General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone running HID ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: anyone running HID ?

I've been running a PIAA extreem white (antiviberation)H4,in my Sportie,for the last 9 months.I average 3hrs of run time every day,that calculates to over 800 hrs on one bulb.The Siverstar lasted about 3 months.The PIAA that I'm using is a rough service bulb.In Canada we don't have on/off switches on our bikes,head lights are always on.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Good info there Howard. I am curious what the price would be on a replacement HID
bulb and also the ballast.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:24 AM
sharkeydude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got the deer problem here in Mississippi in a bad way. I've never heard of the HID set-up. Does it help with scaring deer or just seeing deer. Most of the guys I ride with have the Deer Alert whistles on their bikes and rarely have a run-in.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:17 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

right now I'm running an adjure lens with a osram 70 /65 H4 bulb . I'm looking at two options pretty hard right now . HID or adding 3 inch adjure spotlights .
gonna go check out Howards site right now

Howard ,
I see your kits do not include a new lens/reflector. Have you had any problems with relectors meant for H4 fragmenting light when converted to HID ?

Old 01-29-2008, 04:49 PM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Howard, Great information. With your photo install info I know I can do this conversion. I will be ordering soon.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

ORIGINAL: WRAITH

I've been running a PIAA extreem white (antiviberation)H4,in my Sportie,for the last 9 months.I average 3hrs of run time every day,that calculates to over 800 hrs on one bulb.The Siverstar lasted about 3 months.The PIAA that I'm using is a rough service bulb.In Canada we don't have on/off switches on our bikes,head lights are always on.
Please click on my post #3 above. Go to the bulb information on Sylvania's own site for bulb life. If someone says they run a bulb for 24 months & drive 48,000 miles (like I have heard) and the bulb only has a 100 or 150 hour life, either Sylvania or someone else is not correct (in the case as the USA where lights are always on).

Old 01-29-2008, 05:23 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: atrox88

Good info there Howard. I am curious what the price would be on a replacement HID
bulb and also the ballast.
HERE> http://motorcyclemetal.com/gpage7.html
Please note, no matter whose unit you buy, feel free to use my install directions and/or call me toll free for help. Please know, there is a quality issue in all things. Please do a search on my threads as I outlined all of the best units by name. You always get what you pay for. Buy the owner as much as the product as we all well know. Problems, call toll free 1-866-899-5962. I will give you the truth.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:34 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: zukeeper

right now I'm running an adjure lens with a osram 70 /65 H4 bulb . I'm looking at two options pretty hard right now . HID or adding 3 inch adjure spotlights .
gonna go check out Howards site right now

Howard ,
I see your kits do not include a new lens/reflector. Have you had any problems with relectors meant for H4 fragmenting light when converted to HID ?
I have a stock Headwinds. I experience no problems. I believe that the problems start when you put em' in cars. They are cut (lens) for the sides of cars and different than a motorcycle. As with all of my products- every one of them with the exception of the V-Twin/Harley Catalog, you get a MONEY BACK GUARANTEED subjective in the customer's opinion to be the highest quality and best components available. This goes for my shocks, front suspension, Lyndall Racing pads, et al. Dick from Adjure makes some fine equipment. I like & use his "Ice" lens. It is in my Headwinds.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:05 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the skull 5 3/4 lens , it was a huge improvement over the stock one. I have another question for you ...sorry ...

how visible is the HID during daylight ? I mean , will cages be able to see it OK ? sorry for the questions, just no where to ask in my rural area.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 PM
capt42a
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about the Harley HID lighting, but a friend I ride with has an aftermarket HID and it's terrible to ride in front of him at night. It may be that he doesn't have it adjusted correctly, but we have to make him ride in front after dark to keep us from being blinded. I'd be interested in the Harley version if it wasn't so damn erxpensive.
capt42a

Quick Reply: anyone running HID ?