General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail vs. Touring - Best Touring Bike is ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006 | 10:46 PM
RockyRoad
|
Intermediate
Default RE: Softail vs. Touring - Best Touring Bike is ???

I've spent a lot of money on my softail. Now have a SE 6 speed on order to give better mpg and lower vibration. When time comes to replace 2nd set of tires I'll have to look at a road glide or street rod (The new touring bike). Thanks.

Old 01-13-2006 | 10:57 PM
redscout
Road Captain

You're buying a 6 speed for lower vibration and still worried about the rubber-mount shake?

That's some bucks, isn't it? Sort of looked into that for the bagger and the 6 speed was sort of "high dollar". But not because of vibration...

Maybe we all ought to go for a ride on the Indian, then we'll quit worrying about ANY Harley vibration... (need any paint mixed?)

Old 01-13-2006 | 11:22 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Marine Corp

Tried a softtail and a Road King - went with the RK. 9 months, 10,000 miles a few 500 mile days back to back - love the ride and the comfort. With the air adjustable suspension is great to be able to level the bike regardless of the load.

For long distance riding, I would go with the FLH again.

Old 01-13-2006 | 11:34 PM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer

I'll tell you this: I rode 3 times the 1450 miles from Lubbock, TX to Cleveland, OH on a '91 electra glide, only in slight pain towards the end. (only stopped for coffee and gas)
But the 300 miles from Fayetteville, NC to Hilton Head, SC KILLS my back on a Night Train, and I put a fatso seat on and 5-1/2" pull-back risers to try and sit more erect. Didn't help.

Old 01-14-2006 | 02:16 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member

I've ridden my NT to Taho, maybe 1500 miles? I wasn't sore, and I rode on the badlander seat!!! but then again I'm a kid 29 years old.

Old 01-14-2006 | 02:35 AM
sfarson
Road Master

Have ridden many H-D's on rentals. My favorite long distance bike? Probably few would concur... the Dyna Wide Glide. Minimalist. Stretched out. Rubber mounted and suspension. Cool. But, one of these years, when retirement is around the corner, I'll probably opt for something a little more luxurious and dedicated. But for now... pointing that skinny front tire towards the horizon is me.

Even have the bags for the travel ...

Old 01-14-2006 | 03:49 AM
Cool Breeze
Road Master

My Dyna T-Sport is amazing. It shakes at idle especially when holding the front brake, but out on the road its smooth as glass, even at 70 mph the mirror's don't shake. The wife and I decided to keep the dyna and get a RK or EG Classic next year. Can't wait!

Old 01-14-2006 | 04:05 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

IMHO maybe thats why "Glides" are called Touring Bikes and others arn't. I ride a Fat Boy it rides nice but for the long haul I get a bit jealous of the "Baggers" they arrive all fresh and ready to party well all the rest of us act like we are ready but deep down inside he are huring like heck. Once again only my .02

Geno

Old 01-14-2006 | 10:05 AM
spartns
Road Master

I rode 'em both and went with the RKC. We ride to our house in Michigan quite a bit (335 miles) and no butt pain. Gotta stick with the FLH.

Chris

Old 01-14-2006 | 11:37 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

I've had both, a 04 Heritage and now the ElectraGlide, as far as a comparssion there is none for me, the EG all the way, don't get me wrong the Heritage is a bad machine, looks good and is a good bike, but (theres always a but) I was always searching for comfort in the a$$ section, or the back, don't have to do that with the EG, and I think a bagger looks way cool, heck I even thought of putting hard bags on my Heritage before I traded, the best move I've made so far.

Quick Reply: Softail vs. Touring - Best Touring Bike is ???