General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanted: suggestions for Las Vegas Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008 | 05:28 AM
the sniper
Cruiser
Default RE: Wanted: suggestions for Las Vegas Road Trip

we were there in aug last year...

it was very hot....plenty of water required....

Old 01-20-2008 | 05:41 AM
xcelr8
Road Master

My son, Steven and I, try to plan at least one motorcycle trip a year, where we can just fly somewhere, pick up a couple of rental bikes, and ride off with no reservations and a vague plan. Last year we flew to Adams Center, NY, and rode the Adirondacks, Vermont and Canada, so this year, we thought a trip out west would be fun.
The Harley Fly and Ride program has worked out well for us in the past, so we used them again and started the trip by flying to Las Vegas on Friday, October 26th 2007, staying at the Orleans in Vegas, and taking a cab the next morning to Las Vegas Harley Davidson, where our two ’07 Electra Glide Classics were waiting. The Fly and Ride fleet is turned over every January, so by this time the bikes had seen some heavy use and showed 28,000 miles on the clock. Mine had an Electra Glide muffler on one side and a Road King muffler on the other side.
We headed north on Nevada 95 to Beatty, NV, where we turned west and entered Death Valley for some high speed riding through this desolate, but awesome place. About ¾ of the way across the desert, the riding becomes very low speed as the tight, twisty, Panamint Range is negotiated. Coming down out of the mountains, and into California, the riding is flat, and fairly straight, running north in the valley on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. We stopped in Lone Pine for lunch in a Mexican joint (great food) and watched a parade led by 50 bikes for a son lost in the war in Iraq. Continuing north on Hwy 395, we rode past Mono Lake and after 400 miles stopped in Bridgeport, CA for the night. I looked at the crappy $20 rooms and was floored when the proprietor said they were $105 each. (no extra charge for the bugs). Since we were in the middle of nowhere, we had no choice but to stay the night. We always rent separate rooms because we both snore so loud. Having a few drinks in the bar, before getting something to eat, the bartender told us he never owned a cell phone, because they never got cell phone service there.
The next morning we headed west on Hwy 108 over Sonora Pass. At 9600’, the roads were slick and the mountains were already getting snow. Truly spectacular riding through these majestic mountains for 80 miles, until we came to a small general store, where we were able to buy regular gas (no premium sold here) for $4 a gallon. We then headed east, back across the mountains, and then some more high speed riding south on 395. We decided to cut across the desert north of Death Valley, over the Cottonwood Mountains, and that’s where I found out that I’m not as good in the twisties as I thought I am. The Harley Dealer later estimated the damage at $4650, but it looked more like $1500 to me. By this time we figured we could make it back into Vegas for the night, so we set the bikes on 100 MPH and hauled ***. We stayed at the Palace Station for the night, and then hooked up with Adam, a friend from New Jersey, the next morning. We stopped back at Las Vegas Harley, picked up another rental bike for Adam, had them re-attach my windshield and mirror, and headed for the Hoover Dam. Again a great ride. After the Dam we headed for Kingman, AZ Harley-Davidson for our RT. 66 t-shirts, and then followed Historic Rt. 66 to Oatman, AZ. This road is truly spectacular, with it’s very tight, twisting roads, and magnificent scenery. This is one road that every American, and for sure, every Biker, should do. Back across more mountains into Las Vegas and back at the dealership by 5PM to drop off the bikes and to check into the Luxor Hotel for 2 nights. Total mileage logged over the 3 days was 1126. We were registered for the SEMA show, so that took up all of Tuesday, and then on Wednesday, a little gambling (we all won) and the flight home. Another successful “Great Adventure” completed.

[URL=http://imageevent.com/arp1/davidstevensgreatadventure2;jsessionid=o35qm1y5s1. tiger_s]http://imageevent.com/arp1/davidstevensgreatadv

Old 01-21-2008 | 08:51 AM
BaldJoe
Intermediate

I plan on renting a bike while I'm in Vegas for work next month. I've never been there this early in the year... What kind of weathecan I expect during the last week of February? Is a pair of long underwear and a good leather jacket enough gear or will I need something warmer?

Old 01-21-2008 | 01:53 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior

[quote]ORIGINAL: xcelr8

My son, Steven and I, try to plan at least one motorcycle trip a year, where we can just fly somewhere, pick up a couple of rental bikes, and ride off with no reservations and a vague plan. Last year we flew to Adams Center, NY, and rode the Adirondacks, Vermont and Canada, so this year, we thought a trip out west would be fun.
The Harley Fly and Ride program has worked out well for us in the past, so we used them again and started the trip by flying to Las Vegas on Friday, October 26th 2007, staying at the Orleans in Vegas, and taking a cab the next morning to Las Vegas Harley Davidson, where our two ’07 Electra Glide Classics were waiting. The Fly and Ride fleet is turned over every January, so by this time the bikes had seen some heavy use and showed 28,000 miles on the clock. Mine had an Electra Glide muffler on one side and a Road King muffler on the other side.
We headed north on Nevada 95 to Beatty, NV, where we turned west and entered Death Valley for some high speed riding through this desolate, but awesome place. About ¾ of the way across the desert, the riding becomes very low speed as the tight, twisty, Panamint Range is negotiated. Coming down out of the mountains, and into California, the riding is flat, and fairly straight, running north in the valley on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. We stopped in Lone Pine for lunch in a Mexican joint (great food) and watched a parade led by 50 bikes for a son lost in the war in Iraq. Continuing north on Hwy 395, we rode past Mono Lake and after 400 miles stopped in Bridgeport, CA for the night. I looked at the crappy $20 rooms and was floored when the proprietor said they were $105 each. (no extra charge for the bugs). Since we were in the middle of nowhere, we had no choice but to stay the night. We always rent separate rooms because we both snore so loud. Having a few drinks in the bar, before getting something to eat, the bartender told us he never owned a cell phone, because they never got cell phone service there.
The next morning we headed west on Hwy 108 over Sonora Pass. At 9600’, the roads were slick and the mountains were already getting snow. Truly spectacular riding through these majestic mountains for 80 miles, until we came to a small general store, where we were able to buy regular gas (no premium sold here) for $4 a gallon. We then headed east, back across the mountains, and then some more high speed riding south on 395. We decided to cut across the desert north of Death Valley, over the Cottonwood Mountains, and that’s where I found out that I’m not as good in the twisties as I thought I am. The Harley Dealer later estimated the damage at $4650, but it looked more like $1500 to me. By this time we figured we could make it back into Vegas for the night, so we set the bikes on 100 MPH and hauled ***. We stayed at the Palace Station for the night, and then hooked up with Adam, a friend from New Jersey, the next morning. We stopped back at Las Vegas Harley, picked up another rental bike for Adam, had them re-attach my windshield and mirror, and headed for the Hoover Dam. Again a great ride. After the Dam we headed for Kingman, AZ Harley-Davidson for our RT. 66 t-shirts, and then followed Historic Rt. 66 to Oatman, AZ. This road is truly spectacular, with it’s very tight, twisting roads, and magnificent scenery. This is one road that every American, and for sure, every Biker, should do. Back across more mountains into Las Vegas and back at the dealership by 5PM to drop off the bikes and to check into the Luxor Hotel for 2 nights. Total mileage logged over the 3 days was 1126. We were registered for the SEMA show, so that took up all of Tuesday, and then on Wednesday, a little gambling (we all won) and the flight home. Another successful “Great Adventure” completed.

[URL=http://imageevent.com/arp1/davidstevensgreatadventure2;jsessionid=o35qm1y5s1. tiger_s]http://imageevent.