General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008 | 04:58 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Default RE: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

massachusetts lawmakers this past week....

1. gave initial approval to a bill abolishing current law that allows drivers to use cell phones as long as one hand remains on the steering wheel at all times. the new legislation going through approval process will ban all drivers from using hand-held cell phones while driving and bans any type of cell phone communication by those under 18.

Old 01-23-2008 | 05:03 PM
UnkleKronik
Road Captain

i think this guy..............

has met our boy harley...................

Old 01-23-2008 | 05:08 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: UnkleKronik

i think this guy..............

has met our boy harley...................

LOL thats that funniest pic I've seen in quite some time..... hahahaha

what's a good name ? Captain Tampon?

99%r

Old 01-23-2008 | 05:11 PM
UnkleKronik
Road Captain

lmao......captain tampax has a certain ring to it don't it?

Old 01-23-2008 | 05:13 PM
HarleyForeverFLHX
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: trafficjams

1. gave initial approval to a bill abolishing current law that allows drivers to use cell phones as long as one hand remains on the steering wheel at all times. the new legislation going through approval process will ban all drivers from using hand-held cell phones while driving and bans any type of cell phone communication by those under 18.

Well it don't take long to do a study to see which states have the most motorcycle accidents. I might be wrong but I think Calafornia is first Florida is second and Texas is third. It would be great if they brought that bill over here. You think im joking , but people in Florida drive crazy. You guys scream if someone runs a stop sign. It happens here all the time. Red lights stop signs, they will pull out in traffic. Our police force has been cut twice in three leaving us with 73% of what we had. And you can tell it.

Old 01-23-2008 | 05:48 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HarleyForeverFLHX

ORIGINAL: trafficjams

Well it don't take long to do a study to see which states have the most motorcycle accidents. I might be wrong but I think Calafornia is first Florida is second and Texas is third. It would be great if they brought that bill over here. You think im joking , but people in Florida drive crazy. You guys scream if someone runs a stop sign. It happens here all the time. Red lights stop signs, they will pull out in traffic. Our police force has been cut twice in three leaving us with 73% of what we had. And you can tell it.
as another posting in this thread put it... it's epidemic.

i have been working out in traffic everyday for years repairing and maintaining traffic signals for commonwealth of mass and i can tell you that it has absolutely got worse. over the past few years my aerial truck has been slammed into twice while in the middle of intersections with all safety lights on and police details present, and the motoring public routinely runs over my cones. it seems with each passing year, my hammer is more willing to take flight through some ******** windshield.

and you are right... it is a lack of enforcement, for whatever reasons.

but more so it is also a lack of education, both institutional and parental. my son recently went through his drivers education here in massachusetts. they did not teach anything of value for instance about highway driving. that is why most kids in mass immediately move from the on-ramp to the deathlane (high speed lane) whether they are going 40 mph or 80 mph. and of course, kids are going to drive like their parents even if those parents drive like the idiots they are. they are, essentially, giving their child a potential death sentence.

i have accepted that roads and highways will continue to become more dangerous with each passing year.

Old 01-23-2008 | 06:19 PM
HarleyForeverFLHX
|
Banned

I've traveled these roads for many years. I used to see people caring . Now they will pull in front of you and dare you to hit them. I see people looking straight at me and then pull out anyway when im on my bike. I've had them deliberately push me over on the highway just so they could get over. I followed one guy with a car full of kids for 40 miles till he pulled in to a BP. He dashed into the store and didn't come out till the cops showed up. They surrounded me fast. Ask me to get off the bike and lay on the ground. They searched me and took me handcuffed inside the store. The guy told the cops I was trying to kill Him and was following them. Well after I told the police that that moron ran me off the road just to get around a truck and didn't stop to help, they turned me loose and ask Him if that was true. His wife said it was . The man lied and said He never seen me before I started following Him and threatening Him with a gun. The wife told the police that not only did He see me, but He called me scum and laughed when he ran us off the road. She told Him to stop, but her husband said maybe someone will run over us so His tax dollars wont have to pay for one more scum bag.
I almost lost my life over a moron that was in such a hurry that he was willing to kill me. Now im not saying everyone is like that. It's the exception rather than the rule, but I see more of it every day. Do you think the guy got a ticket for running me off the road ? NO ! The cop looked at me and said you can leave.

