General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventing your bike from being stolen

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
Where the heck did you find such a perfectly proportioned girl that small?
Why? Are you looking for a woman with small hands?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't tell you my system but will give you a hint. Years ago the VW magazine told how to make a simple, effective theft alarm with nothing but a couple of feet of wire and a toggle switch. It involves the horn, and a ground switch. OK now, let your imagination roam.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:16 AM
dankFLSTF
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep my insurance paid up and pay for the additional equipment coverage. The bike has the security to keep the people that don't have the extra motivation away and if I come upon them in the process of stealing my bike I carry concealed. So good luck to them.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default uuoohhhh!!

Originally Posted by Crazy Biker
Sportsters aren't worth that much so I think your bike is safe. Besides, how manny girls steal Harleys?

Now that is cold blooded!!

Old 08-08-2015, 07:29 PM
tokyotim24@hotmail.com
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm System

I had 2 Harleys stolen out of my garage 3 years ago. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!
Nearly lost my mind for a year. Cops tell you this is a rare thing. I had them locked up in my garage! I came home from work one day and discovered that they just weren't there. I called my relatives to ask them if they had moved them or something and they said no.

#1: if you have an automatic garage door opener, disconnect the electricity to it. And, make sure the draw-string doesn't open it manually. You can do this (advice from the police) by putting a bolt and nut through the metal bracket that open's the garage.

#2: Put an alarm on it.

#3: Park your car or truck right in front of the garage where the Harley is sitting.

#4: If you catch someone trying to steal your Harley(s), beat the living **** out of them.

#5: buy a surveillance camera system and point at least one of the cameras on the bike(s) at all times. This will usually be in the garage but put one or two outside pointing to the garage. This will discourage people from even thinking about breaking into your garage to steal your motorcycle(s).

#6: Keep each of your Harleys at different locations. This way, if one gets stolen, you might still have one at your other house (or wherever your secondary place is).

Last edited by tokyotim24@hotmail.com; 08-08-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:22 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

First post and a thread revival! Nice.

Nothing is going to keep your bike from getting stolen. It's takes seconds for a group of guys to pick it up and toss it into the back of a truck, onto a pile of mattresses. How do I know this? The shop said that's how one of their bikes came up missing.

For the amateur thief, most things are just going to slow them down enough to make the look elsewhere.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:08 PM
jackddg22
Road Captain

Received 233 Likes on 113 Posts

Empty holster on it always helps.
Jack

Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Place a few condoms filled with hand cream and leave them on the seat and one on the handlebar.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:05 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 90 Posts

At a big gathering is about as safe as your bike can get

Old 08-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,910 Likes on 4,011 Posts

I keep my bike in my garage. When I ride it to work, it is parked in a law enforcement parking lot (which is where I work). Everyone knows my bike. It is always locked (ignition and fork) and covered. When I run errands or get something to eat, I always lock it and sit where I can see it. I never leave home without at least two guns. Taking my bike would not be easy and could be hazardous to a thief's life.

Quick Reply: Preventing your bike from being stolen