General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:27 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High Beams

Every heard of a State having a law that all motorcycles must ride with High Beams on? Did you know your auxilary side lights burn out quicker than your main light? Running them in the day will shorten their life. High Beams or low Beams a cage will not see you either way while they are talking on the cell phone. Who cares how fast the other bike is going? Enjoy your ride.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:28 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

rookie? WTF?

I run low beam because it's the only way my spots will work... my spots are bright( I can afford light bulbs)and I like a large lighted area on the front of my bike ...If my lights would work with hi beams and spots I would use that butwith my yellow signal lights and my front fender light on also, I look like a friggen christmas tree....

Old 01-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Dogs of war
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Silvertip

What's with the rookies on bikes who have their high beams on during the daytime? IMHO it does not make it easier to be seen, low beam will be just fine thankyou. Everytime I see this I find that it just makes it harder to judge how fast the bike is coming towards me. Not to mention how it seems to hurt the eyeballs. If the cagedrivers can't see you with yer lows on what difference is hi going to make?
What makes you think they are "rookies"? How do you know how long they have been riding? Is it possible they have been riding longer than you? That is a very weak statement by you.

I have been riding H-D's since I was 21. In the 17 years since then I have had my hi beam on during the day and havebeen seen much better and easier.

As far as it hurting your eyeballs. Didn't your parents ever tell you not to stare at the sun? Same thing here.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

To be honest too bad if they don't like the high beam for that couple seconds i'm a part of their life.Mylittle light is one of myPRIMARY pieces safety equipmentso they'll just have to DEAL with my high beam for a moment. The bastards will KILL YOU if they don't see you, so I don't really give a damn if they like it or not to be honest.Any little thing you can do to make yourself stand out is a good thing. I don't ride behind someone really close with it on, I do turn if to low beam if I'm right behind someone as this is a major irritation I know. But tooling down the road i dont necessarily go to low beam if it's just an oncoming car, especially in city traffic as those left turn morons are the killers.

"I'm really sorry, I just didn't see you" doesn't do me much good to be honest...

Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM
TooManyClowns
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...like you said, that's your opinion..
I used hi beam till I decided to go with a headlight modulator

Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rookies, did you stop them and ask if they are a "rookie"? I ride with my highs on, whenever I am behind a car at a stop I always seethe driveradjust their rear view mirror to the 'night time' setting, that tells me they see me.

I was taught in drivers ed, not to stare at the oncomming headlights, maybe your are the rookie for looking directly at the oncomming lights

Old 01-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,458 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Tell you .... 50 years of ridin and I'm convinced that nowadays nearly all cagers take classes to learn new and interesting ways to try and kill my azz [:@]!

I'll put a beanie propeller on top of my head and carry lit sparklers in my teeth if it'll deter those sumgritches. Lights, bright and lots of 'em... YES!! At night, do practice dim light courtesy for all approaching vehicles.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:49 PM
turtleman57
Road Captain

Guess I am still a rookie, been riding with my high beams on for over 30 years now, lol.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:59 PM
HarleyForeverFLHX
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silvertip

What's with the rookies on bikes who have their high beams on during the daytime? IMHO it does not make it easier to be seen, low beam will be just fine thankyou. Everytime I see this I find that it just makes it harder to judge how fast the bike is coming towards me. Not to mention how it seems to hurt the eyeballs. If the cagedrivers can't see you with yer lows on what difference is hi going to make?
Sometimes im astonished at what some people will post on here. I truly think this guy wants some attention. Tell you what, why don't we just appoint you the Safety Commission Chairman with all your bright ideas. I can't believe this thread.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:02 PM
badherb
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

high beams and drivng spots on I look like a frikin airport run way if it will keep people from aiming their cages at me. Oh yeah I'm still a rookie too... riding for 15 years and not changing my attitude towards being seen.

Quick Reply: High Beams