General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safety and protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: safety and protection

ORIGINAL: JamieCarr

Most of what I post doesn't make too much sense,......but who cares right? i just wanna get off work ,..so I can go drink a few,...make a ride,..maybe play some guitar,...and try to break my ole ladys back hammering her from the back.
Goddam your my new hero (c:

99%r

Old 01-25-2008, 01:15 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 99octane

[Takes a deep breath...]

Well. Please, before getting angry like a bull in front of a red cloak, read everything to the end.

1) The whole point in safety is NOT CRASHING.
2) Safety is a matter of probabilities.
The fact you can't be 100% safe doesn't mean you can't be safer.

Yes, the 1-in-a-thousand worst-case scenario may get you anyway, but to put it into a down to earth way: playing russian rulette with an 8 shot revolver increases dramatically your chances over a 5 shot one, and beats the hell out of doing it with a semiauto

So: saying that "you may die anyway so what's the point?" is nonsense.
On the same basis, since you may crash anyway, why not ride on the highway blindfolded?
It doesn't stand up to a second of logical analysis.
There are a lot of other good reasons to renounce protection, this just isn't one.

ON THE OTHER HAND, getting paranoid to the point you don't enjoy riding... well, it probably means you are not at ease enough to ride in the first place: riding requires calm, and being comfortable with what you are doing, otherwise you are at risk. Moreover, excessive protection can actually endanger you, impeding your movements or, for example, making you weak and unable to concentrate in very hot climate.
So:

Everybody has his own comfort zone. Everybody may have his very good reasons to wear or not to wear protective gear. And it's ok this way, as long as the reasons are... well, reasonable and thought out.

I can even just say "I love the wind in my hair, the sun on my skin so much that, if I must die crashing because I didn't have any protection, so be it, it's MY choice I do consciously and willingly" and it's ok .
Let's just leave the "you could die anyway" crap rest.

Everybody has his comfort zone, let's respect that.
Just don't try to ramrod your beliefs down other's throats with preaching or nonsensical statements.
<taking deep breath>

Im not rammin anything down anyones throat <looking down> (at the moment anyway).
If you guys are so fricken paranoid about crashing and what's gonna happen after the fact... GET THE #@$% of that bike and get a car dood...

jezus tap dancin christ

99%r

Old 01-25-2008, 01:15 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 99_percenter

ORIGINAL: 3power

seriously .. WTF .. made some of you buy harleys? It sure as hell wasnt watching sport bikes with guys wearing Power Ranger zoot suits....

lol . . sounds like you bought one because you thought it would make you an instant bad-a$$ . .lmao . . good luck with that [8D]
no it wasnt instant... I had to work for .... what's your excuse?

99%r
word on the streetis that myHarley became bad *** once I sat on it . . .

Old 01-25-2008, 01:21 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

seriously .. WTF .. made some of you buy harleys? It sure as hell wasnt watching sport bikes with guys wearing Power Ranger zoot suits....

lol . . sounds like you bought one because you thought it would make you an instant bad-a$$ . .lmao . . good luck with that [8D]
no it wasnt instant... I had to work for .... what's your excuse?

99%r
word on the streetis that myHarley became bad *** once I sat on it . . .
ahhh well... good luck with that (c:

Old 01-25-2008, 01:24 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: JamieCarr

Most of what I post doesn't make too much sense,......but who cares right? i just wanna get off work ,..so I can go drink a few,...make a ride,..maybe play some guitar,...and try to break my ole ladys back hammering her from the back.

Way to go, man!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:33 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad its Friday, I'm about worn out trying to make some sense out of most of today's threads. You guys make me long to turn the clock back to the '70s when no one even thought twice about what you wear, what you ride or how you lived. Simpler times yes, and never to be again, Camelot!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:34 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

<taking deep breath>

Im not rammin anything down anyones throat <looking down> (at the moment anyway).
If you guys are so fricken paranoid about crashing and what's gonna happen after the fact... GET THE #@$% of that bike and get a car dood...

jezus tap dancin christ

99%r

First: mind me, I wasn't addressing you specifically. Sorry if it seemed I wanted to bash you specifically. It ain't so.

All I'm saying, not to you specifically, but in general, is: don't try to sell me crap, I won't throw it back. That's all.
One doesn't wanna wear a helmet because he doesn't? Well, just say so:I respect that.
I can't respect nonsense, that's all.

As to my attitude to safety: I'm not paranoid. I'm not even "careful".
If I were careful I wouldn't have been riding with ice patches and 50 fat miles of experience as a motorcyclist under my belt, and I wouldn't be riding in Milano's rush hour traffic without a forcefield
I am for reasonable precautions. As I said elsewhere, I'm compounding risks of various kinds: can't afford to let the odds get too much aganist me. [8D]
What's reasonable to me may be paranoid to you and howling mad to somebody else.
I don't have anything against anybody who choses differently. Respect my choice, I'll respect yours.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:41 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

I'm glad its Friday, I'm about worn out trying to make some sense out of most of today's threads. You guys make me long to turn the clock back to the '70s when no one even thought twice about what you wear, what you ride or how you lived. Simpler times yes, and never to be again, Camelot!
The world changed.
I could play football on the road behind the little house for vacation my parents bought in Piemonte over 30 years ago. It didn't even have tarmac, it was packed earth. We used to walk by with my parents and my uncle and aunt. Today it's a State Road, limit 110 kph, with an endless flow of cars and trucks, my parents sold the house years ago, my uncle and aunt are dead and, If I tried play football there today, I'd be dead too in less time than you need to say "IDIOT".
The world changes. You don't have necessarily to "comply", but you have to adapt somehow...

Old 01-25-2008, 01:45 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 99octane

<taking deep breath>

jezus tap dancin christ

99%r

I can't respect nonsense, that's all.

good I cant respect nonsense either ...

99%r

Old 01-25-2008, 01:47 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

naw man,.....the kind of people you seek,...and the kind of times you're lookin for are out there,......you just have to find 'em,..and get involved. Thats what I had to do,..after attending countless yuppie rides and gatherings,..and rolex rider events etc,..........and there are some good people in those groups too,....but I think I know what you're talkin about,..and trust me,..it's there if ya know where to look.

It's just a matter of SO MANY RIDERS on the road now,.....you just have to cull what you do and don't want to be a part of.

Quick Reply: safety and protection