General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year Results for 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008 | 07:19 AM
dynamike74
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Harley-Davidson Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year Results for 2007

Harley-Davidson Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year Results for 2007 - Harley-Davidson, Inc. today announced its results for the fourth quarter and the year ended December 31, 2007.

http://www.brainbucketmag.com/News/a.../sid=3062.html
http://www.americanbikernews.com/New.../sid=3062.html

Old 01-25-2008 | 08:03 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year Results for 2007

Very interesting, thanks for posting....

The decline in sales for the total year isn't as bad as many expected, but the 26.3% net drop in the 4th quarter (compared to the 4th quarter 2006) is concerning....

But there is a bright spot.....

Althought there was an almost 'across the board' decline in sales, one area did manage to show an increase in sales over 2006.

General Merchandise (clothing, etc.) showed sales of 73.4 million, and increase of 4% over 2006.

Why doesn't that surprise me...

Old 01-25-2008 | 08:23 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year Results for 2007

Here is some good news:
For 2008, the Company once again plans to ship fewer Harley-Davidson motorcycles than it expects its worldwide dealer network to sell.

They are trying to clear the glut of bikes off the market. They reduced inventory by 7,000 bikes last year. This should help stabilze the used HD market and prices as well.

Old 01-25-2008 | 08:41 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Just my opinion, but I don't think the production reduction of new models will do anything the stabilize the used bike market..

Too many people have purchased Harley's during the past few years, only to find that the 'thrill of ownership' has worn off, and now they want to unload their bikes.

It's all about supply and demand, and as long as there are more sellers of used bikes than buyers the price of used bikeswill continue to decline.

Old 01-25-2008 | 08:58 AM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

"For 2008, the Company once again plans to ship fewer Harley-Davidson motorcycles than it expects its worldwide dealer network to sell."

Wow! gutsy strategy to attempt to hold prices on new bikes at present levels.Theoretically that will flush out existing inventory of new bikes at the dealer level and once that inventory is gone, then the used market will pick up the slack, all at the expense of the MOCO building new inventory and lowering prices to move it. Apparantly the decision is not to build and pricefor the market, but to build for aprice. Not sure how that will work out. If things do turn around in 3rd quarter this year and a sudden demand for bikes hits from returning military, or something else, then the MOCO will be caught short of inventory and could lose a bit of market share. But cutting prices to move inventorycan ***** the marketplace too where no one makes any money. Interesting. I also noticed they did a stock buy back last quarter too. A great company hands down!

Old 01-25-2008 | 09:16 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Just my opinion, but I don't think the production reduction of new models will do anything the stabilize the used bike market..

Too many people have purchased Harley's during the past few years, only to find that the 'thrill of ownership' has worn off, and now they want to unload their bikes.

It's all about supply and demand, and as long as there are more sellers of used bikes than buyers the price of used bikeswill continue to decline.

Hello OFG,
I would love to see prices fall off. I only have two bikes in a three-car garage. Thats sad. I think I need a few more. How many do you have in your collection now? I though I remeber you selling some or buying others?

Old 01-25-2008 | 09:37 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: wbogley

Hello OFG,
I would love to see prices fall off. I only have two bikes in a three-car garage. Thats sad. I think I need a few more. How many do you have in your collection now? I though I remeber you selling some or buying others?
You 'slacker', only 2 bikes.

I still only have the6 ('49 Pan chopper, '81 Shovel, '96 EVO WideGlide, '01 TC RoadKing, '03 TC Softail FatBoy, '05 Chopped 1200C).

Thought about getting a Rocker "C", but changed my mind, and I like the look of the "Cross Bones", but doubt if I get one...

Think I'll just stick with my 'older bikes', they all run perfectly and are set up the way I like them...

Problem is with the newer models (besides the initial cost) is that you need to turn around and spend another $1,500+ just to get them to run the way they should. Guess we can thank the EPA for that.

Old 01-25-2008 | 09:47 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

Hello OFG,

I still only have the6 ('49 Pan chopper, '81 Shovel, '96 EVO WideGlide, '01 TC RoadKing, '03 TC Softail FatBoy, '05 Chopped 1200C).

Thought about getting a Rocker "C", but changed my mind, and I like the look of the "Cross Bones", but doubt if I get one...

Think I'll just stick with my 'older bikes', they all run perfectly and are set up the way I like them...

Problem is with the newer models (besides the initial cost) is that you need to turn around and spend another $1,500+ just to get them to run the way they should. Guess we can thank the EPA for that.

Only 6 bikes....boy, the ecconomy really is weak!!!! LOL.

Old 01-25-2008 | 09:52 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Hello OFG,

Only 6 bikes....boy, the ecconomy really is weak!!!! LOL.
HEY NOW!!!!!

I've 'accumulated' those over a number of years...

Old 01-25-2008 | 10:05 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Interesting reading. I am amazed that For the full year, wholesale shipments of Harley-Davidson motorcycles were 330,619 units for 2007. (whichwere fewerthan the number shipped the year before).

Its mind-blowing that (over the years)there must bemany millions of HD motorcycles out there world-wide. I'm very happy and proud to be counted among them!

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year Results for 2007