Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Security Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:18 AM
YNOT55124
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Security Worth it?

Wondering what the popular opinion is regarding the HD Security System. I decided not to go with it, figured the bike comes with akey andfork lock. I figuredif some @&# wants the bike bad enough they willget it whether it has the security system or not. Since it is an option, I thought I would see what you all have to say about it.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 AM
unclekunkle
Tourer
Default RE: Bike Security Worth it?

I might-a passed on it cept here in Cali...seems all the dealers order em that way. So if yer buyin off the floor it's part of the deal.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i would not pay for it unless it was like uncle said.

For the most part if they want that bike no dam alarm will stop them and the pro's can have that bike in the back of a truck or van before you know what happens. and by by bike.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:46 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I vote no. That security system isn't going to stop a thief.... Might stop you if the batteries in your Fob die

Old 01-23-2008, 12:48 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get a discount on my insurance because I have the security system. As noted, though, the dealer had it ordered on the bike anyway,and unless I was willing to wait on a special order it was not an "option." Seems the dealers like that trick. Put "extras" on at the showroom rather than wait for buyer to select them. If you don't like it then go somewhere else ... oh yeah ... somewhere else is 165 miles away and we own that store as well.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:29 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,180 Likes on 1,821 Posts

Other than it giving you that warm fuzzy feeling, about all it will do is keep someone who is honest....honest. I have one on mine and I will use the security system instead of locking the ignition when stopped for a short time. If they want it bad enough, they are gonna get it.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:59 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't have one on the Sportster of course. But I live/travel in decent neighborhoods and use a fork lock.

The thing about those alarms is that after awhile we all ignore them. Other then when traveling, I don't see the need.

YMMV

Old 01-23-2008, 02:36 AM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

The basic security system was already installed in all three of our bikes, but I did buy the siren and install that myself. I know a determined thief can get away with the bike pretty quick, but it still lets me rest easier knowing the casual idiot will at least be deterred from messing around with someone else's ride.
I am a big advocate of Lojack - not really a theft deterrent, but probably no better shot at getting a stolen bike back quick, before it's parted out.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:28 AM
pockets
Cruiser

Opted out of themotoco security thing, put lo-jack on both bikes, makes me feel better

Old 01-23-2008, 03:55 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

I've seen a lot of this "Locks keep only honest people away", and let me say it's complete bull$hit.
I've worked for several years for a company that designed and installed security systems for banks and military installation, in a position where I both contributed to this and worked on telematic security, and now work for a company that sells security devices, so I know what I say.
100% security is a figment of the imagination, and that's true.

BUT

Security is a matter of probability.
You can't make yourself thief proof, but you may make yourself more secure by far and a less attractive target for thieves.
You are not the only one with a bike, and they are not all out to get you. For starters, a security device will discourage occasional random attempts andmake your bike much more secure.
If they want your bike, well, there's very little you can do, but a good security system may drastically reduce the time the thief has to take the bike away, and that's another advantage.
You can't make your house completely fireproof, but you DON'T keep gas tanks near the stove, and you DO have a fire extinguisher, right?
The same applies to security.

So, proper security devices may make a prospective thief think again and choose some other easier victim (one with the "locks block honest people only" attitude, for example).

But it's true you must not overdo the security thing (as any other thing, actually)
Security devices are ok as long as the cost and inconvenience of having them doesn't surpass the value of the protected good or impairs you from using it freely.

There's a happy medium between being totally uncaring (and therefore an appetizing target to any thief, no matter how mediocre his skills) and being overly concerned with security so that you actually spend more in security devices than what would be reasonably needed, or that should be spent in a good theft insurance, which is a necessary complement to any security measures you enact anyway.

A solid, pragmatic view on security is essential in getting the maximum, reasonable protection you need. This includes evaluating the neighborhood you live in, and where you park your bike.
Somebody parking his bike in his fenced office parking lot with security cameras and in his condo garage with 24/7 surveillance in a good neighborhood or that lives in open country with very little population is far less at risk than one that has to let his bike parked in a densely populated bad neighborhood every day.

So, in the end, your call, but added security device reduce dramatically the chances of your bike being stolen.

Quick Reply: Bike Security Worth it?