General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safety and protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: safety and protection

You're right Jamie, I ride with a pretty loose party crowd out here, I was refering more to the HD forum members who never seem to run out of things to whine, **** and moan about. I find like minds lurking in the shadows at most of the adult runs I ride to and always have a load of fun(can't remember most of it if I do it right).
Just feeling nostalgic I guess.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:03 PM
JamieCarr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where the hell is Bellville anyway? East? West?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:37 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bellville is 50 mi west of Houston, halfway between I10 and I290 on rt 36. I live 5 mi south from the square on 15 acres. I love it, my OL loves it, the 3 dogs,2 cats and a dozen head of cattle all love it too!
Too much info?
Drop in next time you're south of Nacadoces

Old 01-26-2008, 08:21 AM
JamieCarr
Banned

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Bellville is 50 mi west of Houston, halfway between I10 and I290 on rt 36. I live 5 mi south from the square on 15 acres. I love it, my OL loves it, the 3 dogs,2 cats and a dozen head of cattle all love it too!
Too much info?
Drop in next time you're south of Nacadoces
I'm out that way quite a bit,....I may just look ya up sometime.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:43 AM
HarleyForeverFLHX
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wearing safety clothing in the Harley community is mute. But in most other motorcycle communities it's not only excepted, it's normal wear. That being said PLEASE everyone go to your local DMV and pick up a copy of "CRASH STATISTICS". You can usually find them in the waiting room /front desk. If you cant please ask the lady and she can help you. You can also find the reports online. The fastest growing number of accidents , accidents with serious energies and fatalities are the Harley community. The Hurt report found that the largest community of riders that didn't use protection were the Harley community. They also found it strange how when all other motorcycle entities were advocating the use of safety gear, that Harley was going directly the other direction.
With all the statistics we have on motorcycle accidents and safety gear available, one has to ask. Is it really the choice not to wear helmets a matter or freedom or the lack of intelligence.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:47 AM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HarleyForeverFLHX

Wearing safety clothing in the Harley community is mute. But in most other motorcycle communities it's not only excepted, it's normal wear. That being said PLEASE everyone go to your local DMV and pick up a copy of "CRASH STATISTICS". You can usually find them in the waiting room /front desk. If you cant please ask the lady and she can help you. You can also find the reports online. The fastest growing number of accidents , accidents with serious energies and fatalities are the Harley community. The Hurt report found that the largest community of riders that didn't use protection were the Harley community. They also found it strange how when all other motorcycle entities were advocating the use of safety gear, that Harley was going directly the other direction.
With all the statistics we have on motorcycle accidents and safety gear available, one has to ask. Is it really the choice not to wear helmets a matter or freedom or the lack of intelligence.
WHO keeps letting theseTROLL's in here?

park that rig... too dangerous for you..

http://volvo.autoextra.com/model

99%r

Old 01-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Climb down off the soap box already with the statistics. Everyone here is well aware of the risks associated with riding. I imagine many arealso getting a little tired of having these risks rubbed into their faces. Safety in the HD forum is not a moot point, by the way. We all do our own thing. One guy rides with a modulator, one doesn't, one full face, another looks forward to states like AZ. One guys wears gloves, so on and so on. If you wear a full face, good for you, if you don't good for you too. You don't touch me, I won't bother you. That's what we need to be concentrating on, not the I'm better than you attitude because I ride with mil-spec body armour wrapped around me, and that is the way many are taking these comments and statistics. We all know statistics can and are manipulated to fit the desired outcome, so let's just all leave each other alone, and ride how we each want to. Do we really want more government control in our lives anyway, if so, than move to a country that will be more than happy to oblige. NH state motto says it best: Live free or die. Good attitude. By the way, I can't help but notice that the way you mention that other biker communities, BMW, whatever, stress safety in such a way that makes it look like we don't is very prima-donna'ish and isn't going to fly well over here. Its condescending to us Harley guys, as if all we wanna do is hop on our bikes and go run down the entire world with utter disregard for safety. Can't speak for the rest of us, but that's not my goal.

ORIGINAL: HarleyForeverFLHX

Old 01-26-2008, 09:03 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never dress to crash I dress to ride
I will never buy the safest car to crash in I buy them to drive
I spent 15 years on safety teams etc. at work and am really tired of safety
it has gotten to a point where nothing is safe ..WHO THE HELL CARES

Old 01-26-2008, 09:06 AM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: lonewatie

Climb down off the soap box already with the statistics. Everyone here is well aware of the risks associated with riding. I imagine many arealso getting a little tired of having these risks rubbed into their faces.
ya man honestly, Ive had it with that one particular troll...

In another thread, I mentioned there were no ######'s in our posse...
I was thinkin about it last night ... ther's two couples that ride with us ... they are always in helmets / leather...

they have NEVER sed .. dood where's your helment / gloves / chaps / armored jacket? Dont you think thats showing a "lack of intelligence"
I have NEVER even thought to ask .. arent you phuckin bakin in all that goddam garb? Not to mention looking like something out of a japanese cartoon?

That guy needs to STFU ... he'saggitated several folks .. and PI$$ED me WAY off...

99%r

Old 01-26-2008, 09:10 AM
landest
Road Warrior

Jeeeezzzzz...

Quick Reply: safety and protection