Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Security Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:24 AM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bike Security Worth it?

Mine also came with the security system. I added the siren after I came out of a store and some ******* was sitting on my bike. Will it stop a pro from stealing it? NO, he's going to get it anyway.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any aftermarket theft systems better than the HD version?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 AM
fxst00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had one stolen and I know the feeling, and it sucks.

The locks that you are talking about are cheesy.

A well placed foot to the bars will brake the fork lock. I was showed one of the locks that are in the fork and its a cheesy looking cabinet or tool box style lock. Not very sturdy looking.

A pair of channel locks will take care of the ignition lock.

I have the alarm but I bought my bike used and don't use it most of the time.
Jeff
I can't remember how to even turn it on or off. One click or two ?????

Old 01-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Draggin S
Road Master

Bwahahaha.......the fastest way to "learn" some stroke sitting on your bike when you come out........start yelling to everybody around as loud as you can......"Hey!!!! somebody call the police.....there's some lowdown scumbag stealing my bike!!!!!!!........

if you don't just loose it and slap-smack the $hit outa him it may be good for some free adult beverages on his tab foryour friend whose bike he was sitting on and you for telling your friend how to score free drinks....ask me how I know...........

now if it lools like a"real" scumbag out for no good....you may use your own discretion and protect your property with whatever means you feel comfortable with..... .32, .380,.357, .45etc.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:00 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Dam this bike looks good!!!
ORIGINAL: DI75

MINE GOT STOLEN!! IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY!![:@]

Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 AM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

Not for me. Just make sure my insurance is paid up.
As I said, mine was only generic free professional advice. Ultimately, it's your call. You are a better judge of your specific situation than I could ever be. The only important thing is that it works for you, and not for the thieves.
Enjoy your bike. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 1of2

I had the security from the factory and installed the siren myself. I love it. No one is going to jump on my bike and ride off because it disables everything and if the try to cart it off it will scream bloody murder all the way down the street and then some. even disconnecting the battery will not stop it. if they Do get it home they better know their **** or they will never get that bike to run again. Unless they know my code or have the key fob they are going to have a hell of a time with it. I will have it on all my bikes from now on.

We have to be cautious, here, because this is not actually true. The security system can make an occasional thief think twice, may give even the professional less time to act undisturbed but, once the bike is off in a rig, removing the security system and wiring in a control-free ECU in its place is a fairly basic operation that requires no particular skills. A guy with a couple tools and basic skill can do the job on the run and have the bike up and running before it's unloaded from the truck.
A HIDDEN, custom breaker switch is another thing entirely. It's one of the most simple and basic security systrems in the world, yet one of the most effective for its price, and if you don't know where it's placed, probably rewiring the whole bike is a more efficient solution than looking for it. The control unit may be hidden ANYWHERE. It's so small it can be hidden anywhere, and the "trigger" may be anything, anywhere.
You don't trigger it, the bike/car won't start, no matter what.
There are ways around it, on a vehicle so simple and open like an air cooled carbureted bike, but I don't think a public forum is a wise place where to post such stuff. Plus, they work to steal the bike, but to resell it you have to find the switch first, and bypass it.
As said, not easy. It's more effective on EFI bikes and very effective on cars, but given the cost, I'd give it a try.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:33 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: petemac

I have the HD security system with siren, but the best protection is keeping your insurance premium paid. Like others have said, if someone wants your bike bad enough, they'll take it.
Yep. As I said, no security system is reason enough to forfeit a good insurance.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:34 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what insurance is for.
ORIGINAL: OhioSkully

i would not pay for it unless it was like uncle said.

For the most part if they want that bike no dam alarm will stop them and the pro's can have that bike in the back of a truck or van before you know what happens. and by by bike.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:36 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

Last year, we were in Mexico at a rally. Lots of bikes there. We go to dinner with some friends. I activate my alarm. When we come out and I do the FOB thing...nothing. I continue to do this for several minutes. Thought the FOB was dead, so went back to hotel and got spare. No go!!

So, I start asking other bikers if they know the secret to unlocking this, because it's new, and no I did not read the manual, and no the dealership did not tell me about the pin, etc! No one knows how to unlock this, but one guy said he thought if you did the signal buttons in a certain way it would unlock.

Now I'm looking for someone in the pack we came up with that has a trailer, cuz this bike is not unlocking, and I am not looking forward to finding a way to get this bike out of Mexico! We are there about 2 hours now! Everyone has tried one way or another to unlock the damn thing. I finally get on it and just start punching the signal lights any which way and I must have hit the secret number, because bam, she unlocks!

I get back to the dealership and ask WTF? Don't know...seems fine now! And oh, btw, the dealership tells me...if you disconnect your battery for 10 minutes, that will disarm it! And of course they told me about the VIN number etc.

I've never used it again. I am sure if someone wants the bike bad enough they will get it. In Laughlin, the big organized crime guys have Semi's and cranes, and go through the parking lot and just throw a crane rope around your bike and in 20 seconds, it's in the back of a Semi!! And the parking lots have guards!

Insurance is better than alarms!!

Quick Reply: Bike Security Worth it?