General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight modulator

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:50 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: headlight modulator

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

If they are indeed irritating, is it enough for you to run somebody off the road, pull that left turn anyway, or slam on the brakes hoping they will eat your bumper? How bout loud pipes, do they irritate you too?

Loud pipes don't blind me. And, of course I would not run someone off the road, and would not even for more serious irritating behavior. All I am saying is that they are irritating, and I do not like them. What kind of question is that anyway. How do we go from being irritated to wanting someone to wreck, or perhaps even causing someone to wreck. I'm notpsychotic for christ sakes.
Sorry, I'm still hyped over my "discussions" with Zukeeper. His idea of dealing with irritation is pretty aggressive. I still don"t understand the blinding bit. Just last weekend I passed a metric head on w/modulator and in no way was it bright enough to affect my vision. I was only impressed that I saw him at a good distance and had I been making a left turn it would definetely keep me from pulling in front of him.
That's my experience and I amconvinced that if I had a mod on my bike I would not have been hit and be sitting here with a cast on today. Just MHO.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:55 PM
DDDeepdiver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, To all you guys who are so upset and irritated about the modulators...please makesure your taking blood pressure meds. If something as small as this irritates you this much..... your a stroke waiting to happen. and to zukeeper please dont make us hicks look even dumber then people think we are. I want you talking for the hicks about like i want those KKK idiots talking for us.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: wallyn

If they are indeed irritating, is it enough for you to run somebody off the road, pull that left turn anyway, or slam on the brakes hoping they will eat your bumper? How bout loud pipes, do they irritate you too?

Loud pipes don't blind me. And, of course I would not run someone off the road, and would not even for more serious irritating behavior. All I am saying is that they are irritating, and I do not like them. What kind of question is that anyway. How do we go from being irritated to wanting someone to wreck, or perhaps even causing someone to wreck. I'm notpsychotic for christ sakes.
Because that was the sentiment Rydermike gave:

When I see one coming up in a lane next to mine going at a faster rate , I move into that lane just to annoy them as much as thier rude flashing annoy's me.
Btw Modulators don't blind people during their daytime use, just make you more visible. And most models allow you to turn them off when you want t
o.
I disagree. If the light is hooked up to the bright light (and they often times are), I find them to be blinding, even in the daylight. So far I've had one guy tell me they are not annoying and another tell me they aren't blinding. How is it that for me, both are true? Matter of fact, also find those idiotic daytime running lights (on newer cars and trucks)to be blinding as well. As I stated, this is just my opinion. I don't plan to hurt anyone over the issue,but know from a fellow rider (only for the past 35 years, so maybe I just don't get it) that not everyone appreciates your method of "being seen."

Old 01-25-2008, 02:57 PM
DDDeepdiver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are "blinding you" you might want to get as eyes checked as someting is very very wrong with them.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

Guys, I just don't understand the contraversy, but I've had my say.
I will ride with the damn thing as soon as my leg heals. Yes, I would set of nuclear blasts if I thought it would get me noticed on the road. I apologise ahead of time to those who will find me irritating and hope you will do me no harm because of it. I do NOT ever want to hear AGAIN,"I didn't see him", while I'm laying bleeding and smashed in the middle of the road.]
Ride how you want, on whatever you want. I hope you never face what I have for the last few months.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kissan makes a very nice unit with a photo cell so it will not work at night, place it pn your high beam so you can easily turn it off. Fed regulations made it legal in all 50 states.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:24 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Daytona Glider

I am curious as to how many of these people who use the modulator for safety, ride with no helmet. I saw a guy today with one and no helmet. Seems like a contradiction to me.
1) Its a choice.
2) Maybe with the modulator he feels safe enough.
3) Maybe he stole the bike but forgot his helmet.
4) Maybe he's just a "wild and crazy guy"

I thought I was done but I just had to add this .02c.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F-less gloves, posers, assless chaps, goggles/no goggles, helmet/no helmet, DOT v. Snell, Softails v. Dynas, Metrics v. Harleys, Metrics/Sport v. Harleys, and now as a grand finale (probably not) - Headlight Modulators. Reminds me of a 'pour yourself a cuppastfu'ad I saw few years ago, that's for all of us, to pour ourselves a cup, that is. Just ride and let ride; if someone's modulator annoys you look the other way for what, 2-3 seconds, maybe little more. (for the guy who said that DRL's blind him, if daytime running lights blind you, dude, you need to have your eyes checked, seriously, not being a smart @ss, just know that's not normal eyes there). We are a bunch of whining, pouting, panzies here, and need to take a couple steps back and look at the big picture. Like I mentioned before, going out your way to endanger a fellow biker, whatever he or she rides, by pulling in front cause they're running this mod thing is just plain messed up - borderline road rage. As for threatening to beat someone up over using them, what are we back in high school now.We are supposed to be mature enough to make big decisions such as owning the coolest motorcycles ever built, but we henpeck each other worse than my aunt and grandmother used to do from living next door to each other their whole lives.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree. If the light is hooked up to the bright light (and they often times are), I find them to be blinding, even in the daylight. So far I've had one guy tell me they are not annoying and another tell me they aren't blinding. How is it that for me, both are true? Matter of fact, also find those idiotic daytime running lights (on newer cars and trucks)to be blinding as well. As I stated, this is just my opinion. I don't plan to hurt anyone over the issue,but know from a fellow rider (only for the past 35 years, so maybe I just don't get it) that not everyone appreciates your method of "being seen."
You need to get your eyes checked because you must be in perpetual state of Dilation. Either that or you need to stop staring into the light.The ambient daylight is always brighter than any headlight high or low beam. The modulating high beam just makes you more visible. It is law to have a Light sensor on any modulator to be street legal. Modulation at night is illegal.

The co-imagination unit has alight sensor sensative enough to shut off the modulation in dark shadows. But then your highs would be on alone without the modulation. I think this would only be a problem in a tunnel.

This is legal in all 50 states so you will probably start seeing more on the road everyday so get used to it.

Still anything to keep me noticed by on coming cagers.