General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold fingers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:28 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Cold fingers

snowmobile gloves work the best out of any ive used and are relitily cheap and comfortable

Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 PM
rufrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fingerless gloves?

ORIGINAL: Fish Slapper

I was wondering what most people use to keep their hands warm when riding in cold weather? heated grips? heated gloves? what brands do you like? any input would be appreciated!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

HD Windshielder gloves - never been cold with them, even close to freezing temps.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:06 AM
69Shark
Tourer

I have heated grips and thick gloves. I ride daily in Seattle area so the convenience is everything to me. The heat takes 15-20 minutes to work throught he gloves. After that, the heated grips can literally get to hot to handle! However . . . . . If you have a lot of stop and goes, you will be moving your hands around so much the heated grips loose there affectiveness. I noticed on freeway runs or main arterials where I'm not constantly shifting and braking my hands warm up much faster. Love my heated grips and I would not trade them.

Scott

Old 01-19-2008, 02:40 AM
azhole
Road Master

I have heated gloves, gerbing, and when I don't power them I put some gloves I got at cabellas inside of them as liners. Nice and warm. I've only been down to 40 degrees lowest so far, but that's supposed to change tommorrow night, so I'll see then I suppose.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:03 AM
flhx74
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride with normal gloves (oly's or gauntlet) in all temps. Been riding this week in 10-15 degrees...(not long rides). When hands get cold, reach down occasionally and grabthe exhaust for a few seconds with each hand (with gloves on of course) Sounds weird but works like a charm as long as your gloves are leather.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:04 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I've been toughing it down to the teens, but I did finally decide on Heat Demons grip heaters.
They come in Tuesday... hopefully they will give me the little bit of an edge I need so that I can pull the clutch/brake in when it's time to stop.

I've noticed something strange though... My left hand gets much much colder than my right hand. Left hand will be completely numb and way past hurting when right hand is just stiff and cold. Anyone else experience something like this?

It is not unusual for me to spend 2-4 hours riding in the high 30's low 40's....spent 3 hours today riding at around 38 degrees and cloudy.

Wear medium weight no-name gauntlets (with thinsulate). Only thing that ever gets cold is the fingertips...more on the right hand, cause a lot of time I ride covering the front brake.

Gonna try the latex gloves under the gauntlets next time out see if that keeps the fingertips warmer.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:58 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue... I put on a pair of latex gloves under my winter gloves... It worked pretty well, and was free.... I am just got some of those hot hand packs, that I am going to try as well...

Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

The temps at 6am here have been around the low 30's while riding to work.I'm wearing Thinsulite guntlets with glove liners(glove over glove).Fingers get a little cold but not too bad.I just dont want to spend all that money for heated gear.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tried those handwarmer things - damn thing slid down on top of my right hand ring finger knuckle, didn't feel the burning at first, but the blister the next day sure showed me. I always tell people I'm not as smart as I look - or dumber than I look - whatever.

ORIGINAL: JamieCarr

HD thinsulate gauntlets,.......then I shove a couple of them "Hot Hands" packets in the palm and on the top of my hands inside the gloves ,..on very cold mornings. Them "Hot Hands" things work well,........and only .99 cents for a pack at Wally World.

Quick Reply: Cold fingers