General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safety and protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:21 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default safety and protection

i am kinda confused
there seems to be some of you who are like almost adimant that any kind of safety clothing (helmets, etc) or device (modulator) is totally and completely ridiculous and useless and in some cases more unsafe

and honest - this is not a bashing of anybody - just pure curiosity

- who honestly thinks that a helmet will never protect you
- who honestly thinks that you are never better off not wearing one if you get in an accident
- who honestly thinks that there is absolutely no reason to wear gloves, that wearing them would be a waste
- who honestly thinks that leather, kevlar, etc is worthless and you are better off with t shirts and cotton jeans
- who honestly thinks that a headlight modulator is worthless

i use to ride with no helmet, no jacket, and even no glasses
i am completely non judgemental about what you wear or use when you ride

and don't want this to get into a p1ssing match - just curious. there are a lot of things that i do that are not good for:
- i am overweight
- eat way too much cholestoral
- drink way too much

and i know overweight is not good for you
and i know cholestoral is not good for you
and i know that too much alc...........................

but i believe, in an accident you are better with gloves, helmet, leather....................

and i really believe no one should tell me what to wear when riding
and i really believe that you should ride with what makes you comfortable
and i really really believe that the best thing you can do is avoid an accident

Old 01-25-2008, 11:26 AM
JamieCarr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: safety and protection

but I WANT to get torn up if I get into an accident,..........otherwise,...whats the point of crashing in the first place?[sm=nxsmile.gif][sm=patriot.gif][sm=proof.gif][sm=redx.gif][sm=sigh.gif][sm=smiley34.gif][sm=smiley34.gif][sm=smiley34.gif][sm=smiley34.gif][sm=smiley34.gif][sm=smiley34.gif][sm=smiley34.gif][sm=smiley34.gif]

Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 AM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey don't you know Harley riders are tough ***** that don't need no stinkin' protection? Except for the .45 that is.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:31 AM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your closing paragraph stated the fundamentals. Someone who has absolutely no knowledge/interest in your endeavors dictating what you should wear/eat/drink/think/walk/do/dream, etc. should not have any power over free-thinking adults and parents. I don't golf, therefore I don't dictate what protection against another golfer slicing a ball your way you should wear. I don't eat cheetos, therefore portion controls or ruboff limitations of the coatings or whatever other form of control is none of my business. My only tie-in to my local school districts are the obscene amounts of my property taxes that go to fund their somewhat unproductive teaching methods. I don't tell the teach what to teach, but tell the tech's boss that they're not raping me for more money. Examples could go on.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Education, Not governmentation!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chiabate

Your closing paragraph stated the fundamentals. Someone who has absolutely no knowledge/interest in your endeavors dictating what you should wear/eat/drink/think/walk/do/dream, etc. should not have any power over free-thinking adults and parents. I don't golf, therefore I don't dictate what protection against another golfer slicing a ball your way you should wear. I don't eat cheetos, therefore portion controls or ruboff limitations of the coatings or whatever other form of control is none of my business. My only tie-in to my local school districts are the obscene amounts of my property taxes that go to fund their somewhat unproductive teaching methods. I don't tell the teach what to teach, but tell the tech's boss that they're not raping me for more money. Examples could go on.
Mark is refering to to another topic on the Forum regarding Modulators. A pure safety question on what one member should look at buying. There were many comments that He should not get on because they only should only be used on metrics and such. He is trying to understand why some Harley riders scoff at those who are truly trying to ride safe and enjoy the ride like any other.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:38 AM
JamieCarr
Banned

Speaking of cheetos,........I once had a cheeto stuck in my sinuses. Try explainig that to the nurse on duty.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:39 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to admit I rarely am dressed for safety. At the drags I wear all the safety gear, helmet, leathers and boots, but putting aroundon the country roads where I live, I am Tshirt and jeans, and whateve footwear I have on at the time.My OL bought me a FF helmet I use when riding to work mostly and judging fromthe big gash in the chin after my recent accident, it's not a bad idea to wear it. The damage to my leg would not have been any better if I had boots on, my right shoe was literally ripped off on impact, I'm sure the boot would not have helped.
I've collected my share of road rash in the past but I will probably not change my normal riding attire, other than wearing the helmet when I anticipate riding in traffic. I like riding with my gimme cap on cause it acts like a cruise control(it will fly off at 65mph or higher). The leathers are nice this time of year in TX but impractical in 90-100 degs.
Wear what you're comfortable with, armor and helmet are good, but you're bones will break just as easily with them on, they do save some skin though.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:49 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

your right that the modulator prompted this post, but seeing some of the comments on other safety things, it just seemed that some of the posts were past the sarcastic stage and into belief stuff

i smoked for 35 years and knew it was bad for me, but kept on smokin, even after being diagnosed with emphazema. (quit 10 years ago though)

rode for a long time with no protection - hated helmets
now i ride with one (wear else would i put the headphones?) - it is just what is right with me

most the time in a car i don't use the seat belt - don't like em - but i know that in most cases they will be much for me (and yes i could get trapped in the car and unable to realease the belt)

but i just find it interesting that some appear to really think that there is no way any of that stuff (helmets, gloves) can do any good

Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
JamieCarr
Banned

Not that we don't think it'll do any good. ,.....We just don't care.

Quick Reply: safety and protection