General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pioneer INNO power help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:19 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Pioneer INNO power help

Thanks in advance for not flaming me for your safety concerns.

I have a Pioneer INNO XM radio that is used when on the road. I confess that I have used it while riding but the majority of the time my wife is using this when riding passenger.

Problem is it uses a proprietary battery that doesn't last that long. They make a cig lighter power adapter for it (see attached pic). Which leads me to my question:

I want the least amount of wiring as possible. Since I have the battery tender pigtail I'm thinking I should try to use that.

What's the best way to connect this to run off bike power?
1. Modify the cig lighter end of the INNO adapter to a battery tender pigtail and plug in using the battery tender pigtail under the seat?

2. Buy a cig lighter socket with battery tender pigtail end (do these exist?) and use that to plug into INNO adapter and battery tender pigtail?

3. Buy INNO cig lighter adapter. Buy cig lighter socket and wire to battery. Plug INNO cig socket adapter into socket?

4. Other?

Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5927/70652460284F478E9C998DD7EEC9BD67.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pioneer INNO power help

I have an INNO as well. One thing you need to do, if you haven't done so already, is to download the INNO updates. There is a "fix" if you will, to the firmware that helps with battery life. It's mostly while powered off battery life, but sometimes they have other fixes in there as well.

Also, make sure your unit turns the lighted screen off as quickly as possible. There is a setting for that on the INNO.

You didn't mention what kind of bike you own. If you own an Ultra, there might be an outlet on your fairing, left side, down low. Kind of hard to see, imho. If you have other bikes, then you could probably use an adapter as you have described. It might be kind of difficult to hide it, but it could be done. Your option "1" seems do-able to me.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Forgot to post the bike info..... 06 FXSTS. So, no fairing with the built in plug.

I have an extra battery tender pigtail and am pretty handy with a soldering gun so I think I'll modify one of these INNO adapters and go that route.

I'll have to try to do a firmware update. I do have the screen light set to go off fast. And most of the time when off or not in use I have it in the home cradle charging.

Since you have one, any suggestions for mounting on the bike? She has been strapping it to her leg (like the kid did with his walkman in Iron Eagle). Works great for access and making sure it doesn't fall off but not good at all for XM reception.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Bumm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look familiar? Like Benson said, update firmware, and turn off the back light. I've ridden for 2 days on the battery. I did run a power wire to a cigarette lighter socket in the saddle bag so I could re-charge the inno, or the GPS when stopped. They both use the small USB type plug. Good Luck, enjoy the sounds. Channel 14, steam powered radio!

I covered the tank bib with the 'soft' side of Velcro, and use the 'hook' side for the goodies. Keeps the radio etc. handy and can be removed easily when you are stopped. Power cord can come out from under the seat if you need it.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Myradiostore.com and buy an extra battery or two. Easier than wires