General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008 | 01:49 PM
HarleyForeverFLHX
|
Banned
Default RE: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????

MAIDS Motorcycle Accident Study: Lessons from 921 Crashes European researchers look at the causes of almost 1000 motorcycle crashes. They have lessons that could save your life. From the December 2004 issue of Motorcycle Cruiser magazine. By Art Friedman.[/align]
[/align]A major new in-depth study of European motorcycle accidents has been published, and while some of the findings skew some when applied to other geographical or cultural areas and we question some of the methodology, it's still worthwhile reading for any motorcyclist who likes his skin the way it is.Called the MAIDS (Motorcycle Accident In-Depth Study), the study looked at 921 Powered Two-Wheeler (PTW) crashes during 1999 and 2000 in France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Spain. The teams gathering the data reconstructed each crash, interviewed witnesses, inspected the involved vehicles, and, when permitted, examined the medical records of injured riders and passengers to identify all the factors that contributed to the crash and its outcome.Researchers employed (at least in part) methodology developed by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) for on-scene in-depth motorcycle accident investigations to maintain consistency in the data collected in each sampling area. This also allows results to be compared to those from other areas and groups that used the same methodology.The investigation included a full reconstruction of the accident; vehicles were inspected; witnesses to the accident were interviewed; and, subject to the applicable privacy laws, with the full cooperation and consent of both the injured person and the local authorities, pertinent medical records for the injured riders and passengers were collected. From these data, all the human, environmental and vehicle factors, which contributed to the outcomes were identified.It also studied 923 riders in similar situations who did not crash to measure exposure (or case-control) data. (The authors explain exposure measurement thus: "This exposure information on non-accident involved PTW riders was essential for establishing the significance of the data collected from the accident cases and the identification of potential risk factors in PTW accidents. For example, if 20% of non-accident involved PTWs in the sampling area were red, it would be significant if 60% of those PTWs involved in an accident were reported to be red, suggesting that there is an increased risk of riding a red PTW. On the other hand, if none of the PTWs in the accident sample were red, it would be an interesting finding, needing further study.")The full study is available online at http://maids.acembike.org / and requires you to go through a free sign-up process. The highlights of the study's findings follow.Before the CrashMany riders worry about being rear-ended, but as in past studies, these researchers say that prior to the crash, 90% of all threats, both from traffic and the environment, were in front of the motorcyclist. The Hurt Report had similarly large number.When riding a vehicle which required a license, unlicensed riders were "significantly" more likely to crash. This is another reminder not to loan your motorcycle to your buddy who used to ride, and, again, it confirms the results of previous studies.Less than five percent of the accidents involved alcohol use by the motorcyclist. The authors acknowledged that that figure "is low in comparison to other studies, but such riders were more likely to be involved in an accident."No one style of motorcycle showed up excessively in crashes. However, the authors found that "modified conventional street motorcycles were found to be over-represented in

Old 01-21-2008 | 01:55 PM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

I THINK I FIGURED IT OUT - FINALLY - HarleyForever is really JAMES R DAVIS, of another motorcycle forum! That explains the wind!

Old 01-21-2008 | 02:05 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sniper77

Lucky? Arrogance? The letters "FU" come to mind. There is nothing lucky about going 25 years in a driving career without being involved in an accident. There is nothing arrogant about knowing what you can do, what you can't do, and knowing the people around you are oblivious to everything except themselves.
I have a supreme knowledge of my ability behind the wheel and what my equipment will do in every situation.
Yeah yeah... sure.
Until you misjudge and/or run out of luck, and some poor bastard will have to pay.
Having been on the "poor bastard" side, I know what I'm saying.

The problem seems to arise with people that lack the skills neccessary trying to place themselves in another person's position. Recognizing they lack the ability of others, they try to impugn a person with greater ability and write it off as arrogance when the reailty is they (that would be you) simply lack the skill, training, and God-gifted talent that the other person (i.e., me) has.
Yeah, it is certainly so.
I don't know you, I couldn't care less about it. You have stated some things in writing. Everybody can read them. I can judge you only by that.
I certainly won't say anything to prove you are wrong, you proved it yourself here above.

