General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008 | 08:03 PM
Fla Glide
Road Captain
Default RE: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

ORIGINAL: HarleyForeverFLHX

ORIGINAL: Kolni

ORIGINAL: HarleyForeverFLHX

No one is saying to be afraid to ride, or that riding safely is being paranoid. I find it fascinating that some do think it's paranoia, when the facts are staring you in the face.
Because everyone already KNOWS that bikes are dangerous!

My mother told me when I started riding BMX bikes, and then moped, and then Honda's, and now Harleys.

And I don't NEED another mother cause I am married now and my WIFE took her role.

So unless you plan on taking care of my sexual needs you can stop the preaching!

And less than 6 months ago I crashed at 35 mph due to deisel in the road.

You know what?

I LEARNED more from that crash that I did in the prvious 2000 miles of safe riding.

Who wants to live forever anyways??
Bet you didn't learn this. ABS breaks might of saved your fall. Another safety issue.
Somehow I dont believe ABS brakes would help if you hit a patch of Oil or Diesel, I know if I hit a patch of Diesel or Oil I would'nt be trying to lock up my brakes.
As for the rest of this I'm surprised this has gone on as long as it has... I'm sorry for your friend but things happen thats why they are called Accidents and you have to move on...But there is a difference between stating your points and preaching and at this point in my opinion your starting to preach.....

Old 01-21-2008 | 08:09 PM
sldavis
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: sldavis

It's not up to me to do anything.
Then your points are moot.
Maybe you missed it....after you asked for links, Sniper came on basically accusing me of making the statistics up since I would not take the time to look it up for you. So I did, I posted two links from very highly respected organizations, The New England Journal of Medicine, and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. He, and apparently you if you saw them, choose to ignore the links that I looked up for you, and not even comment on them.[sm=lame.gif][sm=lame.gif][sm=lame.gif]

Old 01-21-2008 | 08:10 PM
HarleyForeverFLHX
|
Banned

I believe Harley has a video of them testing the ABS breaks in all conditions. I will try to find it. I didn't mean anything ugly by saying ABS would of helped. Im trying to make a statement how safety plays a part in everything. My apologizes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VaDHxX3kVM

Old 01-21-2008 | 08:13 PM
Kolni
Banned

It's not up to me to do anything.
Then your points are moot.
Maybe you missed it....after you asked for links,
Yes I did miss it.

My apologies

Old 01-21-2008 | 08:39 PM
sldavis
Road Captain

That's OK. Here's another study from the University of Utah
http://unews.utah.edu/p/?r=062206-1

"We found that people are as impaired when they drive and talk on a cell phone as they are when they drive intoxicated at the legal blood-alcohol limit” of 0.08 percent, which is the minimum level that defines illegal drunken driving in most U.S. states, says study co-author Frank Drews, an assistant professor of psychology. “If legislators really want to address driver distraction, then they should consider outlawing cell phone use while driving.”
Psychology Professor David Strayer, the study's lead author, adds: “Just like you put yourself and other people at risk when you drive drunk, you put yourself and others at risk when you use a cell phone and drive. The level of impairment is very similar.”
The study found that compared with undistracted drivers:
[ul][*]Motorists who talked on either handheld or hands-free cell phones drove slightly slower, were 9 percent slower to hit the brakes, displayed 24 percent more variation in following distance as their attention switched between driving and conversing, were 19 percent slower to resume normal speed after braking and were more likely to crash. Three study participants rear-ended the pace car. All were talking on cell phones. None were drunk.[*]Drivers drunk at the 0.08 percent blood-alcohol level drove a bit more slowly than both undistracted drivers and drivers using cell phones, yet more aggressively. They followed the pace car more closely, were twice as likely to brake only four seconds before a collision would have occurred, and hit their brakes with 23 percent more force. “Neither accident rates, nor reaction times to vehicles braking in front of the participant, nor recovery of lost speed following braking differed significantly” from undistracted drivers, the researchers write.[/ul]

“Impairments associated with using a cell phone while driving can be as profound as those associated with driving while drunk,” they conclude.
One statistical analysis of the new and previous Utah studies showed cell phone users were 5.36 times more likely to get in an accident than undistracted drivers. Other studies have shown the risk is about the same as for drivers with a 0.08 blood-alcohol level.

Old 01-21-2008 | 08:53 PM
Kolni
Banned

I agree that cell phones are a distraction.

What I do not agree with is that they are as dangerous as DUI nor should they be treated the same when it involves an accident.

One is premeditaded, the other is not.

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:03 PM
sldavis
Road Captain

I never said they should be treated the same when it comes to punishment. But how can you not agree with the fact that one is as dangerous as the other when all the studies conclude the same thing, that talking on the phone puts you 4-5 times at greater risk of having an accident, the same as driving at the .08-.10 level of intoxication, which is the illegal standard??? I can post more studies, but they all come to the same conclusion....

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:06 PM
Kolni
Banned

I never said they should be treated the same when it comes to punishment. But how can you not agree with the fact that one is as dangerous as the other when all the studies conclude the same thing, that talking on the phone puts you 4-5 times at greater risk of having an accident, the same as driving at the .08-.10 level of intoxication, which is the illegal standard??? I can post more studies, but they all come to the same conclusion....
Simple, I can drop a cell phone when needed, but I can NOT sober up when needed.

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:17 PM
goblish
Cruiser

I'm also in the position you're buddy is in. Lost my left leg in june 2007girl was playing with the radio hit me head on on my fatboy, she admitted fault and everything as of now she has not even got a ticket for it . The case is going to court as we speak, but all shes getting is a careless driving. OH BOY I lose my leg, ruin my life and she goes free. I personaly think jail time would wake some of these drivers up maybe. If your buddy ever needs to talk to somebuddy about getting on with life after losing his leg let me know.

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:19 PM
Kolni
Banned

For all of you adovacting jail time I have a question.

Who will pay for it?

Cause it would cause AT LEAST a 25% increase of the number of people in jail.

Quick Reply: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????