General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denver update-

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Denver update-

DENVER -- One of the four bikers who were mowed down by a black Lexus on Tuesday afternoon remains in critical condition.

Mike McGinley Sr., Mike McGinley Jr., Johnnie Baker and Byron Waggner were riding their Harley Davidsons on Speer Boulevard near 8th Avenue when a car entered the intersection and crashed into them.

McGinley Sr., 45, was thrown about 20 feet and knocked unconscious, friends said. He was immediately taken into surgery, suffering from several internal injuries, including a ruptured spleen. He remains in critical condition at Denver Health Medical Center.

His 18-year-old son is in fair condition and Baker is in serious condition with possibly a fractured hip, police said. Waggner, 46, was treated and released.

None of the bikers was wearing a helmet but, fortunately, none of them had serious head injuries, police said.

The crash occurred before 3 p.m. just outside Denver Health. Police said the driver of the black Lexus was trying to make a turn when she crashed into all of them.

The Lexus driver was treated for minor injuries and released. She may face charges of careless driving, pending the conclusion of the police investigation.

Jeff Thomas said he was riding with the group when he got caught behind at a red light. Just as he was about to catch up to his friends, he saw the crash occur in front of him.

"I thank God that they're all alive. From what I've seen of that, I don't know if I'll ever ride again ... It was pretty nasty. It really was," said Thomas.

Thomas said that the motorcycle riders had the green light.

"The intersection was clear, they came through 8th Avenue and this black car here in the intersection just came out of nowhere, by itself, and ran right in front of the bikes and they all collided with the car," Thomas said.

The crash tied up traffic in that busy downtown area for three hours.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:49 PM
rvisdew
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Denver update-

Thank goodness they are all alive ... any chance of capital punishment for the driver?

Old 01-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rvisdew

Thank goodness they are all alive ... any chance of capital punishment for the driver?
I don't know the law, but she should be charged with something substantial.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:13 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The Lexus driver was treated for minor injuries and released. She may face charges of careless driving, pending the conclusion of the police investigation.
It should be much more than that!

Old 01-13-2006, 01:45 AM
jrlaidle
Advanced

How about charging her with wreckless endangerment. And God forbid the man in critical condition doesn't make it, she should be charged with manslaughter. My thoughts and prayers are with the riders.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:51 AM
hd lady
Tourer

How about we all take turns teaching her how to pull her head out of her as*.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:47 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I think that they ought to go after that driver and give her everything that she deserves.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:09 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

That's why I have the 10 second rule at the intersection. I treat it just like I'm crossing the street look bothways then proceed. My prayers goes out to these gentlemen and their families.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: lil_gmac2

That's why I have the 10 second rule at the intersection. I treat it just like I'm crossing the street look bothways then proceed. My prayers goes out to these gentlemen and their families.
I practice that rule as well. I also have a habbit of trying to ride "shotgun" with a cage, truck or whatever, especially if the green light has already been on. This also works for those pesky left turn nutz.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cage driver will get more than a simple careless driving, all of those type of statutes have enhancements for substantial bodily harm, which is a given with the rider that is in critical condition. The Lexus driver is looking at one or two felonies, in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Denver update-