Both you and sldavis have made assumptions that lack the substance to rail against me.
About every western Nation, including your Land of the Free, has laws that forbids what you do,
Seems substantial enough to me.
Or are they all wrong and you the only one who's right?

I'm no saint. I speed (here it's unavoidable, but that's another story), I do drifting on open roads. And do that with full visibility, and nobody around. And 100% concentrated on what I'm doing.
If I even have to set my GPS, I go into slow lane, and get into a safe condition before doing anything. If at all possible, I stop.
It's not a matter of lack of confidence in my skill (about which you know ****): it's a matter of RESPECT for every other person out there.

You don't make it out here with dumb luck. It takes skill, training, purpose, and a constant lookout for the idiots that infest our society that ignore the rules of the road and put all of us in danger. That is why my first comments in this thread are demanding that mandatory training and testing be implemented at the state level for all drivers on a continuing basis. No one has the "right" to drive,
First sensible thing you have written. For some reason, the idea that "everybody owns the road" is more and more widespread. Not at all. The road is for those who know what they are doing and behave responsibly.
Unfortunately what you propose would be great if it wouldn't just turn out as another way for the State to grab people's money.
Moreover, it would actually be quite expensive.
To get off the road those who have demonstrated their utter lack of reliability would be enough.
Unfortunately it seems that killing somebody with your car is just like bumping some fender. A matter of minor relevance which can be dismissed without further worry.

it is the State that gives that right and it is the State that should be held accountable when those they grant permission to operate a vehicle prove they are unworthy of that privilege.
Responsibility is individual. Those who prove unworthy of their freedom by not standing up to their duty shall pay for it and be deprived of that freedom. If the State fails to take action when people behave irresponsibly, then yes, I may agree that the State has to be held accountable.
When a driver kills somebody, and then after some time kills somebody else, well... somebody should go to jail (with him).

Old 01-21-2008 | 02:18 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

There is a lot of good infomation shared in the various Forums, and availabile informationis useful for evaluationby an individual when making their own personal choice on a given topic.

But even so, an individual will form their own opinions, and what might be reasonable and acceptable to one person might not be to another.

There is a difference between sharing opinions with others, andbeing overbearing and/or negativewhen dealing withopposing opinions.

When dealing with a group of adults it is a matter of give and take, as no two people think the same, and no two people are going to agree on every issue.

It is not possible to force someone to change their opinion, no matter how much information is thrown their way. If someone wants to change their opinion, they will do that on their own.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.....

Old 01-21-2008 | 02:25 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

There is a lot of good infomation shared in the various Forums, and availabile informationis useful for evaluationby an individual when making their own personal choice on a given topic.

But even so, an individual will form their own opinions, and what might be reasonable and acceptable to one person might not be to another.

There is a difference between sharing opinions with others, andbeing overbearing and/or negativewhen dealing withopposing opinions.

When dealing with a group of adults it is a matter of give and take, as no two people think the same, and no two people are going to agree on every issue.

It is not possible to force someone to change their opinion, no matter how much information is thrown their way. If someone wants to change their opinion, they will do that on their own.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.....

You are right.
The "let's agree to disagree" attitude is always a winner for the virtual community. My fault.
Having been involved in an accident with a guy who thought "could handle himself and had skill", I overreacted and entered a futile discussion with somebody who had just stated "I'm good and you are not, that's why you bash me, neh neh neh", when at 36 years old I should know better.
My apologies to you and the other forumites: hijacking a valuable thread to turn it in a flame is hardly doing any service to anybody. Sorry again.
Nice bike and nice cat, BTW.

HarleyForever, being a novice rider, I'm very safety-sensitive, so thanks to for the precious posts, and for the links I'm now avidly reading.

