General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safety and protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:31 PM
JamieCarr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: safety and protection

ORIGINAL: roewarrior

Seems to me it's time for a separate safety forum, so those who have no use for safety won't be aggravated by it.
Oh,..we're not aggravated by it! It gives us something to mess with all day!!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:32 PM
EVO80
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GGC - Thanks for the compliment!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:33 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

yea EVO,..that is a badass lookin bike.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:36 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 99_percenter

Seems to me it's time for a separate safety forum, so those who have no use for safety won't be aggravated by it.
they got one already .. its just under a differnt URL

http://www.msf-usa.org/

<alas> I believe the Urban Dictionary is correct...

harley davidson -

A once proud brand of motorcycles that were originally only owned by legit badasses back in the day. Sadly sometime in the `80s posers got into the act and Harley Davidson began to become more concerned with merchandising rather than building decent bikes and it became acceptable for doctors, lawyers, and fat bald guys having a midlife crisis to ride Harleys.

If you own a Harley Davidson edition anything you're not a bad-*** you're a pathetic poser urinating allover the once proud name of Harley Davidson.

****in' trendys always ruin everything.

HTH

99%r
The "pathetic posers" are already on this forum, and they're not gonna leave. I'm just tryin' to help you out.
ya ... I know .. and its very ... VERY sad...

sad indeed |c: <note... this is not a smiley>

99%r

Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: chiabate

Every bit of safety gear has it's merits. The body's largest organ is it's epidermis, but you don't see politicians and other do-gooders advocating mandatory gloves and leather/cordura. They're only out to make motorcycling as uncomfortable as possible.
Not sure why you've made this into a political topic. He didn't ask if you thought the gov't should mandate wearing safety equipment - he asked if folks honestly believe that the gear doesn't work. Basically, some of you sound like you think there is a big conspiracy of companies making dangerous gear and they pawn it off as something that will protect you! lmao . .

Now I realize most of the safety jokes are just guys on here havin' fun . . . but admit it - some of you really think that gear is more dangerous than no gear. Now that is truly paranoia.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:48 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seriously .. WTF .. made some of you buy harleys? It sure as hell wasnt watching sport bikes with guys wearing Power Ranger zoot suits....

lol . . sounds like you bought one because you thought it would make you an instant bad-a$$ . .lmao . . good luck with that [8D]

Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All that gear is only good if you crash, and then is questionable. Helmets may cause death thru strangulation or snapped neck, Leather only protects skin, the body will be mangled if you are a biker sandwich between your ride and an immovable object or vehicle. Modulators only work if the other guy doesn't get irritated and try to kill you.
I suit up when I know there's a good chance of a fall(my old Cafe' days) or accident(riding in city traffic).
Once my leg heals I will be riding with a modulator but my choice in riding gear will not change.
I do have a couple HD Tshirts, does that make me a poser?

Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

[Takes a deep breath...]

Well. Please, before getting angry like a bull in front of a red cloak, read everything to the end.

1) The whole point in safety is NOT CRASHING.
2) Safety is a matter of probabilities.
The fact you can't be 100% safe doesn't mean you can't be safer.

Yes, the 1-in-a-thousand worst-case scenario may get you anyway, but to put it into a down to earth way: playing russian rulette with an 8 shot revolver increases dramatically your chances over a 5 shot one, and beats the hell out of doing it with a semiauto

So: saying that "you may die anyway so what's the point?" is nonsense.
On the same basis, since you may crash anyway, why not ride on the highway blindfolded?
It doesn't stand up to a second of logical analysis.
There are a lot of other good reasons to renounce protection, this just isn't one.

ON THE OTHER HAND, getting paranoid to the point you don't enjoy riding... well, it probably means you are not at ease enough to ride in the first place: riding requires calm, and being comfortable with what you are doing, otherwise you are at risk. Moreover, excessive protection can actually endanger you, impeding your movements or, for example, making you weak and unable to concentrate in very hot climate.
So:

Everybody has his own comfort zone. Everybody may have his very good reasons to wear or not to wear protective gear. And it's ok this way, as long as the reasons are... well, reasonable and thought out.

I can even just say "I love the wind in my hair, the sun on my skin so much that, if I must die crashing because I didn't have any protection, so be it, it's MY choice I do consciously and willingly" and it's ok .
Let's just leave the "you could die anyway" crap rest.

Everybody has his comfort zone, let's respect that.
Just don't try to ramrod your beliefs down other's throats with preaching or nonsensical statements.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:08 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

Most of what I post doesn't make too much sense,......but who cares right? i just wanna get off work ,..so I can go drink a few,...make a ride,..maybe play some guitar,...and try to break my ole ladys back hammering her from the back.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:10 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 3power

seriously .. WTF .. made some of you buy harleys? It sure as hell wasnt watching sport bikes with guys wearing Power Ranger zoot suits....

lol . . sounds like you bought one because you thought it would make you an instant bad-a$$ . .lmao . . good luck with that [8D]
no it wasnt instant... I had to work for .... what's your excuse?

99%r

Quick Reply: safety and protection