General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosed today with prostrate cancer

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008 | 07:35 AM
dz672
Cruiser
Default RE: Diagnosed today with prostrate cancer

ORIGINAL: sparky_mo

He said someone my age should have the prostate removed for a total cure if, and he thinks by all indications, it is contained in only the prostrate.
My brother and my neighbor both had the radioactive seeds done about seven years ago and have had no reoccurence of the cancer.
I would get a second opinion, and look into the seeds. I also sort of went through this. My PSA has been going up very quickly over the past two years. After three rounds of biopsy's, it has been determined that I have lesions on my prostate. Although I currently don't have cancer, there is an 85% chance that I will get it. Because of this, I have done a ton of research on the subject.I have concluded that if possible, I would try the seeds before complete removal. Less side effects. On a lighter note, having a complete removal will help solve the age old dilemma, "Who's going to sleep in the wet spot". My wife didn't find that funny either.

Old 01-18-2008 | 07:38 AM
fmbeach
Tourer

Sparky,

PM sent. Please give me a call. 5 year survivor here.

Glenn

Old 01-18-2008 | 07:51 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain

Guitarist I worked with where I used to live just had that procedure done a week or two ago. He's still pretty sore and can't lift anything over 10 pounds for the next month or so, but turns out the operation could not have gone better. Once he's fully healed he should have a 100% clean bill of health. Definitely check your options with your doctor, well worth it.

Old 01-18-2008 | 08:05 AM
NHHog
Tourer

Get a second opinion this week. Anytime you have to mak a medical desicion that has such severe ramifications a second opinion is a must. However, act quickly. Success rate is fantastic for those whocatch prostate issues early and then treat them. Attitude is one of the most important things when battleing something like this. If you have it done by mid february you will be back on the rode end of April early May with the whole summer and fall to ride and the rest of a long healthy life. You will do fine and are in my thoughts.

Old 01-18-2008 | 08:16 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

Keep your head up

Travis

Old 01-18-2008 | 08:35 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Sparky,
Most important... you have the thoughts and prayers of many. Next, as many have already said, please get a second opinion. And, since you are in Missouri you have access to several University med centers. Go there... the academic rigor and up to date science approach to diagnostics and care should make for a great second opinion. I can't say anything about treatment options, eventhough I personally know, simply because there are four or so options and only an M.D. team can do that for you.

The exact words you used in describing what has occurred, and the doc, would cause me some concern and I would seek a totally independent second opinion. Don't delay!! in whatever you do next.

Take care!

Old 01-18-2008 | 08:49 AM
mattyfatty
Cruiser

prayers are with ya

Old 01-18-2008 | 08:52 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Sparky, God Speed for a workable solution and complete recovery. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I do not know what his initial PSA was, but Pastor Walt was diagnosed 4 yrs ago, did the radioactive seeds, and is cancer free as this goes to print. Take care and God Bless, Gumby and Tracie

Old 01-18-2008 | 09:05 AM
King FLH
Road Captain

I have no personal experience with this matter, but want to say Good luck to you and from what I'm reading here, it sound like it's beatable for sure. If yer gettin down, just think of the open road on your two wheeler. If they treat it now, I'm thinking you'll be on your bike come spring.
Chin up bruddah. We're all pullin for you!!!

Old 01-18-2008 | 09:11 AM
cwilks
Banned

Sparky,

Like somone said earlier, POSITIVE thoughts are a must, and prayers for you for a complete and long lasting recovery.

Quick Reply: Diagnosed today with prostrate cancer