General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NODDING OFF while riding SOBER

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:29 PM
SikRyd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NODDING OFF while riding SOBER

I saw the other post about having a passenger pass out or nod off.

Well I thought a post about the rider doing it would be better.

I have riding all my life. Actually have only had 3 cars, and about 10 bikes. So I have put a lot of miles on.

The funny thing is...the only time I have really nodded off has been on shorter trips 400-600 miles. I have done the iron azz and 2400 miles in 2.5 days. But it seems the shorter day trips of 400-600 have been a little more productive on getting me tired.
I have never ridden drunk thank god, cause I had to quit drinking about 6 years ago due to the craziness. I can't imagine if I even tried to ride after a "few", which was never a "few". Nor have I actually "nodded" off for those opiate lovers out there (been there too - due to being a Dis. Vet).
Nothing really happened the last timeI did coming back from Sturgis on a hot summer day and just kind of spacing out...then popped out of it while I was riding towards the ditch on the right. It WOKE me up. I didn't "feel" tired, but I am sure the heat, and everything else contributed.
It wasn't too crazy, but it could have been worse! That is for sure...

Any close calls out there?

Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 PM
06train
Road Warrior
Default RE: NODDING OFF while riding SOBER

ORIGINAL: SikRyd

I saw the other post about having a passenger pass out or nod off.

Well I thought a post about the rider doing it would be better.

I have riding all my life. Actually have only had 3 cars, and about 10 bikes. So I have put a lot of miles on.

The funny thing is...the only time I have really nodded off has been on shorter trips 400-600 miles. I have done the iron azz and 2400 miles in 2.5 days. But it seems the shorter day trips of 400-600 have been a little more productive on getting me tired.
I have never ridden drunk thank god, cause I had to quit drinking about 6 years ago due to the craziness. I can't imagine if I even tried to ride after a "few", which was never a "few". Nor have I actually "nodded" off for those opiate lovers out there (been there too - due to being a Dis. Vet).
Nothing really happened the last timeI did coming back from Sturgis on a hot summer day and just kind of spacing out...then popped out of it while I was riding towards the ditch on the right. It WOKE me up. I didn't "feel" tired, but I am sure the heat, and everything else contributed.
It wasn't too crazy, but it could have been worse! That is for sure...

Any close calls out there?

Old 01-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Fat Henry
Road Warrior

For me riding is my stress reliever.

I found myself off in lala land one day out on a two lane county black top, whenI finally realized those red lights on the van in front of me meant they were stopping.
WOW heart rate went from 70 to 170 in a second.I had my feet up on the high way bars kinda streched out relly relaxed. Man the ol pucker factor was working that day.

I managed to get in a proper postion and got stopped in time. Since then I've never allowed my self to get that relaxed.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

I nodded off once. In was attempting a 1000-mile ride in one dayfrom Chicago, Illinois toLoveland, Colorado. My bikewas a'79 BMW R100RS. I rodeabout 450 miles,stopped for lunch, resumed the ride andstarted nodding about 10 miles later. I stopped immediately, took off my shirt and started riding again.The feel of the rushing air over my chest was all I needed to stay alert. Oh yeah, I completed the trip in just under 18 hours.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:19 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, happened to me on a cross country trip- probably in Nebraska somewhere. No alcohol or drugs. Just tired, and the terrain was boring. I caught myself before any sort of close call happened. Stopped for some coffee, then kept on riding.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the 80's going between Orlando and Memphis for some reason was going around the Atlanta by-pass at 2 A.M. and rember that I dozed off for a short. That was it. I woke up and got off for a cat nap. That was better then a 850 mile day after all over.

Wife dozes all the time going on a trip on the back of the bike.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:05 PM
GADawgs
Tourer

I don't dose off but most of the time I'm a space Cadet. I usually realize it when I'm doing well below the speed limit!

Old 01-19-2008, 06:14 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I do that ever once in awhile,just cruise right by an exit or forget the last 20 or 30 miles dont even know what happened just dont remember it.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

on the way to Niagra falls I passed my bud and he called me on the radio very softly and said to wake up, I did. Glad he called.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I feel asleep twice in a car, but never on a bike.

Luckily am still alive.

Quick Reply: NODDING OFF while riding SOBER