General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:21 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Default RE: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

It's not about being able to drop a cell phone, it's about divided attention, significantly slowed reaction times, and other factors that mean you could be in an accident before you ever get a chance to drop the phone. If you read the studies, they state that even with "hands free" the risks are the same. There is a neurological study from Johns Hopkins that states the reason the risk is increased is because of what happens in the human brain when listening to conversation on a phone, and how it reduces the visual perceptions. All the reading is out there to read. If you choose to ignore it, we will just have to agree to disagree. But all you really have to do is look around at all the bonehead moves people on the phone in cars do daily around you to tell that the studies are right on the mark. I read ALOT on this subject a couple of years ago when my niece killed herself driving into the back of a truck on I-64. She was talking on the phone at the time.....

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:27 PM
sldavis
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Kolni

ORIGINAL: sldavis

I never said they should be treated the same when it comes to punishment. But how can you not agree with the fact that one is as dangerous as the other when all the studies conclude the same thing, that talking on the phone puts you 4-5 times at greater risk of having an accident, the same as driving at the .08-.10 level of intoxication, which is the illegal standard??? I can post more studies, but they all come to the same conclusion....
Simple, I can drop a cell phone when needed, but I can NOT sober up when needed.
And BTW, even though we evidently disagree on this, and that is fine, it is nice to debate it with you, as opposed to the other guy who came on here and basically called me a liar andaccused me ofmaking the studies up, who then disappears when the studies are linked...

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:28 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

Well "Sniper", you asked for links, and accused me of making the studies up. I posted two, and you didn't acknowledge them. Are you pretending they dont exist, or that they are wrong, or just ignoring them???
None of the above. I too have lots of commitments and haven't had the time to respond nor do I tonight. BTW, there is a member with that screen name already so no need to confuse the two.

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:32 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

For all of you adovacting jail time I have a question.

Who will pay for it?

Cause it would cause AT LEAST a 25% increase of the number of people in jail.
I was talking with a local County Deputy not long ago, and he gave me some interesting information...

I live in a rural area, only 8,000 people in the entire County, with most being farmers and ranchers. No major industries or anything like, and we have the lowest 'cost of living' of anywhere in the state.

Even so, the local County Jail has been in a 'overflow mode' for years, as the voters won't approve funding for a larger facility.

He told me that on average, on any given day, there are between 20 to 25 inmates 'farmed out' to other counties to be housed, at a taxpayer cost of $150 per day for each inmate....

That comes to at least $3,000 a day in taxpayer money here in this remote county... I can only imagine what the taxpayer cost must be in larger metropolitan areas, especially if the number of inmates was to double or triple over the current number.

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:33 PM
Kolni
Banned

It's not about being able to drop a cell phone, it's about divided attention, significantly slowed reaction times, and other factors that mean you could be in an accident before you ever get a chance to drop the phone.
I understand what you are saying. But the people that can't drive and talk on a cell phone at the same time cause they get "distracted" or the same people that get distracted by pretty lights or a fluffy bunny in the road.

In short, they are idiots.

Me however, I can chew gum and walk at the same time.

But I can not sober up and walk at the same time.

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:34 PM
Kolni
Banned

And BTW, even though we evidently disagree on this, and that is fine, it is nice to debate it with you, as opposed to the other guy who came on here and basically called me a liar andaccused me ofmaking the studies up, who then disappears when the studies are linked...
I feel the same way.

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:36 PM
Kolni
Banned

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy
That comes to at least $3,000 a day in taxpayer money here in this remote county... I can only imagine what the taxpayer cost must be in larger metropolitan areas, especially if the number of inmates was to double or triple over the current number.
I live in a LARGE city, the capital of California.

I spent 4 days in our county jail and it is VERY nice as far as jails go. So I am sure it must cost more than $3k/day.

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:39 PM
sldavis
Road Captain

I assume you do have a human brain don't you? You should really read the Johns Hopkins study. It was done with MRI imaging of what goes on in the brain under these conditions. So if one was to assume all human brains are basically the same, you are as affected as anyone else. I can't tell you how many DUI's I arrested in the past, and all claim to have been driving perfectly.....and they really thought they were. You should have seen their faces when the videos of how they were actually driving were shown to them in court. You may be a great driver, but if you think you are not affected the same as anyone else you are decieving yourself. Of course, you are right about one thing......there are alot of people who just can't drive period!!!

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:45 PM
sldavis
Road Captain

For all of you adovacting jail time I have a question.

Who will pay for it?

Cause it would cause AT LEAST a 25% increase of the number of people in jail.
Bottom line, our justice system is set up with criminal penalties for purposeful, wanton, or reckless behavior. It is set up with civil recourse for negligence or accidental occurances. Almost all vehicle collisions are caused by some momentary negligence, so civil recourse is the only viable option here. Just think about the sheer number of injury auto collisions that occur in the USA on a daily basis. Are we going to lock someone up in every one of them???

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:52 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

One is premeditaded, the other is not.
BS.......BOTH are pre-meditated.

If cell usage while driving was NOT pre-mediated, the user would either

A: Not dial the phone
OR
B: Not answer it when it rings.

They INTEND to talk on the damn thing.

Quick Reply: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????