General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXRG Nylon Jacket and Pants

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXRG Nylon Jacket and Pants

Anyone have the Nylon FXRG jacket and pants? How well do they work? Are you happy with the performance? Will they keep you warmer than leather?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: FXRG Nylon Jacket and Pants

You sure it's nylon? Nylon doesn't breathe so it'll trap moisture inside. Wearing nylon gear gets really muggy.
I had a cheap nylon windbreaker that I just threw away 'cause it was awful.
I'd think the FXRG stuff would at least be treated Cordura with a Gore-tex liner and some armor considering what $$$ they ask for it.

CN

Old 01-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Azrael
Cruiser

I have the jacket and love it. The liner is a full jacket so you can wear it alone if you don't need the full jacket. I actually wear the jacket into the upper 30's without problems (I don't like my leathers below about 45 or so).

The best thing to me is that the gortex (or whatever it is) liner fits tight to your wrists so wind doesnt get up there if you don't you full gauntlets. Armor is nice to have as well and fits most other Harley jackets (like the new mesh jackets released last year for summer use).

I have been debating the pants so I will wait and see what others say.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:10 PM
MidnightFLHX11
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

my dad just bought the jacket; absolutely loves it! i wore it out in 35 degree weather and wasnt cold at all. its awesome. nice amount of padding and support as well as the removable liner is a great plus. i like it so much i'll be buying one next fall. gotta add all the chrome to the new bike first!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

My wife has had her jacket for almost 2 years. She is always cold and normally would wear a couple of layers plus a sweater under her leather jacket. With her FXRG jacket she wears a longsleeve shirt and a lightweight shirt and stays very warm.
She bought me one for Christmas...normally I don't wear anything but leather but since the weather has gotten colder in the mornings...under 35...I decided to try it out. With only a t-shirt under the jacket I have ridden several hours at a time and have been toasty. With my heavy leather jacket and the same conditions I would be wearing a longsleeve t-shirt and an overshirt to stay warm.
It's amazing how it blocks the wind so the cold doesn't seep in.
We are both planning on buying the FXRG pants to go with the jackets because they are warm and also waterproof like the jacket. We've several friends that ride cross-country and they swear by the jacket and pants. They've been caught in freezing rain, heavy downpours and below freezing wind and have not had any problems with staying warm.
I still like my heavy leather jacket but with the cold weather I'm reaching more for the FXRG jacket in the mornings for my ride to work.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

I've got the FXRG jacket and generally like it. It keeps the wind out, and with the liner in it will keep you plenty warm. Before I got a mesh jacket I even wore it on 90 degree days and with the vents open it kept me cool enough.

As for the pants, you can probably save a few bucks and go for a different overpant solution. I've got the FirstGear HT Overpants and they work great for me. I've worn them without the liner on my ride to work in 32 degree weather and just by blocking the wind they keep me warm enough. They are also waterproofed very well, so they can double as raingear (though with the knee and hip pads they are bulky).

Old 01-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Bluerose

Hubby has one and likes ita lot. He has had it for 2 years.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:56 AM
MemphisMojo
Cruiser

I've got one myself. Like others have already stated it's great in colder temps and has the vents for warmer days.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 AM
Blackhawk
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the jacket and trousers recently and I have to say that I'm really impressed. I've ridden at around 35 degrees with just a rugby shirt(like a long sleeve tee shirt) under the jacketandI was really warm. The inner jacket really does its job. The vents are great too - if you get too warm there are two zips at the front and one at the back and you get instant cooling.I found the trousers arevery good as well. I was a little worried whenI first got them as they are quite bulky and I wasn't sure how comfortable they would be. However, on my first ride in them they proved to bevery comfortable and warm. I like the finishing touches as wellsuch asthepocket for your sun glasses that has a glasses cleaner in it.

The only thing I would say to be careful of is the sizing. The jacket in my normal size was quite a snug fit. That suits me but it might not suiteveryone so the next size up may be better if you prefer a looser fitting jacket. The trousers were fine in my normal size.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:38 AM
DanTMan
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a suggestion- check out the First Gear Kilimanjaro 4.0 jacket and 2.0 HT Overpants. They've got fleece liners and you can wear the jacket liner as a light jacket. This stuff is waterproof, comfortable, and has the internal armor if you like that. Priced better than H-D stuff.

This is the first non-leather motorcycle riding clothing I've ever owned and I've been riding for 44 years. I like it a lot so far- just my opinion

Quick Reply: FXRG Nylon Jacket and Pants