General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Alert!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 11:07 PM
wade1323
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Alert!

This is my first post to the forum but I thought it was something all riders should address. I checked to see if this had already been presented to the forum but I did not see anything in my search, I hope I am not duplicating something. This article came from the Thunder Roads Magazine from the Alabama & Florida area and was submitted by Josh Dodd an avid rider and employed by the insurance business. The info is a little lengthy but I feel we should all respond!!! This is a very important issue for motorcyclists across the country. We have been set up for denied claims by the health insurance companies which was clearly a result of undue influence from the insurance Lobby. Your Group Health Care Insurance provider cannot deny you coverage because you ride BUT they can refuse to pay any benefit claim if you are injured in an accident on your bike. We have an opportunity to correct this injustice RIGHT NOW but it may be too late if we do not stick together and respond. There are two bills in Congress (House and Senate versions) to close this loophole. Follow the directions and let your guys in Washington know that there is broad supoort amoung their constituents to pass this legislation. Go to www.AMADIRECTLINK.COM. In the left column, top item, click on AMA RAPID RESPONSE CENTER. The next screen will show (4) four ACTION ALERTS. Click on the one for the HOUSE INTRODUCES HEALTH INSURANCE BILL FOR MOTORCYCLISTS. Use the scroll down bar immediately adjacent to the text and fill in your name and address information. Fill in your name in the box labeled "Your Closing". Finally click on the "Send Message" box. This will go to the Congressman in your District. It know who he/she is from your address. Go back to the ACTION ALERTS screen and repeat the process for the one titled "SENATE INTRODUCES HEALTH INSURANCE BILL FOR MOTORCYCLISTS". This will go to your Senators. Note that there are instructions for editing the AMA text if you care to change anything or add your own comments. If you choose to do so, keep it clean and polite. Also after reading this if you feel the need, give your congressman a call. You will probably be glad you did. Again, I read this in a local motorcyclist magazine and was proud that Mr. Josh Dodd took the time to make me aware of what is happening. I felt a responsibility to try and spread the word and help the AMA to protect our rights, what few we have left. I was puzzeled when I took out the policy on by '05 EG Ultra Classic and the insurance agent told me my policy did not include medical coverage for the riders. At the time I was so excited about my new bike I did not ask questions, now it is becoming quite clear.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:24 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Red Alert!

I hadn't seen it before either.

Done!

Old 01-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Axholio
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Done!

Old 01-13-2006, 01:38 AM
jrlaidle
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no idea the insurance companies could do this. Thanks for the heads up.
Done!

Old 01-13-2006, 02:39 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ditto...done...and make sure you forward to your riding buddies (it will give you the option to do so after you submit the form)
Thanks for the info man. Much appreciated!

Todd

Old 01-13-2006, 03:11 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Done as well.

I've never heard of anyone being denied coverage, but what the heck. I'm sure its just a matter of time.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:50 AM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phew, I am glad we dont have those issues down here in New Zealand!!! Welcome to the forum anyway, Wade.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:22 AM
BikerInTheDesert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done. And passed on.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:53 AM
harleyboy63401
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Also Done!!![8D] Passing on also!