General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident Survey

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:41 AM
HarleyForeverFLHX
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Accident Survey

I've noticed a lot of post about motorcycle accidents and such. A lot of doom and gloom. Im guilty myself .To here all of us talk, one would think it's Hell on the street. Yet we can't wait for a sunny day. There's at least 50,000 members on this site from what i understand. Lets take a survey. I personally believe we need to take a positive look at motorcycle accidents. I think it would be safe to say , there's more riders out there that have had nothing but pleasurable rides. lets take a look at the facts.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:47 AM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Accident Survey

I had one when I was 16, but it was because i was on a motocross bike on the road, and while going around a curve hit water on the road. knobby tires just don't hold on wet pavement....

Old 01-20-2008, 08:50 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I was reading some other thread, and one of thepeople postingmentioned a study they had done, and I believe the figure was that only 1.7% of registered motorcycle owners had been involved in accidents. (Not sure if this was per year, or what the exact time period was)..

That leaves a lot of people that have been 'accident free', including myself.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:51 AM
DragonsBreath
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None yet. Been riding for 26 years. More so in the past 7 years though.
Knocking on wood.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:00 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no problem with riding in traffic. I live and do 99.9% of all my riding in and around the NYC Metro area, so riding in heavy traffic is just the way it is and you have no choice but to get used to it, or not ride/drive. I have lived here all my life, so now it has become second nature. Also, what we would consider moderate traffic here in NYC most of the rest of the country, excluding just a handful of other big cities would call....BUMPER TO BUMPER!!!

As far as accidents go....to be totally honest, and to tell you the 100% truth I have crashed so many motorcycles, both involving other cars, other motorcycles, and immovable objects, that there is absolutely no way in the world I could come up with a number. Like I have said before on this forum.....I worked for a few years as a motorcycle messenger in NYC....and on top of that I spent about a decade abusing drugs and alcohol....while riding, and working as a messenger (had no car back then....only bikes....rode all year around). Lets just say I am very, very fortunate, and I never forget to thank god for first of all getting me to put the drugs and drink down at a young enough age that at least my mother, before she died had a chance to see that I was not going to be a total basket case all my life....and for protecting me, and others the all many years I was not in my right mind.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big knock on wood.None in 17 years of riding.Dozens of close calls but no contact.My dad has been in two bike accidents.Knock on wood again.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:04 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's probably plenty of people who've had one accident but aren't here to talk about it.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:14 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

30 + years on the road........1 bad wreck June of 05. No cars involved.......Road conditions.....Unavoidable

Old 01-20-2008, 09:48 AM
HarleyForeverFLHX
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: biz44

I have no problem with riding in traffic. I live and do 99.9% of all my riding in and around the NYC Metro area, so riding in heavy traffic is just the way it is and you have no choice but to get used to it, or not ride/drive. I have lived here all my life, so now it has become second nature. Also, what we would consider moderate traffic here in NYC most of the rest of the country, excluding just a handful of other big cities would call....BUMPER TO BUMPER!!!

As far as accidents go....to be totally honest, and to tell you the 100% truth I have crashed so many motorcycles, both involving other cars, other motorcycles, and immovable objects, that there is absolutely no way in the world I could come up with a number. Like I have said before on this forum.....I worked for a few years as a motorcycle messenger in NYC....and on top of that I spent about a decade abusing drugs and alcohol....while riding, and working as a messenger (had no car back then....only bikes....rode all year around). Lets just say I am very, very fortunate, and I never forget to thank god for first of all getting me to put the drugs and drink down at a young enough age that at least my mother, before she died had a chance to see that I was not going to be a total basket case all my life....and for protecting me, and others the all many years I was not in my right mind.
I must say, Im impressed with your riding history. I think everyone has been in your situation at least once so im no judge, but your riding history in NYC could teach us something im sure. PLEASE, take time to share with us and maybe we could implement some of your skills into our everyday riding .

Old 01-20-2008, 09:56 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been riding 41 years now and have never been down. Hope that keeps up.

Quick Reply: Accident Survey