General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008 | 07:20 AM
HarleyForeverFLHX
|
Banned
Default RE: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

WE can argue all night or come up with something that will work for the good of motorcyclist. Some here have issue with anything that has to do with LEO. that's a personal problem and shouldn't be carried over here. One has to think of the motorcycle community as a whole rather than themselves. We've got to do something. People are pulling in front of bikers and killing them. I see people pulling in front of cars and everything all day. It's not just motorcycles. Some people just shouldn't be driving. If there's no consciquenses for their actions, what's to stop them from running over your daughter or son next time ? Think about it. We've come together in a common interest fighting for a no helmet law. Why not come together on auto driver awareness and passing some laws to protect us against negligent drivers.

Old 01-24-2008 | 10:35 AM
Brackneyc
Road Master

ORIGINAL: HarleyForeverFLHX

We've come together in a common interest fighting for a no helmet law. Why not come together on auto driver awareness and passing some laws to protect us against negligent drivers.

The two issues are not even in the same discussion. Wearing or not wearing a helmet is a concious decision made before you ever get on the bike. I don't hearanyone on this board stating that things could not be better. With that said, you cannot legislate or "teach" someone not to be negligent, since people typically (and sadly) do not really believe they are being negligent when they are doing it.The penalty and "teaching" for being negligent comes "after" the negligence has already taken place (in the real world anyway).

I don't think that because "I" choose to ride a motrcycle, that the penalty for hitting me should be any higher than it would be if they hit the next guy driving a car. It is an assumed risk, and I for one have accepted it. Bikers have always been a different breed, accepting what comes their way (in the form of life and the associated risks) and haivng their own unique way of dealing with it. In this case, all we can do is watch out for ourselves. The government is NOT going to change the laws for us, unless it is to restrict how we ride, where we ride and what we ride..all of which they have done or are doing. Ask them to intervene, and you get the "change" on their terms. I will not advocate for "them" to help "me."

Old 01-24-2008 | 10:57 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

The automobile lobby is much stronger than the motorcycle lobby, and that fact will be quite apparent if there is a 'territorial war' involving cars vs motorcycles, which results in new blanket motor vehicle laws being proposed and passed.

Motorcycle owners are already a minority when you consider the total number of registered motor vehicles on our public highways, and most law makers could care less about what we, as motorcycle riders,think is 'right and fair'.

They stay in office by pleasing the majority of the voting public, and that number is not in our favor.

As far as most law makers are concerned, and the majority of the public as well, the solution to the problem is very simple.

Ban all motorcycles from the public highways, or at the very least do as many other countries have already done by limiting the maximum horsepower and/or engine size of motorcycles, or restricting even more of the things that we as riders consider 'freedom of choice'...

It's difficult for a small dog (the motorcycle community) to try and bully a big dog (the automobile community) without the end result being very negative.

End of Story..

Old 01-24-2008 | 11:05 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Raxus

Truely sorry to hear about your friend, he's in my prayers FLHX. Can you shed some light on what you mean by 10/20/10 please?

Rax
Florida has a PIP law. Personal Injury protection. The min limit is called 10/20/10. thats what most TARD IDIOTS Have.
It's 10,000 for each person. $20,000 limit. So the most her insurance will pay is $10,000 to Him. He can sue her, but in Florida, you cant take a home or the primary mode of transpertation.So if you hit someone here....no big deal..well unless you've got money. In most cases, the hospitals pay the price along with the injured. THAT'S FLAT OUT WRONG !

Sorry to hear about your friend. That is truely tragic. As for the insurance your friend's underinsured motorist coverage should pic up the rest. That's exactly what it is there for.

Thoughts and prayers for your friend while he recovers.

Old 01-24-2008 | 01:44 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

The automobile lobby is much stronger than the motorcycle lobby, and that fact will be quite apparent if there is a 'territorial war' involving cars vs motorcycles, which results in new blanket motor vehicle laws being proposed and passed.

Motorcycle owners are already a minority when you consider the total number of registered motor vehicles on our public highways, and most law makers could care less about what we, as motorcycle riders,think is 'right and fair'.

They stay in office by pleasing the majority of the voting public, and that number is not in our favor.

As far as most law makers are concerned, and the majority of the public as well, the solution to the problem is very simple.

Ban all motorcycles from the public highways, or at the very least do as many other countries have already done by limiting the maximum horsepower and/or engine size of motorcycles, or restricting even more of the things that we as riders consider 'freedom of choice'...

It's difficult for a small dog (the motorcycle community) to try and bully a big dog (the automobile community) without the end result being very negative.

End of Story..

Exactly.

