General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008 | 10:05 PM
Kolni
Banned
Default RE: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

ORIGINAL: JayStronghawk

Ever heard of MADD? That was the clincher of stopping DUI Drivers killing maiming and getting a slap on the wrist... Why I mentioned pus the law Drive no Damn Cell phone in use... Have been active in this for 5 years now in FL and so far losing but ain't gave up...
Candy Lightner, the starter of MADD, went to my church. MADD started in my city.

Originally she just wanted to stop drunk driving. Now they want ALL drinking and driving outlawwed. Not even .01 alcohol level.

MADD got taken over, Candy Lightner is no longer involved as she disagrees with what they now are trying to do.

In short, they are not your friends and are being extremely unreasonable.

Old 01-19-2008 | 10:08 PM
Kolni
Banned

And one more things. California passed a "No cell phone law" while driving either last year. If you are driving you must have a hands free unit.

Not only is it ignored, it isn't even enforced. I suspect because cops are also on the phone all the time themselves while driving.

And if you want to outlaw phones while driving then what?

No radios?

No talking?

I can go on and on.

Old 01-19-2008 | 10:22 PM
ColoradoGlide
Road Master

Lock her up.

Old 01-19-2008 | 10:50 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Kolni

And one more things. California passed a "No cell phone law" while driving either last year. If you are driving you must have a hands free unit.

Not only is it ignored, it isn't even enforced. I suspect because cops are also on the phone all the time themselves while driving.

No radios?

No talking?

I can go on and on.
True it may not be enforced but is on the books if someone kills another while driving causing an accident ... As far as radios and talking take them too I don't like the music my kids play and my wife is always talking too much anyway

Old 01-20-2008 | 03:11 AM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

No radios?

No talking?

I can go on and on.
Jeez, no more cheeseburgers - -
Wa passed a law against cell phone use while driving too - kinda redundant tho, already a law against inattentive and/or negligent driving. Cell phone is only a small part of the HUA phenomenon.

Old 01-20-2008 | 07:08 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

First, let me offer my sympathies to you and your friend, I hope he is able to go forward in life with a quality that brings him joy.

Now: People really need to get a grip on their hatred of cell phone usage while driving. Everyone needs to understand that accidents are not caused by people because they are talking on the cell phone; they are caused by people that lack the skills to operate a vehicle being licensed to do so.

Not to get too political but, since just 2001 there are more people killed on our highways each year than have been killed in combat for 7 years combined total. 46,000 on average each year are killed because of inattentive driving.

I understand when you see people do stupid stuff on the highway and see that cell phone stuck to their ear it can make you focus on the phone but it isn't the cause, just the excuse. Qualified, competent people can operate a cell phone and drive without ever incurring an accident yet there are thousands of people that can't drive a minivan and deal with their kids at the same time. The same can be said for those dang GPS units people stick on their dashboards, the news is full of stories of people actually running into things because their "tomtom" told them to turn left....

This is all backed up with the statistics that prove that "distracted" driving is the primary cause of all accidents.

The state is responsible for this plague and is the one that should be held accountable for each accident because the DMV is the agency responsible for licensing these retards that can't do the job they have been given permission to do. I know, I know, I've heard the excuse over and over; "People HAVE TO drive!"....No, they don't. I couldn't believe my eyes when I moved to the south and watched teenagers being issued a license to drive based on their ability to negotiate some cones in the parking lot of the DMV! That's right, they NEVER have to prove to anyone they can drive on the street or negotiate around ANY obsticle or perform even the most basic of emergency procedures!!![:@]

People need to be trained, tested, trained, and tested again throughout their driving years to make sure they are both qualified AND competent to operate a motor vehicle in all types of situations and then and only then will the accident rate would drop. Until you demand higher standards for the issuance of a license, nothing will change except the families destroyed by the incompetence of the government YOU vote for.