Old 01-23-2008 | 07:30 PM
hitchhiker2706
Advanced

Wow what a lively thread! Gotta throw my .02 in.....the one thing I haven't seen mentioned is a huge fine. A ticket for speeding or whatever that doesn't cause an accident, the usual fine. A violation that causes an accident, especially with injuries,,how about a HUGE fine,,,say a grand or two....that might be punishment enough or at least it might then get their attention. Don't pay it, lose the license. Get caught driving w/o license, go to jail.
I'm thinking the possibility of a huge fine might get some people to pay a little bit closer attention to the way they drive. Losing money makes most people feel a little pain,,,take for example that the threat of the city fining me 100 dollars a day if I refuse to cut my grass to the proper length, then taking my house away if I fail to pay the fines,,sure works to keep me in line and I cut my grass like a good homeowner should.
Big fines for bad driving or a crash, loss of car, loss of license, and possibly jail time,,might just work to change some attitude.
I just find it strange that about 40,000 people die in this country in a year in traffic crashes, and hundreds of thousands are seriouisly injured,yet we just accept it. That many deaths for any other reason and there would be an uproar and constitutional amendments and studies and committees and every other dang thing to try and fix it.

Help me find an answer!!!! [sm=hail.gif]

Old 01-23-2008 | 08:00 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: hitchhiker2706

Wow what a lively thread! Gotta throw my .02 in.....the one thing I haven't seen mentioned is a huge fine. A ticket for speeding or whatever that doesn't cause an accident, the usual fine. A violation that causes an accident, especially with injuries,,how about a HUGE fine,,,say a grand or two....that might be punishment enough or at least it might then get their attention. Don't pay it, lose the license. Get caught driving w/o license, go to jail.
I'm thinking the possibility of a huge fine might get some people to pay a little bit closer attention to the way they drive. Losing money makes most people feel a little pain,,,take for example that the threat of the city fining me 100 dollars a day if I refuse to cut my grass to the proper length, then taking my house away if I fail to pay the fines,,sure works to keep me in line and I cut my grass like a good homeowner should.
Big fines for bad driving or a crash, loss of car, loss of license, and possibly jail time,,might just work to change some attitude.
I just find it strange that about 40,000 people die in this country in a year in traffic crashes, and hundreds of thousands are seriouisly injured,yet we just accept it. That many deaths for any other reason and there would be an uproar and constitutional amendments and studies and committees and every other dang thing to try and fix it.

Help me find an answer!!!! [sm=hail.gif]
Thanks for jumping in. I think high fines would help tremendously. Your point about the number of people killed each year and the number injured continually goes without notice from the media or the politicians yet let one soldier, that volunteered to fight the enemy, get killed and it gets first billing on the evening news. Hell, if they (the media) cared about winning the war they'd be giving daily terrorist body counts, not our soldiers....yet I digress: I said earlier that each year more people are killed on the highways than have been killed in combat since 9/11/01 yet even on this thread it didn't get a rouse out of anyone.

HarleyForeverFLHX made several good points about the way people are...deliberately pulling out in front of him and verbalizing their comtempt just because he was on a motorcycle. Daily I see multiple people pull out in front of HAZMAT vehicles knowing they don't have clearance and then going slow just to make the trucker slow down or ram them. Stop sign, no need to stop, no need to look again if there was a vehicle coming he'll slow down or hit me and then I'll get rich...they never seem to worry about the person they pulled out in front of maybe just having that happen one too many times and really take them out.

Training, testing, enforcement of current laws, fines that require an adjustment to a person's standard of living, these are actions that can change the behavior of people that are generally too stupid to walk and chew gum, or drive and talk, at the same time.

Old 01-23-2008 | 08:01 PM
Kolni
Banned

ORIGINAL: HarleyForeverFLHX

I followed one guy with a car full of kids for 40 miles till he pulled in to a BP.
Why?

What where you gonna do to the guy?

Seriously, **** happens...learn to let it go dude.

Quick Reply: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????