General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:13 AM
pockets2000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High Beams

Ride with high beam on in the daytime. However after reading this article I may have to research this a little more. And it pains me a great amount to ad validity to the original posters comments.

http://twowheelsoapbox.com/?p=26

Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 AM
corgi
Road Master

One a bike with a single front light I use High beams and on a bike with passing lights I use low beams with passing lights on. Been doing that since the mid 70's and ain't gonna change due to your "Rookie" comment. Anything that increases visibility is a good thing.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:41 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi or low, it's good to be sure the light is aimed properly. If it's aimed down or away, it will be hard to see, no matter...

Old 01-25-2008, 03:51 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

"FLASHING the high beams to get attention, that's another issue entirely." Flashing lights usually means "go ahead and pull in front of me"

Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Will this get me any attention?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:24 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

I used to run low beams and until I saw the reflection in the back of a tailgate at a stop light. Passing lamps and dim head light didn't show up very well. Now I run bright. I also have a set of 50 watt halogen bullets on the engine guards, pointed where I thinkthey would hit a windshield.I'm presentlysearching for a homing device that willautomaticallysearch for, identify andpoint the lights toward a cell phone, Bud Light, magazine, make-up kit, compact,or hamburger. Us rookies need assistance.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/4997AC4A2E4B4285B406126610B12E4C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2008, 08:06 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Givethem aticket mon...
Or are you just a forum cop
ORIGINAL: Silvertip

What's with the rookies on bikes who have their high beams on during the daytime? IMHO it does not make it easier to be seen, low beam will be just fine thankyou. Everytime I see this I find that it just makes it harder to judge how fast the bike is coming towards me. Not to mention how it seems to hurt the eyeballs. If the cagedrivers can't see you with yer lows on what difference is hi going to make?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or, you could just drive a dumptruck.
Wait, a lady pulled out in front of one the other week on Columbia rd. We could ask her if she saw it, but...
ORIGINAL: 99octane

I've been driving for about 20 years.
So, let me say something from the driver point of view: running with high beams on as a safety measure is pure delusion. Even worst: it's DANGEROUS.

It just follows the principle that, if a dose of something is good, then a LOT of it is better. Well, try that with painkillers and make your heirs let me know about the results!
High beams DISTRACT and BLIND!
Yes, I may be aware that there's a dork out there somewhere with his high beam on, but I can't be aware of much else, and it may make me crash into some poor other bastard I didn't see (YOU, for example), or I can just slam on may brakes to avoid hitting something while seeing nothing, and the only result will be he rams into my car, hurts himself and actually has to pay for the damage as well.
During day, high beams are distracting and can anyway be blinding, if the sky is overcast or you are running in the shadow.

Moreover, just to bust the delusion of high beam = more visibility, HIGH BEAM ON A BIKE IS VERY EASILY MISTAKEN FOR A CAR WITH A BADLY SET LEFT LIGHT, AND MOST DRIVERS WON'T ACTUALLY PAY MUCH MORE ATTENTION THAN WHAT'S NEEDED TO FLICK THEIR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

The low beam is more than enough to be seen both in day and night, and they are MUCH better than the high beam, as you don't get a blinding halo in your rear view, but can pinpoint the location of the bike, and it's less mistaken for something else.

There is, actually, something everyone can do to make his bike more visible and, above all, easier to identify as a bike: buy the additional lights.
There are studies made by serious safety organizations (such as railway safety organizations) that have determined that the highest degree of safety is obtained by using three lights, if possible set in a triangle (but in line is good anyway) that show more clearly the vehicle, identify it in an unmistakable way as a bike, and actually allow even peripheral vision to discern at which relative speed the two vehicles are running.

Moreover, wearing appropriate, highly visible clothing with bright colors and reflexite stripes will make you more visible even from a side point of view, which is probably the most dangerous one.

FLASHING the high beams to get attention, that's another issue entirely.