General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail vs. Touring - Best Touring Bike is ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006 | 02:25 PM
harleyboy63401
Road Captain
Default RE: Softail vs. Touring - Best Touring Bike is ???

I've got a RKC and a FatBoy in my garage and I also owned a FXDWG and I'll take any ride from the Touring family over the others any day and time. Don't get me wrong. If i never traveled I would have a FXDWG. But for traveling nothing in the HD family beats a tourer!

JUst MY .02!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2146/F49B83DCE48740A7BF212178F2B3FB8A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-15-2006 | 11:34 PM
turbo nasty
Intermediate

Softail picks up considerable vibrations at 75 plus MPH, your hands feel it after riding 4-5 hours a day on big trips.

No trips over 200 miles non stop one way get a softy ever think of going over get a bagger.

I let my bud that has a duece ride my WG( has the same motor/mount as the baggers) and he was kinda upset that he did not know about the Dynas when he bought his duece.

He kept saying man what a smooth ride.... man what a smooth ride.

Old 01-16-2006 | 12:34 AM
zopi
Cruiser

Softail is only soft in comparison to a rigid...I'll never own one unless they figure out how to make one run like a V-rod, handle like a sporty and cruise like an E glide..<G>

heh-heh,,sticking with my Geezer Barge.

Old 01-16-2006 | 03:44 AM
gsparesa
Tourer

Question: Why did Harley-Davidson establish the “Touring Family”?

Answer: So you would know which models were the best bikes for touring. [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 01-16-2006 | 04:02 AM
gsparesa
Tourer

ORIGINAL: zopi

Softail is only soft in comparison to a rigid...I'll never own one unless they figure out how to make one run like a V-rod, handle like a sporty and cruise like an E glide..<G>

heh-heh,,sticking with my Geezer Barge.
"Yes" on the V-Rod and EG comparisons but "NO" on the Sporster. I owned a Sportster and that top heavy POS was a POS in the twisties. I don't want to ever work that hard riding a modern motorcycle again. That POS beat my a$$ every time I rode that POS. However, I did ride an '05 Sporster and it is miles better than what I had. I still think it's a POS. The Dyna Super Glide is a better handling, better performing Harley-Davison.

Old 01-16-2006 | 01:58 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain

I have owned a fatboy and now a street glide. The glide is WAY better on the highway and it's lowered! The Fatty beat the crap out of me on long hauls. Now I get to the party and am ready to party!

Old 01-16-2006 | 02:55 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

Red scout is right on point.

Old 01-19-2006 | 01:32 PM
J and M
Intermediate

I have the RK CLassic and my Brother had a 2003 Fatboy.... we rode from Sturgis to a friends ranch in MT in 2003 and let me tell ya.. it was only about 150-200 miles each way (did it all in one day) and my brother was NOT happy after that long of a ride. He was beat to death and when you go over 50... his face looked like a hound dogs... floppy jawls and all.. ha ha ha It was funny,.. well, not to him I guess. My RK just cruised along with the cruise set at 70 and feet up... he looked cranky.

Old 01-19-2006 | 05:01 PM
DMSC
Road Master

ORIGINAL: J and M

I have the RK CLassic and my Brother had a 2003 Fatboy.... we rode from Sturgis to a friends ranch in MT in 2003 and let me tell ya.. it was only about 150-200 miles each way (did it all in one day) and my brother was NOT happy after that long of a ride. He was beat to death and when you go over 50... his face looked like a hound dogs... floppy jawls and all.. ha ha ha It was funny,.. well, not to him I guess. My RK just cruised along with the cruise set at 70 and feet up... he looked cranky.
Well, not to get personal...but, your brother must be a wimp. I've ridden my Heritage on several 150-350 mile, single day rides and it's not been a problem at all.

Old 01-19-2006 | 05:12 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior

Besides the air suspension the FL family is about 4 inches longer than the softies. That stretch makes'em ride better. I rode a softie before I bough tmy RK. On a short run the softail is OK but I put about 2500 a month on my RK and the TOURING family is the only way to go.

Quick Reply: Softail vs. Touring - Best Touring Bike is ???