Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Security Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:08 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike Security Worth it?

I have the HD security system with siren on both my bikes. Its loud enough to alert me if i am just inside for cigs or something. I like the idea that once armed if anyone messes with the bike the ignition and fuel pump is killed right away. On the 03' I have to manually arm the system, and there is adjustments for all sorts of stuff like how much movment it will take to set it off.
On my 08' the system arms/disarms itself automatically via the proximity of the fob....and it works well. I have been thinking about getting the pager and want to see if I can set it up for two bikes????
One thing many people dont realize is if they buy a new bike that comes with the security system already installed, there is a PIN number that you can use if your FOB is lost or disabled. This PIN should be changed to your personal number ASAP. The MOCO usually uses the last 5 numbers of the VIN, or 5 zeros as a default. I wonder how many bikes get ripped off by someone who knows the default code????
Anyhow by using the "PIN" number you can start the bike even if the FOB has a dead battery or is lost, so dont feed into all the bull about the system not letting you start your own bike. of course if you have locked the ignition or forks, and have lost the keys your out of luck. the ignition needs to be turned to ACC for the PIN to be entered correctly.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:31 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MINE GOT STOLEN!! IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY!![:@]

Old 01-23-2008, 05:21 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine came with it. No siren, but I like the ignition disable.

MikeM

Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: biz44

I have the HD security system with siren on both my bikes. Its loud enough to alert me if i am just inside for cigs or something. I like the idea that once armed if anyone messes with the bike the ignition and fuel pump is killed right away. On the 03' I have to manually arm the system, and there is adjustments for all sorts of stuff like how much movment it will take to set it off.
On my 08' the system arms/disarms itself automatically via the proximity of the fob....and it works well. I have been thinking about getting the pager and want to see if I can set it up for two bikes????
One thing many people dont realize is if they buy a new bike that comes with the security system already installed, there is a PIN number that you can use if your FOB is lost or disabled. This PIN should be changed to your personal number ASAP. The MOCO usually uses the last 5 numbers of the VIN, or 5 zeros as a default. I wonder how many bikes get ripped off by someone who knows the default code????
Anyhow by using the "PIN" number you can start the bike even if the FOB has a dead battery or is lost, so dont feed into all the bull about the system not letting you start your own bike. of course if you have locked the ignition or forks, and have lost the keys your out of luck. the ignition needs to be turned to ACC for the PIN to be entered correctly.
True, but the dealer should instruct the new owner on the PIN feature, and it's in the manual too, together with a couple of tags where you can write your own personalized PIN (obviously NOT to be left on the bike ).
The problem is for those getting a used bike w.o. the owner's manual.
Well: the owner's manual is available at any dealership and it's always worth reading.

BTW: if you enable the activation/deactivation BEEP, it functions also as a diagnostic signal if anything in the system is wrong, or you got a low batt.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not for me. Just make sure my insurance is paid up.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:54 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

I had the security from the factory and installed the siren myself. I love it. No one is going to jump on my bike and ride off because it disables everything and if the try to cart it off it will scream bloody murder all the way down the street and then some. even disconnecting the battery will not stop it. if they Do get it home they better know their **** or they will never get that bike to run again. Unless they know my code or have the key fob they are going to have a hell of a time with it. I will have it on all my bikes from now on.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tour a lot so I got the security system when I ordered mine. I also added the siren and pager options. I lay the pager next to my Colt .45 in my motel room at night.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the HD security system with siren, but the best protection is keeping your insurance premium paid. Like others have said, if someone wants your bike bad enough, they'll take it.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 AM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99 Octane has it right. It is called hardening the target. Can a professional theif get the bike if it has an alarm, yes. But why would he wnat to if there are bikes beside it without alarms. And it keeps the amatuer from jumping on and taking off with it if youneglect to lock your forks. If you plan on keeping your bike any amount of time, the alarm will probably apy for itself with insurance discounts. They are rather substantial here.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:20 AM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

No security system for me either. Face it, the professional thief will easilysteal it if he wants it, and the non professional low-life will simply put a gun in your face and demand the keys. And these electronic devices which monitor thelocation of the bike when activated----do you really want torecover the remains ofyourbike after the low-life's have had their fun with it?Can't winunless you wish to ride an undesirable bike that no one wants to steal.

The best thing is a paid up FULL coverage with LOW deductable insurance policy valid in all49 states. And if the scum bags hit your bike, let them have it and get the insurance settlement and go on. Fighting those hopped up low life scum bags for the bike is a big mistake unless you are trained in armed combat. Just waving a 44 mag around probably could get you hurt. You gotta know how and whento use it, and be willing to facing all the legalconsequences from your use of deadly force to protect your personalproperty.

Too much for me! I got the insurance and my agent's phone no.

Quick Reply: Bike Security Worth it?