Old 01-24-2008 | 02:38 PM
Kolni
Banned

ORIGINAL: UnkleKronik

ORIGINAL: Kolni

<sigh> you have no idea how house arrest works.
how's it work? better yet, post how house arrest isn't cheaper and doesn't take up room in the jails you wondered about.
People on house arrest are controlled by Parol Officers, who are already way overworked.

In short, people on house arrest will ignore their braclet as soon as they figure out that their P.O. is way to busy to even notice.

Old 01-24-2008 | 07:09 PM
HarleyForeverFLHX
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: HeatherC

ORIGINAL: Raxus

Truely sorry to hear about your friend, he's in my prayers FLHX. Can you shed some light on what you mean by 10/20/10 please?

Rax

Sorry to hear about your friend. That is truely tragic. As for the insurance your friend's underinsured motorist coverage should pic up the rest. That's exactly what it is there for.

Thoughts and prayers for your friend while he recovers.

Thank you , And might I say you look exceptionally beautiful in that pic. I called the FHP today to get a copy of the report and to talk to the officer that worked the wreck. I ask Him why wasn't she charged . He said , Charge Her with what, Stupidity ? The only thing I could charge Her with in the state of Florida is failure to stop at a stop sign. That's sad. What's to stop people from doing this again ? I truly don't understand why we don't implement and enforce stricter laws. Neglect should be charged.
Now on the flip side. This young lady can be sued, She can lose a lot. Also if He sues and wins, She could have Her wages garnished for a long long time.
Today heading home from orange Beach, I was on blue Angle . I saw this guy shoot out of a complex. He didn't come close to stopping. He almost hit two cars, I turned around and followed Him. He stopped two blocks down the street at a thrift shop. I pulled up and ask Him did He know He ran a stop sign and almost got killed ? He told me to go F myself. I got out of my truck along with three of my friends and we walked over to Him. He seem to be concerned and alarmed. I walked over to Him and ask, why did you run that stop sign. You came here to a thrift shop, You couldn't of been in that much of a hurry to get here that you would endanger your life ? He looked at us and said, Who gives a F, no one was hurt, and He walked off. I called the police department and ask the dispatch if the man could be ticketed, she referred me to a deputy. I talked to him, told Him of the situation. He said if I had two witnesses that He could write him a ticket. I told Him we had four. He came out and confronted the man. Come to find Mr Smart *** had outstanding warrants for DRIVING ON SUSPENDED LICENSE & failure to report to the probation officer.
Next time you think one person can't make a difference, think twice. This year alone, I've assisted four DUI arrest and one ******* who ran a stop sign.

Florida has a PIP law. Personal Injury protection. The min limit is called 10/20/10. thats what most TARD IDIOTS Have.
It's 10,000 for each person. $20,000 limit. So the most her insurance will pay is $10,000 to Him. He can sue her, but in Florida, you cant take a home or the primary mode of transpertation.So if you hit someone here....no big deal..well unless you've got money. In most cases, the hospitals pay the price along with the injured. THAT'S FLAT OUT WRONG !

Old 01-28-2008 | 07:00 AM
HarleyForeverFLHX
|
Banned

Throughout my post, I've given facts and statistics on motorcycle accidents and fatalities. Along with safety tips. I haven't said once that the right to make that choice for yourself should be taken away. I did however say if motorcyclist didn't step up to the plate that the government would make the choice for you. I've tried to give you honest facts about safety and wanted nothing more than a honest debate about the issue of safety .

What I've learned is staggering. I gave you threads to see the response of a safety subject. Not so much the subject of the thread. That was my goal. No matter how it was presented to you, you found it offensive and rejected even the thought of considering safety measures. I find that most who posted had such a confrontational spirit, that any suggestion of the use of safety equipment would be futile and a waist to time.

In an ever changing world where the motorcycle community are embracing safety equipment and the advancement of safety equipment on motorcycles, the Harley community seems to going the opposite direction. Strange how all other motorcyclist feel safety advancements are a welcome advancement and a step in the right direction. Your government has already given you the right to choose and the fatality rate has almost dubbed sense that point. And the strongest growing number of accident and fatalities are coming from the Harley community in the age bracket of 40 to 56 . Approximately 4876 motorcyclist fatalities a year. 38 % of those could of been prevented if they would of wore a Helmet. Out of those accidents 89 % were head trauma.

Your reactions alone are the single one factor in why safety measures will be imposed on you without choice. I have no further comments or studies to make . Thank You for your time.

Old 01-28-2008 | 07:31 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

I can't help but wonder if you're not getting tired of being thought of as an idiot.

Old 01-28-2008 | 10:01 AM
blenk2
Cruiser

I'm as mad as hell and I aint going to take it any more.
I regularly bang on drivers windows when they cut me up. and if someone throws a cigarette but out of the window when I am following I sound my horn and pretend that it has hit me in the eye just to make them think about it next time.
They make me sick.

Quick Reply: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????