General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slowing Down - Brakes or Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Slowing Down - Brakes or Shifting

Downshift

Old 01-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Two_Into1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you guys saying that in the majority of cases when you are coming to a stop,even from highway speeds you just hold in the clutch without letting it out as you downshift thru the gears as the rpm's permit and just apply the brakes.I would think that would be really hard on both the clutch and the brake pads.Besides you're not using the engines compression to slow you down and missing out on that HD rumble we all like to hear on deceleration.I always give the throttle a little shot after pulling in the clutch and downshift through the gears one at a time as rpm's permit and slowly let the clutch out with each downshift.That's what I've always done,maybe I'm wrong and I've ridden bikes since the 70's. I always apply both brakes at the same time too.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the better answer is which one stops you better and faster? If you need to panic, you better already have the clutch in and the brakes covered. It helps to be downshifting too, incase you need to accelerate out of something - as infrequently as that actually happens.

There's also the fact that you're not always braking at the same rate at every stop. Some need faster braking than others. If you suddenly need to jump on the brakes and you're just downshifting, you're going to lose valuable time and distance grabbing the brakes and pulling in the clutch.... But there's no ONE answer then is there?

And lastly, that little light on the back of your bike isn't lit up when you're just downshifting. That's fine if you're casually riding down a deserted road. I wouldn't rely on the guy driving that truck full of landscaping equipment to notice you slowing down when there's no light to signal for him to put down his bud light and prepare to stop before he turns you into a biker taco though...

Old 01-25-2008, 04:40 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

As many have stated, it really depends on the type of stop I'm making (general versus emergency), but generally I use both.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:44 PM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Both...and always try to stay in the right gear for the right situation

Old 01-25-2008, 04:51 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I use both down shift to the proper gear and let the engine slow down the bike with out lugging or over reving the engine. I apply both brakes also at the same time. Ifgoing into a corner no brakes( unless you totally screwed up and you hit it too fast) I accelerate out of it though. When looking througha turn you should also turn your head not just use your eyes btw. It was one thing I always remember from my safety course which I took twenty years ago. The instructor a big man on this little bike would always exaggerate the head turn. It looked funny but I always remembered it. It has saved my bacon many a time.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:01 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Both.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:07 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Both.

MikeM

Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Both.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:21 PM
DiggerD
Tourer

Both, after a while you get a feel for whats the best for the situation at hand.

DD

Quick Reply: Slowing Down - Brakes or Shifting