General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long will it last?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008 | 07:54 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: How long will it last?

wow best I heard yet I only got 5120

Old 01-23-2008 | 10:25 AM
my2004harley
5th Gear

I have a 2004 Electra Glide with over 50,000 and it's running strong. No problems other than all the chrome and other fun stuff I've added. I service it myself, keep it clean and take great care of it.

Old 01-23-2008 | 10:57 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

My '05 Electra Glide Classic has 69,000 on it and is running like a champ. Just routine maintenance. It's been running on Amsoil it's entire life. It got the 95" kit and 10.25 pistons at 20,000 and otherwise is untouched.

It's going in for new cam shoes in the next couple weeks. I checked them 23,000 ago and they looked like new, but I'm going to just replace them now that they've got 50k on them.

At the rate things are going I'll be shocked if I have any problems before 100,000 miles. I'll let you know on the board here when she goes in for a top end some day.

This is a long distance commuter bike ridden daily (135 miles a day round trip - 95% freeway mileage in So Cal). I logged 33,000 miles in 2007. Just oil changes and tires. Changed the fuel filter at 47,000.

Old 01-23-2008 | 10:59 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

something to think about is when you read the want ads one thing almost always listed is how long since the last rebuild was secondly how low the mileage is. Just food for thought.

Old 01-23-2008 | 11:11 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Capt.Bob

An air cooled engine is actually TOUGHER than a water cooled,
HUH!
Actually, even this is quite right.
It mostly depends on how the engine is built. Air cooled engines just happen to usually be less stressed engines, with less specific power than water cooled ones. So, they tend to last longer.
Low compression, lower power to displacement ratio tend to make most such engines tough.
Air cooling has its merits, though.
A liquid cooled engine block may be of one of three types: open deck, semi-closed deck or closed deck.
This refers to how the cylinder actually sits in the block. On an open deck engine, the cylinder is surrounded by cooling liquid and just a couple reinforcing appendages connect it to the main block.
In a semi-closed, the cylinder barrel is more supported, but still largely free-floating in an empty space that is then filled by cooling liquid.
In a closed deck, the barrel is a monoblock with the block, and some channels to allow coolant circulation pass near it.
Almost all water cooled engines are of open deck design, which is cheaper, lighter and allows for easier, more unform cooling.
They also allow for more barrel distortion that can, in time, lead to a blown head gasket, especially if high compression rates are associated with a lean burning condition, or if a turbine boost is overdone (often happens on Subaru engines, which has also the drawback of two-pieces block construction due to the boxer type engine).
Very few engines, such as some old Volkswagen (like the Jetta's) and the 4G63 of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo are closed deck engines.
Don't know much about water cooled bike engines.
Air cooled engines have usually thicker walls, made even more rigid by the cooling fins, so there is less risk of distortion from undue pressure or forces within the cylinder, even if blown gaskets due to thermal distortion caused by cold spots on aircraft air cooled engines have been observed (especially on the very powerful Pratt & Whitney R2800 engine equipping for example the F4U-Corsair WW II fighter).
Problems due to construction processes, like a cylinder bored without first tensioning the block, which then causes a blown head gasket are an altogether different thing, and if an air cooled engine is more prone to the problem due to higher termal stress, it may happen on poorly manufactured water cooled engines as well.
So, it is actually a complex issue, but in general you may be safe saying that an air cooled engine will be tougher than a similar water cooled one put to similar use.
Again, my knowledge derives from automotive and aircraft engine technology, and I may be wrong about bikes engines.

Old 01-23-2008 | 12:41 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: doc_cj

It breaks the day-after your warranty runs out.
Ain't that the truth!

Old 01-23-2008 | 01:51 PM
squintbo
Cruiser

I have 85,000 on my 98 RKC. No major engine work done.

Old 01-23-2008 | 04:05 PM
francis
Cruiser

U hurt your bike your bike will hurt you Carpe Diem