Old 01-20-2008 | 07:14 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

eye for eye!!

she should donate her leg for a transplant , for your buddy

Old 01-20-2008 | 07:25 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned

No radios?

No talking?

I can go on and on.
Doesn't go into effect until July 2008

Old 01-20-2008 | 08:28 AM
HarleyForeverFLHX
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: sniper77

First, let me offer my sympathies to you and your friend, I hope he is able to go forward in life with a quality that brings him joy.

Now: People really need to get a grip on their hatred of cell phone usage while driving. Everyone needs to understand that accidents are not caused by people because they are talking on the cell phone; they are caused by people that lack the skills to operate a vehicle being licensed to do so.

Not to get too political but, since just 2001 there are more people killed on our highways each year than have been killed in combat for 7 years combined total. 46,000 on average each year are killed because of inattentive driving.

I understand when you see people do stupid stuff on the highway and see that cell phone stuck to their ear it can make you focus on the phone but it isn't the cause, just the excuse. Qualified, competent people can operate a cell phone and drive without ever incurring an accident yet there are thousands of people that can't drive a minivan and deal with their kids at the same time. The same can be said for those dang GPS units people stick on their dashboards, the news is full of stories of people actually running into things because their "tomtom" told them to turn left....

This is all backed up with the statistics that prove that "distracted" driving is the primary cause of all accidents.

The state is responsible for this plague and is the one that should be held accountable for each accident because the DMV is the agency responsible for licensing these retards that can't do the job they have been given permission to do. I know, I know, I've heard the excuse over and over; "People HAVE TO drive!"....No, they don't. I couldn't believe my eyes when I moved to the south and watched teenagers being issued a license to drive based on their ability to negotiate some cones in the parking lot of the DMV! That's right, they NEVER have to prove to anyone they can drive on the street or negotiate around ANY obsticle or perform even the most basic of emergency procedures!!![:@]

People need to be trained, tested, trained, and tested again throughout their driving years to make sure they are both qualified AND competent to operate a motor vehicle in all types of situations and then and only then will the accident rate would drop. Until you demand higher standards for the issuance of a license, nothing will change except the families destroyed by the incompetence of the government YOU vote for.

Iv been riding motorcycles all my life. I can remember at the age of 16 when I got my first bike and how the traffic reacted. At the age of 30 when I lived in Mobile Alabama, I can remember how people respected Harley's. I think mostly out of fear or retaliation. But in the last 8 years, Iv seen something change. People don't care for human life anymore. I do a lot of highway riding. I see people doing 85mph running up on another car and getting 6 ft away trying to get the other car to move. Iv watched people get so close it looked like Nas car. Iv watched cars ease me over just to get one car length closer to where they are going. Iv seen people pull in front of me causing me to slam on my breaks only to follow them and watch them go to a seven eleven for coffee. We've got a big problem with people not caring anymore.

There's a rider that belongs to HOG here. I know the guy. They were taking a ride on Sunday around 6PM. This drunk stoned idiot decides He didn't like Bikers and tried to run them over. He finely did it. Then took off. They were 25 waitresses who saw Him do it. They had to chase him down. The driver of the motorcycle was taken to the hospital with injuries and the lady riding looked like someone beat the hell out of her. The driver of the truck when confronted by the officer said quote -did I kill the piece of shot ?

&n

Old 01-20-2008 | 08:34 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Trey Hogger

Wa passed a law against cell phone use while driving too - kinda redundant tho, already a law against inattentive and/or negligent driving. Cell phone is only a small part of the HUA phenomenon.
Exactly....

Most jurisdictions already have laws against inattentive or negligent driving, but as most can see some people 'break that law' everyday while out on the highway.

There are also laws against drinking and driving, or driving while under the influence, but it still happens all the time.

You can have all kind of new laws dealing with operating a motor vehicles, but some will ignore new laws, the same as they ignore existing laws and feel they should only be enforced on others, and not themselves.

Quick Reply: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????