General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008 | 06:11 PM
Kolni
Banned
Default RE: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

ORIGINAL: HarleyForeverFLHX

Ok. Lets look at it your way. let's do nothing. Lets let it go as it is. People are gtting worse and worse as staticits show.
What stats?

Provide me a link

People wont even stop for red lights and most roll through stop signs.
Really? Then write them a ticket for it. Ofcourse, everytime people get a ticket here oin the boards they always blame the ******* cops for the ticket and think they should be going after REAL criminals. Then they ask for advice on how to get OUT of the ticket. Others even bitch the the police only write tickets to get money and that it has nothing to do with safety.

What camp are YOU in?

. How many of you have rode on the interstate lately ? Cars running like there in nascae. Feet away from the other.

exaggerated much?

Just let it go. People can ruin others lives but thats cool. When i drive out my drive way. I HACVE TO NOW EXCEPT IM GOING TO BE CRUSHED OR RAN OVER. WHEN I WANT TO TAKE A BIKE RIDE, I HAVE TO EXCEPT SOMEONE MAY BE IN A BAD MOOD ...OH WELL.
Never said that, what I said is that when you ride you know the risks of injury are higher then driving. That is just common sense. Personnaly, I accept those risks.

Here...lets take another example. A guy shoots a friend. says it's an accident. oh well. A guy takes starts swinging a knife in the mall and cuts a girls head off. Woops its an accident.
You are kidding right?

In both of those situations negligence is clearly involved. Seriously, no comparision between the two.

WHY IS IT OK TO HAVE LAWS AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING AND NOT PEOPLE FLAT OUT HAVING A TOTAL DISREGUARD FOR THE LAW AND HURTING OR KILLING SOMEONE ?

Because with DUI it shows iuntent the minute the guy starts the car, not so with a cell phone.

IT'S THE SAME. LIKE I SAID. YOU BREAK THE LAW, YOU GO TO JAIL. YOU RUN A RED LIGHT OR STOP SIGN, YOU GO TO JAIL. YOU PULL OUT CAUSE YOUR TO BUISY TO LOOK, YOU GO TO JAIL PERIOD !!!!!!!
You yourself can not go a single day without breaking at least one law. So you to would be in jail today yourself.

Your grief is not allowing you to think rationally.

Old 01-20-2008 | 06:13 PM
Kolni
Banned

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

These things all sound well and good.....but let the LEOs start aggressively enforcing traffic laws, and there will be nothing but complaining.
Yup, and they will be some off the first ones you pull over too. And then they will bitch because cops have "too much power" and that you should really be arresting REAL criminals (ie the balck man)

Old 01-20-2008 | 06:15 PM
Kolni
Banned

Btw HarleyForeverFLHX, I noticed that you live in Texas where helmets are optional.

Do you wear a helmet when you ride?

Old 01-20-2008 | 06:21 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

They can pass all the laws they want to, but if they aren't enforced, what good are they? I drive a 50 mile stretch of Interstate 20 in west Texas daily (2 round trips a day) and MAY see a highway patrol a couple of times a month. There are 4 that live in my town and if I was to drive by any of their house, there is a 95% they are at the house....This is almost24/7. If they are actually working, they are harassing truckers.

Old 01-20-2008 | 06:24 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

These things all sound well and good.....but let the LEOs start aggressively enforcing traffic laws, and there will be nothing but complaining.
You know what would happen, and I'm sure you have seen numerous posts about someone badmouthing the police about being pulled over for a moving violation...

People break the law, are issued a ticket (or whatever), and instead of taking responsibility they moan and groan and plan on how they can go to court to beat the rap.....

People love laws, and they want these laws to be enforced, as long as they aren't the one on the receiving end..

Old 01-20-2008 | 07:01 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sldavis

ORIGINAL: Kolni

ORIGINAL: sniper77

ORIGINAL: sldavis

....research has found that a person on the cell phone is as dangerous as a DUI driver.
Sorry, but I call Bull$#!t on that one.

Of course if you are lumping anyone that measures .08 to .16 into that equation you would be close since drivers in that DUI range seldom ever have an accident.
It is bullshit, cause you can always drop the phone when needed, but you can not instantly become sober when needed.
You can call bullshit on it if you want, but have you read the research?? It's called divided attention, and by the time you drop the cell phone the accident has probably already occurred.
"The research"???

Please the document you are referring to so I can read through it.

Old 01-20-2008 | 07:13 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dbalogh

CELL PHONES while driving WILL be illigalized if it's the last thing i do any of one want to sympathize for them should go to jail for harboring and assiting KILLERS. THEY might as well be shooting up with a needle in their arm of holding a pistol to YOUR head. CELLPHONES may not kill but people talking on them and driving at the same time are IDIOTS
As a person that has used a cell phone for work, in a large commercial vehicle, as well as the CB radio, various Nextel-type radios, computer keyboards for satellite communications all while driving in every type of traffic, on every type of road, in every kind of weather God can throw at us, for a cumulative exceeding three million accident-free miles over the last twenty-five years, let me just say you are the only true idiot on this thread and you will be worm dirt long before anyone stops people like myself from using cell phones while driving.

