General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008 | 08:06 PM
HarleyForeverFLHX
|
Banned
Default RE: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

ORIGINAL: hitchhiker2706

Wow what a lively thread! Gotta throw my .02 in.....the one thing I haven't seen mentioned is a huge fine. A ticket for speeding or whatever that doesn't cause an accident, the usual fine. A violation that causes an accident, especially with injuries,,how about a HUGE fine,,,say a grand or two....that might be punishment enough or at least it might then get their attention. Don't pay it, lose the license. Get caught driving w/o license, go to jail.
I'm thinking the possibility of a huge fine might get some people to pay a little bit closer attention to the way they drive. Losing money makes most people feel a little pain,,,take for example that the threat of the city fining me 100 dollars a day if I refuse to cut my grass to the proper length, then taking my house away if I fail to pay the fines,,sure works to keep me in line and I cut my grass like a good homeowner should.
Big fines for bad driving or a crash, loss of car, loss of license, and possibly jail time,,might just work to change some attitude.
I just find it strange that about 40,000 people die in this country in a year in traffic crashes, and hundreds of thousands are seriouisly injured,yet we just accept it. That many deaths for any other reason and there would be an uproar and constitutional amendments and studies and committees and every other dang thing to try and fix it.

Help me find an answer!!!! [sm=hail.gif]
An excellent post. You have a good point. Hit the pocketbook. You wanta know why no one is doing anything about it ? No one is standing up. just like the bikers. they say....well its not happening to me, so what...but it is happening to them as a group. I would be extadic to see a fine placed .

Old 01-23-2008 | 08:17 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Kolni

ORIGINAL: HarleyForeverFLHX

If I understood correctly. she had 10/20/10.
I have no idea what that means.

What do you think she should be charged for?

Because she was held accountable for the action she violated, and her insurance will cover the rest. That is why we have insurance.

Yeah it sucks about your friend, but accidnets happen.

Again I ask, do you want to put everyone in jail that causes an accident? Cause that would be 1/2 the population.
Regardless of how many people are put behind bars, it's a matter of public safety. The term "accident" is used to describe any kind of incident involving another vehicle. Not everything is an accident. As in this case, if the driver was feuding over a F****** cell phone and blew through a stop sign causing her car to hit the motorcyclist....that was NOT an accident. This man is losing his leg because of her actions. That IS NEGLIGENT! If according to you, that by putting everyone behind bars who caused an accident it would total half the population, I'd be willing to be we would have our problem solved and accident rates would drop dramatically. We live in a society comprised of narcissistic sociopaths who have no regard for other people’s lives, much less safety.

Of course he can sue her in civil court and I hope he does and wins his case. Unfortunately, his life is forever ruined now, andany money he receives wont change that.

Old 01-23-2008 | 09:50 PM
Kolni
Banned

Again, who is gonna pay for all these new jails?

I have asked this for almost 6 pages now, and no one has answered me.

And all accidents have a degree of negligence to them.

And just because this guy lost a leg does NOT mean his life is ruined, changed drastically, but not ruined.

Plenty of handicapped people live healthy and happy lives. It will all be up to him and his outl;ook.

Old 01-23-2008 | 10:11 PM
pete913
Cruiser

Agreed, there are some real morons driving cars. Personally I think the only legal way to carry a cell phone in a car should be locked in the trunk. Been almost hit head on by a car, while in a car by someone with a cell phone screwed into his/her ear too many times. Never yet had that happen with someone eating a cheeseburger or swilling a coke on the go.

The bottom line on a bike is that cars are bigger and heavier than a bike, and if one hits you, no matter who's fault it is, you lose. I think one reason I'm still alive is that I never, and I mean never, assume other drivers at intersections either see me or know traffic rules. I've had folks deliberately do stupid things to me on a bike too, and the only smart thing to do is ride defensively. Start riding offensively in those situations and you are lookin at an early grave.If someone starts screwing with you on the road, back off, let the jerk have his little laugh. What goes around comes around and you might live to see it.

Old 01-23-2008 | 10:17 PM
HarleyForeverFLHX
|
Banned

And just because this guy lost a leg does NOT mean his life is ruined, changed drastically, but not ruined.

Plenty of handicapped people live healthy and happy lives. It will all be up to him and his outl;ook.
I think if we implement fines for Negligence. Not accidents, that it will deter most. If I know I would get a $1000 fine for Negligence, I would be watching out bigtime. As for the jails. I really don't think the jails would fill up, no more than they are now. Take the money from fines and build better jails or something better. Wouldn't take long at $1000 a pop to accumulate some money fast.

Old 01-23-2008 | 10:21 PM
ZJAvy
Road Captain

I think where everyone is missing the point here is; Running a stop sign is one thing but an incident with an injury is something entirely different even when you are talking about a DUI. Its the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor, at least here in CA. Manslaughter and attempted manslaughter is when someone accidently kills a person, whether using a vehicle or not and her getting off with a ticket is pretty easy.

Old 01-23-2008 | 11:03 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master

I don't care if you make the fines a million dollars each, it will have the same affect as the death penalty (no afffect). Problem is, most people do not know when they are NOT being attentive drivers. This includes drunks, cell phone users and radio tuners, etc...

I am always saddened whne someone is hurt or killed. Buddy of ours got hit a few years back and now has a prosthectic left leg at the knee.

I guess I just don't have much faith in others to solve this "problem," and have come to believe that the "solution" lies within the individual. My wife rides her own bike, and we have acctepted a certain level of responsibility for each of us being on the road at the same time as it relates to our children and family.

Harsher penalties are NOT a deterrent for accidents or being distracted while driving, and serve only as justice for the injured (which I am fine with). With that said, I know I do not drive around thinking all the while about how careful I better be so as to avoid hitting or hurting someone. Hell, that would be as distracitng as a cell phone. I also do not spend my entire bike ride in an extreme state of paranoia about being hit by cars. I have an awareness of my surroundings (in both my car and onmy bike) and drive accordingly.

I might get killed my first time out this spring, and I accept that. I will try to minimize tha possibility by being the best rider "I" can be. I surely don't expect the 17 year old behind the wheel of daddys car to take my life very seriously. I would hope by now that no one esle would either.

In conclusion, I don't really care to have riding made any safer. To me that would only mean more restrictions placed upon ME, and that to me doesn't sound like the direction I think we need to be moving. If you expect to have YOUR existence made safer by laws, fines and jail time, I'd suggest staying home and NOT riding. I've already stated that those things do not make ME a safer driver, so I don't expect it would work on most others either. I am a safe driver because it gives ME the best chance to get home alive, not because I am afraid of having to pay a fine. Maybe I'm different than everyone else.

Old 01-23-2008 | 11:59 PM
UnkleKronik
Road Captain

you're paying for them with all the profits off those investments. lol (who'daknown those damn gi joes would be worth something someday!!)

damn right she should go to jail for negligence.

don't need new jails, reform the stupid fckin drug laws in this country and they'd have plenty of room. or better yet, put them in those fema camps haliburton built for your hero the shrub

or house arrest would be an ideal solution. only cost is the bracelet and a few bucks to monitor

Old 01-24-2008 | 12:50 AM
Kolni
Banned

<sigh> you have no idea how house arrest works.

Old 01-24-2008 | 12:55 AM
UnkleKronik
Road Captain

<sigh> you have no idea how house arrest works.

how's it work? better yet, post how house arrest isn't cheaper and doesn't take up room in the jails you wondered about.

this'll be no doubt more valid than any investment advice you've had to offer...........we hope! lol

those fema camps won't work either?

Quick Reply: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????