General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008 | 05:22 PM
BMdeckie
Cruiser
Default RE: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

First off, I am sorry for what your friend is going through.
Although, I did not loose my leg I understand what you and him are going through.

As I have mentioned many times before I was in a wreck a little over a month ago which left me with a broken pelvis. (still not able to walk).

The lady that pulled out in front of me as she exited that mini-mall was on her cell phone. After the wreck as ,she starred at me laying on the ground she kept saying "I'm sorry, i'm sorry, I didn't see you, I WASNT PAYING ATTENTION." She told the cops something to the effect that she was on her phone and didnt look deep enough into the road to see me. All she saw was there was enough space in westbound traffic that she could slip in.

Thislady could have ruined my life. Neither I nor the doctors know how well I am to fully recover. I am in the Coast Guard and as you can imagine using my legs is kinda key in my job. The doctors and I are remaining positive, but no one really knows if I will get to strap on that body armor and weapons belt and jump behind the helm and hit the water with my crew. Every since I was little my dad would call me from the living room if something was on TV about the Coast Guard. So I guess you could say it has been a boy-hood dream of mine. I have worked my butt off to get the qualifications I have or I guess I should say had. Then this lady comes along and takes it out in one swoop. Heck, I was thinking after "if" I leave the Coast Guard I may look into furthering my public service by trying for a police agency or fire department....is that possible now....who knows. So I know how your friend feels.

You mentioned the insurance. I am damn lucky this happened while I am in the military. Who knew an ambulance ride, ER visit, stint in the hospital, drugs, surgery, etc. etc. etc. could cost so much. Her insurance isnt enough to cover all of it, mine luckily will with no extra financial cost to me. However, even if mine didnt I couldnt sue her to cover the rest of it. I was informed that in the state of Texas unless she owned property she didnt live on I cant sue. Odd I know.

Out of all of this she got a ticket.....She might have taken all I have ever wanted away from me in just a matter of seconds. I'm sorry but a ticket just dosnt balance out for someones life.

Now im not saying I want this lady to go through I went through.I dont want an eye for an eye......But a simple ticket just dosnt seem enough.

Old 01-20-2008 | 05:27 PM
dbalogh
Tourer

"So what are you saying?

That you want people put in jail everytime someone causes an accident? "

HELL FN YES, do you really even ride. When you the hell are we going to start a petition to have cell phone users that HIT bikers made illegal, more serious and throw those ******* in JAIL. Get off YO AS#ES and take a stand. GEZZUS Chrimnoy, no don't do a damn thing and complain to the guy missing his leg that he took a risk now live with it. I have written my congressman who happens to be a biker and we're going to punish this aholes

Old 01-20-2008 | 05:33 PM
dbalogh
Tourer

CELL PHONES while driving WILL be illigalized if it's the last thing i do any of one want to sympathize for them should go to jail for harboring and assiting KILLERS. THEY might as well be shooting up with a needle in their arm of holding a pistol to YOUR head. CELLPHONES may not kill but people talking on them and driving at the same time are IDIOTS

Old 01-20-2008 | 05:37 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Comment removed ... my husband didn't realize I was logged in .........

Old 01-20-2008 | 05:40 PM
dbalogh
Tourer

"Seriously though. Sorry for your friend.
But all of you ( except Kolni) need to get a grip."

NO YOU NEED TO GET A GRIP, KOLNI's response is bullSH&^ and so is yours. YOU guys are a bunch of knucleheads and need to get your brains checked at the door. STAY off the road because it's dangersous minds like yours that perpetuate the need for more policing.

Old 01-20-2008 | 05:45 PM
Kolni
Banned

ORIGINAL: dbalogh

NO YOU NEED TO GET A GRIP, KOLNI's response is bullSH&^ and so is yours. YOU guys are a bunch of knucleheads and need to get your brains checked at the door. STAY off the road because it's dangersous minds like yours that perpetuate the need for more policing.
So I take it that YOU have never, ever had an accident?

And since you are willing to put everybody in ajil that causes an accident, how do you plan on paying for that?

Keep in mind that it would cause an increase of 25% population or more in our jails.

Seriously, nothing you have posted yet makes any sense.

We already have laws against distracted driving, how are more laws gonna make it better?

And I find it funny that you want us to stay off the roads when we recogine the dangers we take.

You however seem to think that if we just had enough laws tghat things like this would never happen.

That is simply not true.

Accident will always happen...it is a part of life.

Yeah this situation sucks for the guy that lost his leg, but some good just might come from it. It is all up to him and how he views life.

Old 01-20-2008 | 05:59 PM
HarleyForeverFLHX
|
Banned

Ok. Lets look at it your way. let's do nothing. Lets let it go as it is. People are gtting worse and worse as staticits show. People wont even stop for red lights and most roll through stop signs. So when the threat of accountability goes away, so does order. that's happening now. How many of you have rode on the interstate lately ? Cars running like there in nascae. Feet away from the other. It's getting out of hand. So we do nothing. Just let it go. People can ruin others lives but thats cool. When i drive out my drive way. I HACVE TO NOW EXCEPT IM GOING TO BE CRUSHED OR RAN OVER. WHEN I WANT TO TAKE A BIKE RIDE, I HAVE TO EXCEPT SOMEONE MAY BE IN A BAD MOOD ...OH WELL. Man how wrong can you be. Here...lets take another example. A guy shoots a friend. says it's an accident. oh well. A guy takes starts swinging a knife in the mall and cuts a girls head off. Woops its an accident. WHY IS IT OK TO HAVE LAWS AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING AND NOT PEOPLE FLAT OUT HAVING A TOTAL DISREGUARD FOR THE LAW AND HURTING OR KILLING SOMEONE ? IT'S THE SAME. LIKE I SAID. YOU BREAK THE LAW, YOU GO TO JAIL. YOU RUN A RED LIGHT OR STOP SIGN, YOU GO TO JAIL. YOU PULL OUT CAUSE YOUR TO BUISY TO LOOK, YOU GO TO JAIL PERIOD !!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2008 | 06:03 PM
sldavis
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Kolni

ORIGINAL: sniper77

ORIGINAL: sldavis

....research has found that a person on the cell phone is as dangerous as a DUI driver.
Sorry, but I call Bull$#!t on that one.

Of course if you are lumping anyone that measures .08 to .16 into that equation you would be close since drivers in that DUI range seldom ever have an accident.
It is bullshit, cause you can always drop the phone when needed, but you can not instantly become sober when needed.
You can call bullshit on it if you want, but have you read the research?? It's called divided attention, and by the time you drop the cell phone the accident has probably already occurred.

Old 01-20-2008 | 06:07 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

These things all sound well and good.....but let the LEOs start aggressively enforcing traffic laws, and there will be nothing but complaining.

Old 01-20-2008 | 06:07 PM
Catfish57
Tourer

I entered on my wifes post instead of my own. So let me refraze, a leg for a leg. Its not an accident. It is neglenent driving. He can sue in court. He still wont get his leg back. Nothing good and I repeat nothing will come from this. You are right Koni there are to many people in jail already so I repeat a leg for a leg.

Quick Reply: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????