If you personally are too stupid to be able to walk and chew gum or drive and talk then chose one to do at a time and just be envious of the rest of us that find it not particularly difficult to drive, talk, smoke a cig, listen to the radio, and watch what all the idiots around us are doing and arrive at our destination without killing, maiming, or damaging anything or anyone.

</rant>

Old 01-20-2008 | 07:21 PM
BMdeckie
Cruiser

I noticed that you live in Texas where helmets are optional.

Do you wear a helmet when you ride?
Not exactly optional......

Effective September 1, 1997, persons at least 21 years old are exempt from wearing a motorcycle helmet if they:
[ul][*]have successfully completed a motorcycle safety course, or [*]are covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding upon a motorcycle. [/ul]
Motorcycle Safety Course.
The Basic and Advanced Motorcycle Operator Training Courses meet the helmet exemption requirement. The Advanced Motorcycle Operator Training Course is recommended for experienced licensed motorcyclists.
Health Insurance Plan.
Defined as " . . . an individual, group, blanket, or franchise insurance policy, insurance agreement, group hospital services contract, health maintenance organization membership, or employee benefit plan that provides benefits for health care services or for medical or surgical expenses incurred as a result of an accident."
Helmet Exemption Sticker. The Department of Public Safety issues Helmet Exemption stickers to persons who:
[ul][*]apply to the department on the form provided; and [*]own the motorcycle listed on the application; [*]provide adequate proof of successful completion of the Basic or Advanced Motorcycle Operator Training Course, or health insurance coverage, and, [*]pay a $5.00 non-refundable fee for each sticker applied for. [/ul]
Persons operating, or riding upon, a motorcycle with a helmet exemption sticker displayed on the license plate or license plate mounting bracket are presumed to meet the training or insurance requirements for riding without a helmet.

Old 01-20-2008 | 07:33 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned

ORIGINAL: HarleyForeverFLHX

Ok. Lets look at it your way. let's do nothing. Lets let it go as it is. People are gtting worse and worse as staticits show. People wont even stop for red lights and most roll through stop signs. So when the threat of accountability goes away, so does order. that's happening now. How many of you have rode on the interstate lately ? Cars running like there in nascae. Feet away from the other. It's getting out of hand. So we do nothing. Just let it go. People can ruin others lives but thats cool. When i drive out my drive way. I HACVE TO NOW EXCEPT IM GOING TO BE CRUSHED OR RAN OVER. WHEN I WANT TO TAKE A BIKE RIDE, I HAVE TO EXCEPT SOMEONE MAY BE IN A BAD MOOD ...OH WELL. Man how wrong can you be. Here...lets take another example. A guy shoots a friend. says it's an accident. oh well. A guy takes starts swinging a knife in the mall and cuts a girls head off. Woops its an accident. WHY IS IT OK TO HAVE LAWS AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING AND NOT PEOPLE FLAT OUT HAVING A TOTAL DISREGUARD FOR THE LAW AND HURTING OR KILLING SOMEONE ? IT'S THE SAME. LIKE I SAID. YOU BREAK THE LAW, YOU GO TO JAIL. YOU RUN A RED LIGHT OR STOP SIGN, YOU GO TO JAIL. YOU PULL OUT CAUSE YOUR TO BUISY TO LOOK, YOU GO TO JAIL PERIOD !!!!!!!
I'm really sorry about your friend. But I think you might want to consider selling your bike and stick with a cage.

Old 01-20-2008 | 08:22 PM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

You know what would happen, and I'm sure you have seen numerous posts about someone badmouthing the police about being pulled over for a moving violation...

People break the law, are issued a ticket (or whatever), and instead of taking responsibility they moan and groan and plan on how they can go to court to beat the rap.....

People love laws, and they want these laws to be enforced, as long as they aren't the one on the receiving end..
ditto and ditto
Motorcyclists are not blameless when it comes to causing accidents or hurting and even killing someone. They freely commit their share of traffic violations. The tendency here IS to look at how to get out of the responsibility tho. I saw a thread a while back wherein someone had suggested confiscating a bike under certain conditions, and most other posters had a cow. I'd like to see ALL drivers - cars and bikes - genuinely held accountable for their actions - with liberty and justice for all. (had to throw that in)

To HARLEYFORVER - you keep saying no one is doing anything. Besides ranting here, what is YOUR genuine and realistic action going to be? What is your answer to a problem that has many solutions that satisfy no one?

Quick Reply: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????