General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Naïve questions about engine and exhaust terminology

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:29 AM
ettev
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Naïve questions about engine and exhaust terminology

If an exhaust product is labeled as fitting '91-'95 Evo and '00-'05 Twin Cam engines does that mean it will work on a run of the mill 2003 Dyna Wide Glide? I'm just not all that familiar with the "EVOLUTION" terminology or production years.

Also, in looking at some hooker pipes for my bike the manufacturer has two sets listed in the style I like. On one they say 80 inches in the terminology and the other they say 96 inches. Are they talking about the length of the pipes, or something regarding the engine? If they are talking about pipe length what are the advantages of one over another?
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:38 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Naïve questions about engine and exhaust terminology

The Evolution part of your question is a totaly different motor than what you have in your 03 Wide glide. It is the motor HD produced prior to the Twin Cam. If the pipe manufactur states the pipes will fit an 00-05 twin cam, youll be just fine. Dont worry about the Evolution ( or EVO for short)

The second part of your question is about motor size not pipe lenght. the Evo motor that I talked about above is 80 cubic inches in size, the new twin cam motors 07 and newer are 96 cubic inches. The motor you have, if you havent donea big bore kit would be 88cu inches stock. So if the pipe maker states the pipes will fit the 96 engine, the should fit the 88 cu inch motor you have, however those pipes will have bungs in them for 02 sensors that your wide glide will not have. At that point if you buy them you will need to plug those holes and you can use them.

Chris

Old 01-27-2008, 10:26 AM
ettev
Advanced

ORIGINAL: sonar_chris

The second part of your question is about motor size not pipe lenght. the Evo motor that I talked about above is 80 cubic inches in size, the new twin cam motors 07 and newer are 96 cubic inches. The motor you have, if you havent donea big bore kit would be 88cu inches stock. So if the pipe maker states the pipes will fit the 96 engine, the should fit the 88 cu inch motor you have, however those pipes will have bungs in them for 02 sensors that your wide glide will not have. At that point if you buy them you will need to plug those holes and you can use them.

Chris
Chris,
The pipes I can buy state they will fit 1991-2005 Dyna 80 inch. No workie on my bike?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:33 AM
farns
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ettev

If an exhaust product is labeled as fitting '91-'95 Evo and '00-'05 Twin Cam engines does that mean it will work on a run of the mill 2003 Dyna Wide Glide? I'm just not all that familiar with the "EVOLUTION" terminology or production years.

Also, in looking at some hooker pipes for my bike the manufacturer has two sets listed in the style I like. On one they say 80 inches in the terminology and the other they say 96 inches. Are they talking about the length of the pipes, or something regarding the engine? If they are talking about pipe length what are the advantages of one over another?
Thanks in advance for any insight.

I think there is some confusion here and the literature or references you are reading are incorrect or poorly laid out.
I am not an expert by any means, but I have not seen too much in the way of parts crossing over from Evo to Twin Cam.
Also, because they say '00-'05 and 96 C.I., I would be very wary, as of course as stated elsewhere in the post, only '07 up have TC96 engines.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 AM
ettev
Advanced

K, so maybe this will help. Here's a link with some part numbers. Which set of Troublemaker Slash-cuts do I need (or will work) on a 2003 Wide Glide:
http://*******.com/2lzlqr
Do I need #6 or #7?

Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 AM
quikbike
Cruiser

that site sucks for details

Old 01-27-2008, 12:53 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: quikbike

Got that right! Whenever I stumble on a site that can't describe what they have and what it fits, I go elsewhere.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:11 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pococj

ORIGINAL: quikbike

Got that right! Whenever I stumble on a site that can't describe what they have and what it fits, I go elsewhere.
GOOD ADVICE![sm=loser.gif]

Old 01-27-2008, 02:32 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

I would find another site that might offer the exhaust you are looking for, and they wouldknow the Harley engines by years/type of engine/by cubic inch size. Your engine for a 2003 wide glide is a twin cam 88 cubic inch (1450 cc)engine. Stock motor, no upgrades to change displacement. The shape of the engines remain the same over the years, the changes include displacement, cams (one to two), and numerous frame changes where the exhaust systems would mount.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:37 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ettev

ORIGINAL: sonar_chris

Chris
Chris,
The pipes I can buy state they will fit 1991-2005 Dyna 80 inch. No workie on my bike?

I did a little searching and found out that Hooker stoped making the troublemakers for the Dyna models because of clearance issues from the pipe to the ground. Here is the thread I found. https://www.hdforums.com/m_2765139/tm.htm A guy named Ettev called them up about the fitment and Holley (the company that makes hooker pipes) said the dont make them for the dyna's anymore. Sorry dude

Chris

Quick Reply: Naïve questions about engine and exhaust terminology