ignite the gasses and then keep a constant current? Ans: The ballast gets warm. The purpose is to change (boost) the voltage to 20 HTZ a/c. Kind of like those globes with the lightening inside of them or a Frankenstein movie.[*]Question: Heat and ventilations concerns for the ballasts?? Ans: None for your case.[/ol]

Old 01-31-2008, 02:52 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: chiabate

Do you have accessory HID lights? I'm not looking to replace both my RG headlights, but would like to add accessory oval spots. The ones I saw at the dome at last year's Dealer Expo were the PIAA small oval blue 35 watters which were along the lines of what I had in mind.
ORIGINAL: FastHarley

For additional light check out Trailtech http://www.trailtech.net/single_hid_scmr16.htmlThe lights have the internal ballast. I have two on my FXST and they do make a difference Just have them hooked up to a toggle switch

Old 01-31-2008, 02:58 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soon as I find out what it is, I'm gonna run it!

Quick Reply: anyone running HID ?