General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ditching the trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 01:49 AM
witch1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ditching the trailer

Hi, I'm looking at trailering some buddies and bikes a few states south to a no snow above zero area to get a break from the dreary winter. I was curious what do I do with the veichle and trailer? Any expiriences good bad or otherwise? Big risk just leaving the truck and trailer to rot for a week or two and most likley it would plague me for the duration of the trip. Any advise or wisdom is appretiated.

Take off eh!

Old 01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ditching the trailer

ORIGINAL: witch1

Hi, I'm looking at trailering some buddies and bikes a few states south to a no snow above zero area to get a break from the dreary winter. I was curious what do I do with the veichle and trailer? Any expiriences good bad or otherwise? Big risk just leaving the truck and trailer to rot for a week or two and most likley it would plague me for the duration of the trip. Any advise or wisdom is appretiated.

Take off eh!
If your going to stay down there for couple of weeks, you probably have a place to stay, right? Ive never had any trouble parking when I stayed in FL. You could be more specific, it may be easier to answer.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:20 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

find a wal-mart and ask permission to park there, they always have security guy driving around keeping an eye on the place and they always welcome campers.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:14 AM
claydbal
Cruiser

find the h.o.g. chapter in that area. one of the RUB's will probably let you store it iin their heated garage.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:37 AM
DragonNester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mikeisglidn

find a wal-mart and ask permission to park there, they always have security guy driving around keeping an eye on the place and they always welcome campers.

I need to remember this when we ride the TX Hillcountry this year. Good tip. Have you done this?

P.S.: If we make Myrtle beach this year I'll look you up (sounds like you're going). I'll ride to that one -- only 450 miles (all interstate)

Old 01-15-2006, 10:47 AM
witch1
Novice

I'll be leaving from Ottawa Canada and I though I'd make it to South Carolina then leave the trailer somewhere and drive the bikes to Florida. I wouldn't want to waste all the beautiful weather through Georgia and Northern Florida In a truck and not on the bike.
That is a good idea about the WalMart, I have used their kindness before and stayed in thier parking lot for a few days but I was always there or relatively close by.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:23 PM
lost6009
Cruiser

How big of a truck and trailer are we talking about. I'm in SC about 40 minutes off I-95, depending on the time (if I'm out of town working or not) and size you could leave it in the yard.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:48 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have done that a couple of times now. We left our truck and trailer at the hotel we stayed at in Memphis, once. We were gone a week. Hubby did the same thing a hotel in New Mexico. They let him leave it there for a week too.

Wouldn't hurt to ask the hotel you stay at if it would be ok to leave it there. Both times, we did it. They were very accomodating. Let them choose where to park it, out of their way.

I have also heard of people renting a storage garage for the duration of their holiday. Quite cheap for 2 wks and very secure.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:22 PM
witch1
Novice

Big f150 king cab and a three bike trailer. The offer is very much appretiated. I'll keep it in mind

ORIGINAL: lost6009

How big of a truck and trailer are we talking about. I'm in SC about 40 minutes off I-95, depending on the time (if I'm out of town working or not) and size you could leave it in the yard.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:55 PM
mwike
Cruiser

Leave it at a HD dealership & buy a couple tee shirts from them. I'd imagine they'd let you do that.

Quick Reply: Ditching the trailer