General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008 | 08:45 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

Ok.....so I had enough...and I stand up, but now what? Its tough to say, but sometimes life is just a game of chance. There aint nothing that you can do about it. Anything could happen at any time.
Back in 81 I ran a stop sign.....at high speed. Sure it was a isolated area, and I never thought there would be a car there....but as luck would have it there was. A AMC Gremlin....I was on a Honda CB750F.....I totaled the car....and the bike of course. The driver of the car was a young guy, and after I caught my breath (thank God I didnt get hurt too badly) and walked back over to the intersection, the guy was sitting on the ground vomiting. He tried to sue me for many years, saying he was too shaken up to drive any longer....and a bunch of other crap. He didnt get a dime....I didnt have one to give him. He was never able to even get a judgment against me. So as you can see it works both ways

Old 01-20-2008 | 08:50 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Kolni

ORIGINAL: HarleyForeverFLHX

If I understood correctly. she had 10/20/10.
I have no idea what that means.

What do you think she should be charged for?

Because she was held accountable for the action she violated, and her insurance will cover the rest. That is why we have insurance.

Yeah it sucks about your friend, but accidnets happen.

Again I ask, do you want to put everyone in jail that causes an accident? Cause that would be 1/2 the population.
Yeah, they were fighting over a cell phone rather than driving. That's not an accident, thats negligent. She should be put in jail. An accident is when you're paying attentino and "oops". This was her actively fighting with someone.

People need to be held WAY more accountable.

Old 01-20-2008 | 09:55 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

As long as We, as Motorcyclists, refuse to stand up, and protest these insane laws that allow negligent parties to walk away from an accident that they caused, We are still gonna be Targets.

Far too often, the Biker is badly hurt or killed, and the cage driver pleads..."I never saw him" that means, "I wasn't paying attention" Throw thier asses in JAIL! Its time that we, the Motorcycling community, stopped being the Guilty party. We have rights to use the roads, the same as a cage. We are lisinced, the same as a cage, We are insured, just the same...WHY do we seem to have laws that allow US to be hurt or killed, when if the guilty had hit another cage, they would have been arrested?

We MUST stop this overwhelming falshood of being invisible on the roads. WE can be seen...We HAVE our lights on, there is absolutly NO WAY IN HELL, that we can not be seen as often as the morons in the cages say we are. Yet they continue to get away with that lame assed excuse for maiming or killing us.

Accidents happen...Negligence is PLANNED! Treat it accordingly.

Old 01-20-2008 | 10:20 AM
HarleyForeverFLHX
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: Trailfndr

As long as We, as Motorcyclists, refuse to stand up, and protest these insane laws that allow negligent parties to walk away from an accident that they caused, We are still gonna be Targets.

Far too often, the Biker is badly hurt or killed, and the cage driver pleads..."I never saw him" that means, "I wasn't paying attention" Throw thier asses in JAIL! Its time that we, the Motorcycling community, stopped being the Guilty party. We have rights to use the roads, the same as a cage. We are lisinced, the same as a cage, We are insured, just the same...WHY do we seem to have laws that allow US to be hurt or killed, when if the guilty had hit another cage, they would have been arrested?

We MUST stop this overwhelming falshood of being invisible on the roads. WE can be seen...We HAVE our lights on, there is absolutly NO WAY IN HELL, that we can not be seen as often as the morons in the cages say we are. Yet they continue to get away with that lame assed excuse for maiming or killing us.

Accidents happen...Negligence is PLANNED! Treat it accordingly.

Imight not should say anything about this , but I feel this info should be known. I can't speak for cops or Highway patrol's everywhere. But I can in this county. I have some friends that are FHP and Police. We were having a party one night and we got into a conversation about accidents. Listen to this now ! The number one excuse for all accidents is "I DIDN'T SEE THEM ". That's with cars trucks motorcycles everything. And everyone lies. The officer has been trained to assess the accident based on a lot of factors. The least one being what the driver says. He has to compile the findings and come to a conclusion based on His information. One big problem with the police force is , they don't like being dragged into the courts being chewed apart by high prised lawyers.
The law enforcement people that i've known have stated that motorcycle riders are considered "ORGAN DONORS" and are not taken seriously as a NORMAL DRIVER. they feel a motorcycle is a recreation vehicle and should be taken that way and stay out of the heavily populated areas. They feel you know the hazzards of riding motorcycles and should put that knowledge to use. In other words. Don't get on one. Most police think drivers are idiots. They see stuff we don't every day. Stupid stuff that changes the victims life.
My big question to our great State of Florida is, How is it I can walk within 8inches of another person and act in a threatful manner and be arrested for it, yet I can get in my car and hit that same person and not even be given a ticket ? Something is very wrong with our system folks. And until we stand up and do something about it. it's going to stay that way. We have ABATE. let's stand together and wake ABATE up and rather than looking like fools screaming for no helmet laws. Lets stand up and let everyone know, WE'RE HUMANS WITH RIGHTS JUST LIKE CAGERS. NOTICE US OR GO TO JAIL. ( If found negligent ).

