General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting into neutral????? update

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Butt Ugly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shifting into neutral????? update

Generally in gear for me, unless it is an obvious long light. One thing I do until I see the cager in back of me fully stopped is hold my brake lights on with foot or hand. I feel that if they are on and burning, then they might actually notice me stopped there. That goes for if I am first or in line.
Good question though, some great answers too.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 PM
ggibson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done 2 advanced rider training courses (one paid for by the Navy as Defence lose 4 people a year to bike accidents), the other was run by HOG over here specifically for Harleys and both "recommended" that you always be ready to go, as in be in first gear with an exit stradegy, keep a eye in the rearview and never have the handbrake on, just the foot brake, then if you are re-ended the impact will tend to push you along rather than tip you over the front wheel, even after doing these courses I sometimes still find myself daydreaming and forgeting all or some of the above, I do live in the country though and we don't have many traffic lights (none on the way to work).

Always remember "wherever you go...there you are"

[IMG]local://upfiles/47696/B29BFCAF61164E1593B10A188FC85ED8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stop sign, No-Long light, Yes

Old 01-25-2008, 07:47 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At most red lights I do. I know I shouldn't but it really does cut down on fatigue on long rides for me. When I'm in neutral I have my head on a swivel and keep my eyes closely focused on my mirrors though. Can throw it in gear and be gone in a second if need be.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:21 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

Neutral so I can grab a smoke.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:26 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

ORIGINAL: biz44

I didnt ask this question with a safety aspect in mind. I asked it from a mechanics point of view. I know changing out a clutch is not all that hard a job, and replacing the clutch could be a good thing in some cases where you been wanting a better performing unit, or stiffer spring/s whatever....even a easy pull spring.
I just hate to put unnecessary wear and tear on the clutch....thats why I asked.
Like I said.....personally I always put the bike in neutral as soon as I know there is a car behind me blocking.....and if the road is clear, and the light is long, it goes into neutral even if there is no car behind me....I just ride the mirrors.
Duhhhhhhh WHAT?????

Once your clutch is disengaged, it's just that disengaged.(bike and truck) By doing what you do, you are actually adding "wear and tear" to the clutch cable, by adding many more pulls on it.

MSF is teaching "IN GEAR, READY TO MOVE" ........wonder why that is????
Please.....I been wrenching on bikes way too long for anyone here to tell me that sitting stopped with the bike in gear with the clutch in dont put unnecessary wear on the clutch plates. As far as wearing out a clutch cable......you cant be serious..."many more pulls on it"....thats a good one.

As far as the MSF......let them change the clutch on my bike when it starts slipping. Anyhow I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that here in NYC the sainted MSF instructors would not know what to do to keep them selfs out of trouble long enough to get out of town.
I suggest you do a bit of learning on your own.....and stop listening to a MSF guy like he could walk on water.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:17 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Leave it in gear unless you need to roll a quick joint.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Johnny Law
Cruiser

Clutch squeezed in - Transmission in first - Ready to rock - Oh, unless I need that hand to tip my coffee cup and enjoy the morning blend. Don't mind changing out the clutch, cable and whatevera thousand or so miles early.
JL

Old 01-27-2008, 07:32 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

Leave it in gear unless you need to roll a quick joint.
But I always need to roll a quick joint. good thing I got that 8" re-curve and cruise.....this way I save on unnecessary wear and tear on brake pads, not having to stop to twist up a good one.

[sm=smokin.gif]

Old 01-27-2008, 07:36 AM
sharkeydude
Road Master

1st gear, clutch ready to run from granny...

Quick Reply: Shifting into neutral????? update