General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail vs. Touring - Best Touring Bike is ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006 | 05:21 PM
jd_underdog
Road Captain
Default RE: Softail vs. Touring - Best Touring Bike is ???

The touring models are the way to go, thats my 2 cents worth

Old 01-19-2006 | 05:56 PM
DMSC
Road Master

ORIGINAL: vernh59

Besides the air suspension the FL family is about 4 inches longer than the softies. That stretch makes'em ride better. I rode a softie before I bough tmy RK. On a short run the softail is OK but I put about 2500 a month on my RK and the TOURING family is the only way to go.
Though I agree that the touring bikes ride better than softails on long trips, being longer isn't the reason. In fact, a E-Glide is shorter than a Heritage Classic according to H-D's specs...

Heritage

W/B = 64.5
O/L = 94.5

E-Glide Standard

W/B = 63.5
O/L = 93.7

Old 01-19-2006 | 08:48 PM
Ice
Elite HDF Member

I absolutely love my wideglide,but IMHO Harleys best bike is their "roadglide".That bike will be my next one for sure.........That bike is well suited for everything.

Old 01-19-2006 | 09:05 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

On my fourth Harley in 20+ years and my second EG now and as long as I can hold one up I'll have an EG.[8D]

Old 01-20-2006 | 12:57 AM
Pauljr
Cruiser

I have an 03 FLHTCI and ride about 20k a year. This fall my wife myself and another couple went to Italy and rented a couple of Heritage Softails . Man did I miss my bike. Don't get me wrong the soft tail is a great bike but for 2 up long rides no comparison. Ask yourself how often you will be riding 2 up ?

Old 01-21-2006 | 10:18 AM
DensFLH
Cruiser

Had a Softtail Delux and loved it. Thought there was nothing better. Since the wife wanted to ride with me a lot more then I though she would. Just bought an 06 EG Classic and holly cow!!! It is a much smoother ride on the highway.

Old 01-21-2006 | 12:19 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior

OOPS!!! I sit corrected.[8D]

Old 01-22-2006 | 05:27 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

I have an 03 Heritage that I have put 30K on including 2 runs to Sturgis and back from Anchorage.

It is a great machine. Carbed with DynoJet, AC, and pipes. Put a tour pack on it for the run in 05 so that I no longer looked like a dust bowl refugee with stuff bungied all over the back. Also added a backrest for comfort.

But this last trip, I had 3 days of rain on the way out and 2 on the way back. The leather was looking pretty sorry. It took me 3 full days to get the bike presentable again.

She never missed a beat. But at freeway speeds in Montana and Wyoming she had a kind of frantic little beat to the engine when I was running at 75 plus.

All the rain and mud of the last trip made me realize that I was maybe pushing the envelope a bit.

So I traded my FXST in on a new 06 Ultra. She will run all day long at 80 and not break a sweat. It seems as if she likes that speed. The Heritage was more comfortable at 60 to 65.

The Ultra should handle the wet better without all the leather. I do miss the 150 rear tire of the Heritage though.

The Ultra got a 6 speed tranny and a Stage II 1550 w/ SE 203 cams and a PC III. It is Winter here, so I have not had it out on the road to see how she does since the mods.

I plan on using the Ultra on the long runs and the Heritage on the shorter ones.

Planning on a run to Sturgis in 06 so look for the Alaska plates.

Old 01-23-2006 | 06:26 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

Like many have said, there is a reason they call this flh series the touring series. The bikes are designed for the highway, stereos, air suspension, cruise control. The softails are nice bikes and make an excellent bike for around town or short trips. They look great too. But at the end of the day, after riding with my cruise on , listening to my tuens, after sitting on my pillow seat, I'm ready to actually do something when I get at my destination.

Just depends on the type of riding you want to do. Rent each bike for a couple of days and put some miles on. I'll bet you'll end up with dresser

Bubba

Old 01-23-2006 | 08:58 PM
hdman
Road Captain

I'm a old geezher and its been my observation over the years that when you are young and full of p#ss and vinegar the Sporties,Dynas, Softies, V-Rs suit your style better. Then as you age, most of us migrate and die with a Glide........ hdman

Quick Reply: Softail vs. Touring - Best Touring Bike is ???