Old 01-21-2008 | 02:28 PM
route2null0
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sleepman54

ORIGINAL: sldavis

http://bicycleuniverse.info/cars/cellphones.html
This article provides findings from the New England Journal of Medicine.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...12/137294.html
This one is from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

Both articles state that the chance of being involved in a collsion is 4 times greater while on the phone, the same as the legal limit of DUI. If you want more articles, look them up yourself.
Well apparently banning cellphones isn't the answer. Theone study conducted in Australia was donein a townwheretalking on cellphones had already been banned for 4 years.

Now I'm sorry to hear, Harleyforeverflhx, that your friend haslost his leg.I feel sorryeverytime I hear about a motorcyclist getting either hurt or killed.I have found the replies to this thread quite interesting. Many people seem to wantlaws to be made that provide stifferpenalties for car versus motorcycleaccidents, and the reason that is being used is "for our own safety". However if you look at someof the recent threads such asanything about helmet laws and the bills being proposed totake motorcycles away from people going a certain mph over the speed limit and it's taking away or rights and freedoms.So ifthey're goingto make stiffer laws against motorist to protect us shouldn't we also accept stiffer laws against motorcyclists to protect us as well?
"For our own safety"

Indeed. The general public has become so idiotic and sue happy we're forced into a situation where laws are needed to protect such.
I'm all about freedom and my right to preserve it. I'm also all about punishing wrongdoers and not pussyfooting around the laws. I feel that we should be more stringent on drivers/riders and anyone and everyone that has access to a motor vehicle of any kind. Take a physical driving test every 5 years. If ones reaction time doesn't cut the mustard, no soup for you. If you can no longer hold up your bike or make a competent turn, take away the privilege. If some 17 year old ditz clips me or takes out my family cuz she sending a text to her boyfriend, game over. Not saying 'life in prison' but a mere slap on the wrist is 100% unacceptable.

Old 01-21-2008 | 03:20 PM
sldavis
Road Captain

Well "Sniper", you asked for links, and accused me of making the studies up. I posted two, and you didn't acknowledge them. Are you pretending they dont exist, or that they are wrong, or just ignoring them???

Old 01-21-2008 | 03:22 PM
JeepMaker
Outstanding HDF Member

All you can do is ride as defensively as possible. Keep an eye out for idiots, stay alert, and be cautious.

Don't drink and ride of course.

Other than that, if you're gonna obsess about drivers and constantly look up this safety study and that, maybe riding isn't for you.

It's always going to be more dangerous on a bike as long as we share the road with cars.

People die in their sleep, it doesn't make me afraid to go to bed.

Old 01-21-2008 | 03:36 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

I think both sld and Jeep are right. You gotta ride if you're gonna ride. But that does not mean we shouldn't do due dilligence to making people responsible if they hurt someone - not right a ticket - RESPONSIBLE. As damn near close to AN EYE FOR AN EYE responsible as we can.

Why do less people drive drunk? Cause some places go so are as to take your car away.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...98/ai_54232453

Why not for driving while talking on a cell if you do something REALLY Stupid?

Old 01-21-2008 | 03:47 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: JeepMaker

All you can do is ride as defensively as possible. Keep an eye out for idiots, stay alert, and be cautious.

Don't drink and ride of course.

Other than that, if you're gonna obsess about drivers and constantly look up this safety study and that, maybe riding isn't for you.

It's always going to be more dangerous on a bike as long as we share the road with cars.

People die in their sleep, it doesn't make me afraid to go to bed.
The majority of deadly accidents happen at home. It doesn't drive me out of my home. It also doesn't mean I'll change a bulb with wet hands and naked feet with the switch on, or dry my hair while in the bathtub, or that I'll leave my paint spraycans in the nuker, or such.
There is a happy medium between being paranoid and reckless (or plain stupid).
Thare also is such a thing as the Darwin Awards. If it must end badly, let's at least try not to deserve one.
If anybody tells me a tip to be safer, I'll say "thanks" whether I mean to enact it or not.

Quick Reply: WHEN ARE MOTORCYCLIST ?????