Old 01-20-2008 | 10:30 AM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned

They should give that little bitch the needle.
Then they should pass more laws, because if there is one thing I know for certain, we dont have anywhere near enough laws in this country.
Then we should hire way more cops to enforce all these new laws.
I, for one, am completely looking forward to the coming police state.
I cant wait to lose all my freedoms.
Who needs em? It would be better to have to hide in your home out of site for fear of some over rambunctious gung ho cop who is bored and needs something to do, seeing you and deciding he can screw with you, just cause he can.
Its going to be a blast.

Seriously though. Sorry for your friend.
But all of you ( except Kolni) need to get a grip.
Cause if you dont, you will see, when its too late, that my sarcastic remarks were prophetical.

Old 01-20-2008 | 10:40 AM
hogdad
Road Captain

Hey HarleyforeverFLHX.... I feel your pain and rage.That could be you,me or any bikernext time so like I saidI feel your emptions. But you gotta think about it a few minutes. Yeah.. Shes a dumb irresponsible cumt like many others out there. You can't tell me many here in this forum-maybe even you and me?-haven't driven thier cars trucks bikes etc while drunk, distratcted, angry, in a hurry etc and put bikers and other motorists at risk.But we as bikers know the risks we take when going on a public roadway with other vehicles. When you think the fires too hot its time to get outta the kitchen. I agree certain states need to hit people more in the pocket for neglient accidents but...... only to have a guilty criminal plea or finding to support the CIVIL litigation which should follow a negligence accident. By the way how long have you been street riding??

Old 01-20-2008 | 12:00 PM
da_big_Guy
Cruiser

I am to the point where I think it is time to spread the rumor of threats to idiot drivers. Email is a very effective way to spread information, good or bad. I wonder if an email went around that said bikers have had enough and are vowing to follow stupid drivers to their destination and beat their facesagainst their bumpers, would this make at least some people take more notice of bikers? If theemail said that bikers havesworn to one another to take vengeance on someone who kills another biker due to negligence,in other words, we will takeretribution in ourown hands since obviously our lawmakes can forcezeroresponsibility or accountability on the general public. The good thing is, a message like this could have a positive effect without having a thread of truth. I will say one thing, if anyone I know and love is severely hurt or killedbecause someone is negligently driving while yaking on their phone, DWI, etcI will probably beat them severely with said phone/beer bottle/etcif I don't outright strangle them while laughing into their bulging eyes. I think we are to the point where putting the concerns/fear we live with while trying to enjoy our rightsback on John Q. Public is the only solution.

Old 01-20-2008 | 12:36 PM
sldavis
Road Captain

With all due respect, some of the suggestions here are just plain nuts. After working vehicle collisions for over 20 years, i can tell you that just about all motor vehicle accidents are caused by some kind of negligence. Drivers are human, and as such it is impossible to drive all the time and never become distracted, or inattentive for short periods of time. Now I'm all for banning the use of cell phones in moving vehicles, as research has found that a person on the cell phone is as dangerous as a DUI driver. But some of the penalties called for here....c'mon. You may think it will never happen to you, but if some of these would be passed, would you really want to have your son or daughter thrown in jail or given the needle because they had a traffic accident??? Just be careful of what you ask for, because just about every driver will be involved in an accident at one point in their driving career, and someone will be at fault 100% of the time. Next time it could be you or one of your loved ones that could be on the recieving end of this "kill them, throw them in jail, chase them down and beat the **** out of them" mentality

Old 01-20-2008 | 12:56 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sldavis

....research has found that a person on the cell phone is as dangerous as a DUI driver.
Sorry, but I call Bull$#!t on that one.

Of course if you are lumping anyone that measures .08 to .16 into that equation you would be close since drivers in that DUI range seldom ever have an accident.

Old 01-20-2008 | 01:05 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry to year about your friend. The girl should definitely be charged with manslaughter.According to the Hurt Report, most accidents occur at intersections because the driver didn't see the motorcycle.The fact that the girl was distracted isunacceptable. A man could have lost his life.

Quick Reply: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????